Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-25-2015   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84272 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texians POST Combine Mock Draft

RD1. Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon, 6062, 306, 5.01/40, 25R, 32.5"VL, 4.33SS, 7.25TC; PRO DAY 3/12/2015 - The best OT in This Draft

VIDEOS: UCLA, FSU, OHIO STATE; http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jake...io-state-2014/

RD2. Michael Bennett, DE, Ohio State, 6021, 293; PRO DAY 3/13/2015

VIDEOS: http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=mICHAEL+BENNETT

RD3. Josh Shaw, CB, USC, 6003, 201, 4.44/40, 26R, 37.5"VL, 10'10"BJ, 4.12SS, 7.01TC; PRO DAY 03/11/2015

RD4. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford, 5116, 201, 4.55/40, 40.5"VL, 10.01BJ, 4.21SS, 6.97TC: PRO DAY 03/19/2015

RD5. Kyle Emanuel, ILB, NDSU, 6032, 255, 4.77/40, 27R, 34"VL, 10'BJ, 4.25SS, 7.10TC; PRO DAY 03/26/2015

RD6. Tyler Varga, RB, Yale, 5111, 221, 23R; PRO DAY ???

Last edited by Texian; 02-25-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 229640 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texians POST Combine Mock Draft

I would not be mad at that haul. Not sure Fisher is "The best OT in This Draft" but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him (depending on who else is on the board of course). Good mock!
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84272 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive Tackle Jake Fisher recorded the third fastest short shuttle since 2006 coming in at 4.33 seconds. The Shuttle is said to be one of the best tools used to project future success according to RotoWorld.

Fisher also posted the second fastest time in the forty-yar dash among Offensive Lineman at 5.01 seconds. He was also a workhorse on the three cone drill posting a time if 7.25 which comes in as the eight best Combine time for an Offensive Lineman since 1999.

http://autzenzoo.com/2015/02/20/jake...s-draft-stock/
Old 02-25-2015   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 229640 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Offensive Tackle Jake Fisher recorded the third fastest short shuttle since 2006 coming in at 4.33 seconds. The Shuttle is said to be one of the best tools used to project future success according to RotoWorld.

Fisher also posted the second fastest time in the forty-yar dash among Offensive Lineman at 5.01 seconds. He was also a workhorse on the three cone drill posting a time if 7.25 which comes in as the eight best Combine time for an Offensive Lineman since 1999.

http://autzenzoo.com/2015/02/20/jake...s-draft-stock/
Last year you were preaching that workout numbers don't mean much when it came to Clowney. This year it's the opposite?
Old 02-25-2015   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

RotoWord:

Quote:

Promising Developments

Oregon OT Jake Fisher’s 4.33 second 20-yard short shuttle time was the third-fastest for an offensive lineman since 2006. The drill is one of the most important projection tools we have to forecast collegiate lineman to the next level (if you’re curious why, check out our Combine Preview column from earlier this week). Fisher wasn’t done there. He was tested amongst the best in his position group with a 32.5" vertical jump and a 7.25 second 3-cone. He’s making a real case to earn a Round 2 call.

Roto Link 2
Quote:
Short-Area Quickness

These next two sections are singular testing results that best project future success for certain positions. I am far less attached to these than in previous years, but it has been a tradition in highlighting them… so I will continue. Instead of individual results, be sure to check out the last category which features a full body of athleticism in the form of webs.

First is the 20-yard shuttle for offensive linemen. Here are 12 of the top 18 performances since 2006:

Eagles C Jason Kelce (4.14), Colts C Samson Satele (4.29), Panthers C Ryan Kalil (4.34), Patriots OT Nate Solder (4.34), Jets C Nick Mangold (4.36), Colts OT Anthony Castonzo (4.40), Broncos C Will Montgomery (4.43), Vikings G Brandon Fusco (4.43), Chiefs T Eric Fisher (4.44), Browns G Joel Bitonio (4.44), Texans G Xavier Su’a-Filo (4.44) and longtime T Eric Winston (4.44).

The other event that best projects success if among the top performers since 2006 is the 3-cone drill for edge pass rushers. Falcons' Tyler Starr (6.64), Cardinals’ Sam Acho (6.69), Seahawks’ Bruce Irvin (6.70), Broncos’ Von Miller (6.70), Redskins’ Trent Murphy (6.78), Chargers’ Melvin Ingram (6.83), Panthers’ Kony Ealy (6.83), Browns’ Barkevious Mingo (6.84), Eagles’ Connor Barwin (6.87), Texans’ J.J. Watt (6.88), Lions’ Devin Taylor (6.89) and Vikings’ Brian Robison (6.89) make up 12 of the top 14 times.
Old 02-25-2015   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Last year you were preaching that workout numbers don't mean much when it came to Clowney. This year it's the opposite?
My 2013 mock had Kyke Long in RD 1. Most said he would be RD 2-3 pick. He went #20 to Chicago. I said a the time that Long would go to more pro bowls than the OL picked before him. With two years in the league Long has made two pro bowls. And I'll just leave it at that.

When it came to Clowney his measurables were never in doubt, his heart and dedication were.
Old 02-25-2015   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 422079 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know why I like it, but I do. I like it a lot.
Old 02-25-2015   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 501295 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not bad.

But would it change if we resigned Derek Newton and lose Kareem Jackson and Brooks Reed to free agency without making any big splash free agent additions?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
My 2013 mock had Kyke Long in RD 1. Most said he would be RD 2-3 pick. He went #20 to Chicago. I said a the time that Long would go to more pro bowls than the OL picked before him. With two years in the league Long has made two pro bowls. And I'll just leave it at that.

When it came to Clowney his measurables were never in doubt, his heart and dedication were.
Forgive me but a quick search of your history doesn't show your 2013 Mock. Only reference I see is your claim to having claimed that:

Quote:
Except that some personal opinions are more right than others. Like when Zierlein insinuated I was crazy when I said Kyle Long would go to more Pro Bowls than any of the OL drafted ahead of Long last year. See what I mean Vern?
I was giving you credit on your mock, even praised you for it. Even when I agree with you, you disagree. If you wanna say Jake Fisher is the best OT in the draft, cool. As I said, I'm not sure of that. Are you projecting him as an RT or LT?
Old 02-25-2015   #10
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Forgive me but a quick search of your history doesn't show your 2013 Mock. Only reference I see is your claim to having claimed that:

I was giving you credit on your mock, even praised you for it. Even when I agree with you, you disagree. If you wanna say Jake Fisher is the best OT in the draft, cool. As I said, I'm not sure of that. Are you projecting him as an RT or LT?
Your research is quite good. At the time (2013 draft) I was residing mostly on the Houston Texans message board. (FYI - all those 13' mock picks are on an NFL active roster).

http://boards.houstontexans.com/show...93&postcount=1

I did noticed you were handing out some positives and yet I found I still needed to disagree. Shame on me. Apologies.

Is he a LT or a RT? - Based on what I saw watching the combine, I found Jake Fisher to be the most athletic OL on the Combine field. I was also impressed that he preformed the drills better than the others performing on the field that day. I was amazed how quick his feet are. These are many of the same feelings and thoughts I got while watching Kyle Long perform at the Combine. With 33 3/4" arms and 10 3/4" hands along with his quick feet and athleticism, I think Jake could play both.

Last edited by Texian; 02-25-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2015   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not bad.

But would it change if we resigned Derek Newton and lose Kareem Jackson and Brooks Reed to free agency without making any big splash free agent additions?
At first I thought obviously it would change but on 2nd thought no. Brown is nearing the end the end of his career. Brown's skills are beginning to show deterioration. Ideally play Fisher at RT for a year or two and then move him to LT in 2017. Newton cannot play LT. You kind of get a twofer w/ the Jake pick.

Regarding Kareem, from my pov I don't see the Texans resigning Kareem under current cap conditions. Waynes is clearly the #1 CB after that I don't see much difference in the next 10. Originally I had Waynes as the #1 pick for the Texans until he ran a 4.32. Now (post combine) I think he's long gone before #16 (Minnesota). Regardless the Texans are lacking in good solid players in their defensive backfield.

As for Brooks Reed I think he to is gone because of the same cap reasons. IMO I thought the Texans had already addressed Reed leaving via FA when they drafted Clowney last year. Texans currently have two first RD picks starting at OLB.

and I don't see any splash in FA, not with only about $4 million to spend.

There were a few players I really liked but overlooked because I figured they didn't fit the current Texans scheme. Like Preston Smith but I doubt Romeo drafts a 271lb DE or Eric Kendricks a 230lb OLB.

Last edited by Texian; 02-25-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2015   #12
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 105657 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Could we trade any of those picks for Shlake Shortles???
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 270284 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and I don't see any splash in FA, not with only about $4 million to spend.
Where do you come up with this figure? Everything I've seen says a little over $10M
Shouted out after the drafting of KJo
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 570887 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Where do you come up with this figure? Everything I've seen says a little over $10M
ditto

And Clowney has nothing to do with Reed. Opposite sides of the field.
Old 02-25-2015   #15
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
From what I hear, Yes $8-$10 mil is about right, GROSS. However the Texans must (as must every team) allocate approx. $5 of that $8-$10 mil for IR, LTBEs, Grievances and the Practice Squad. That would leave approx $3-$5 mil to spend on signing (Mallett, Jackson, Reed) and any additional FA(s).

Last edited by Texian; 02-25-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2015   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171345 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good mock

Love Fisher

Want a bigger NT

Would go with a RB with more speed than Varga, although he is a good player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Want a bigger NT
You got that last year. Used a draft pick for NIX (342 lbs) and then signed Picket (340 lbs). Also have Powe (331 lbs.).
Old 02-25-2015   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

I like Erek Flowers, however you spell his name. Just because he's a mean SOB. That's what I want from our OL. The days of cheap shots on QBs need to be gone. I want OL that will punish and break spirits. To me Fisher is a technician. Again, he's not a bad prospect and very well could have a long productive career but when I see a guy like Flowers beating people up while blocking them, that gets me riled up.
Old 02-25-2015   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171345 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You got that last year. Used a draft pick for NIX (342 lbs) and then signed Picket (340 lbs). Also have Powe (331 lbs.).
If Nix shows up unmotivated and out of shape at TC he could be cut.

Powe isn't very good, huge body though.

Pickett may retire.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I like Erek Flowers, however you spell his name. Just because he's a mean SOB. That's what I want from our OL. The days of cheap shots on QBs need to be gone. I want OL that will punish and break spirits. To me Fisher is a technician. Again, he's not a bad prospect and very well could have a long productive career but when I see a guy like Flowers beating people up while blocking them, that gets me riled up.
At the Combine, Flowers looked slow, lumbering, difficulty in drills, not very athletic. My initial thoughts is he would need to move inside and that speed rushers would have a field day against Flowers on the outside. As an OG he may be ideal for what you're are wanting for OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Nix shows up unmotivated and out of shape at TC he could be cut.

Powe isn't very good, huge body though.

Pickett may retire.
Sounds like your typical Texans band aid fix and draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read