Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Number19
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55948 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Number19 Second Mock

This mock is a total change from my early, first mock. We've signed our strong armed QB, signed an all-pro NT and upgrade FS. We have a hole at SOLB, but overall, our defense should be slightly improved with our current players under contract. With this in mind, I decided to give Mallett and our offense an improved receiving corps.

#1...WR...Jaelen Strong...6'-2"...217 lbs...4.44 sec 40........Just a few of the qualities which I particularly like: Tracks ball well: Good strength in hands and makes contested catches; Decent leaper who will climb the ladder for a catch or sink and secure the low throw; Excellent red zone weapon; Superb on back-shoulder throws; Skilled working the sideline; Long arms to create a large catching radius. In my mind, I see him as a slightly smaller Andre Johnson.

#2...Slot Receiver...Phillip Dorsett...5'-9 1/2"...185 lbs...4.33 sec 40......Elite speed; Elevates and attacks contested catches; Can adjust to the ball in mid air; Superb route runner; Sudden in and out of breaks; Home run hitter; Reliable hands; Can track the deep ball very well. In my mind, I see Hopkins, Strong and Dorsett giving us the offensive capability of going toe to toe with Andrew Luck and the Colts.

#3...OC/OG...Ali Marpet...6'-4"...307 lbs...33 3/8" arm length...10" hands...30 reps...4.98 sec 40...7.33 three cone...4.47 20 yd shuttle....Small school prospect who held his own at the Senior Bowl; Technically sound.

At this point, I simply had to address that hole at SOLB. With the top prospects off the board, and with John Simon providing veteran experience, I was looking for depth at the position that would simply replace what Reed had provided - strength against the run and setting the outside edge. Reed provided no production on the pass rush, so any prospect couldn't do any worse. And Reed was a DE tweener who converted to OLB, so my thinking was that an experienced OLB would have a jump start on defending against the pass.

#4...SOLB...Lorenzo Mauldin...6'-4"...259 lbs...33" arms...9 7/8" hands...23 reps......Productive and active against the run; Good awareness; Straight line burst; Can change direction quickly; Works his butt off; Strong mental makeup; Knack for beating tackles inside; Finds the ball quickly; Quick footed; Clean footwork; Physical hand use; Quick reflexes; Hits like a truck; Natural leadership traits; Versatile starting experience both standing up as a rusher and coverage defender; Fits best in a 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker, both rushing the QB and dropping into coverage. In my mind, he'll be challenging for playing time very early and the starting role by his second year.

#5...SS...James Sample...6'-2"...209 lbs...32" arms...9 1/2" hands...4.56 sec 40......Muscular, well defined box safety; Proficient tackler in space; Gets downhill quickly; Nose for the ball, with 74 solo tackles and four interception in 2014. Now for the bad - he's raw with only one year as a full time starter. Lack of experience contributes to a lack of instincts and coverage talent. Is a player who needs time to develop into a more complete player. May have to earn a roster spot with special teams play; a good candidate for the PS.

#5b...ILB...Taiwan Jones...6'-3"...245 lbs...34" arms...10 hands...4.95 sec 40...19 reps....Jones is a two down "thumper" with outstanding size and durability, and is a card carrying tough guy with take on traits; Looks to own the middle of the field and will take on offensive linemen coming out to the second level; Heat seeking missile as an A-gap blitzer; Wrap up finisher with unexpected closing speed for his size; Excels coming downhill with violence and quickness. In my mind, I see him as winning the backup role behind Cushing.

#6...OG...Robert Myers...6'-5"...326 lbs...33 3/4" arms...9 1/2" hands...Another small school prospect; Good thickness and strength; Ability to anchor against the bull rush; Footwork is a plus and stays balanced in pass protection; Sound technician; Punch has some juice behind it; Can get to the second level; Has the pass protection traits of an NFL starter. In my mind, I see him as solid depth behind the starters as he gains NFL experience.

#6b...ILB...Zach Vigil...6'-2"...240 lbs...4.68 sec 40...4.41 20 yd shuttle...7.11 three cone...I selected Vigil for one primary reason - to upgrade LB pass coverage. He is not a take-on LB and not a natural down-hill player. But still, he was one of the most productive linebackers in college football, with 20.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks in 2014. Never quits on a play; Active pass rusher: Reads pass keys quickly and gets into coverage with depth; Shows awareness in zone and matches up with crossers in his area; Has adequate man-cover skills and hips to open and run; Wrap up tackler who brings some bang on perimeter tackles. In my mind, I see him playing free behind Crick, Wilfork and JJ.

#6c...OLB...Edmond Robinson...6'-3"...245 lbs...34" arms...10 1/4" hands...4.61 sec 40...20 reps.....Another small school prospect; Frame to easily add more weight and muscle; Played over the TE, matched up on slot receivers and even rotated back to safety; Good initial quickness and ability to engulf targets when tackling: Good pursuit laterally. Now the bad - play strength is nowhere near ready for the NFL; Will need weight room work and time to develop. In my mind, I see him as a potential diamond in the rough who'll spend a year or two on the PS. To earn a spot on the roster he'll need to excel on special teams.

#7...OT...Doniel Gambrell...6'-6"...315 lbs...83" wingspan...10 1/4" hands...And another small school prospect; Athletic with an NFL frame and long arms; excellent first step quickness and lateral movement; Has the footwork to crossface or hook defender; Smooth glider to second level and can mirror and finish in space; Has decent kick slide and set up; Has maturity and leadership; Held his own against FBS level competition during practices for the College Gridiron Showcase; Has big school athleticism and talent; Married with three kids; Needs weight room work, patience and work on technique. With depth lacking at OT, he'll have a shot at a roster spot, but more likely will be a candidate for the PS.

Priority FA...RB...John Crockett...5'-11 3/4"...217 lbs...10" hands...We hit gold with Arian Foster. Crockett is a similar style back. Played in a pro-style attack; Patient runner; Has feel for the hole and a sense of timing on when to burst; Has long speed; Impressive feet that jump cut, side step and reset with ease; Dangerous as a receiver out of the backfield; Willing blocker. At the Shrine game practices, Sporting News writer Chris Kouffman wrote, "Crockett is very strong and explosive into contact. He cuts well and shows good vision...West linebackers were helpless against him during one-on-one coverage drills. It seemed that everything he tried against them worked." Can lightening strike twice?

Last edited by Number19; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:52 AM.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 533725 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Number19 Second Mock

Are you taking Strong over Parker or assuming Parker will be gone?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Number19
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55948 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming the others are off the board. Also, I'd really try to trade down for extra selections, but for this mock, not assuming this to happen.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Rep Power: 30934 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

You said in your comments we have a hole at SOLB. I'm curious why you waited to the fourth round to address it. You don't think bud Dupree will be there at 16 per say?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Number19
Hall of Fame

The projections I've seen have Dupree off the boards.

But my main premise is that, even though we have a hole at SOLB, we do have veteran talent, John Simon, who can start there. Upgrading FS and NT has made our defense marginally better than last year and we played the Colts close - 28-33 and 10-17. My choice to overtake the Colts is to improve offensively rather than defensively at #16. I like the idea of Hopkins, Strong and Dorsett being thrown to by Mallett and believe this would be a high scoring team capable of taking us to the playoffs, backed by our current defensive starters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read