Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who is your SuperBowl winner?
Broncos 55 57.29%
Seahawks 41 42.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2014   #261
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

This is the best Super Bowl commercial that we didn't get to see as it was for a local Georgia lawyer....the nonsensicalness of this is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #262
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24336 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
This is the best Super Bowl commercial that we didn't get to see as it was for a local Georgia lawyer....the nonsensicalness of this is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w
So now he's scamming the Insurance industry (mostly) instead of defending criminals. I'm sure there are a few legitimate victims, but it won't make you much money, certainly not enough to produce a Superbowl commercial.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #263
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
So now he's scamming the Insurance industry (mostly) instead of defending criminals. I'm sure there are a few legitimate victims, but it won't make you much money, certainly not enough to produce a Superbowl commercial.
LOL - your ignorance knows no bounds.
Old 02-04-2014   #264
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well, technically he was 5 pts behind with a mere 55:21 left on the clock before he saw the ball again, but still...

Words cannot express how happy I was to see a team just line up and play ball and ignore all that flapping and pointing and other crap Manning does to "outsmart" the defense.
Yaaay for the team that played old skool football!!

I heard an interview with ESPN's Linda Cohn on 610 radio (I think it was 610) during the week before the Game. She said she didn't even have Peyton in her top 6 or 7. She explains why here. Bottom line, she has more respect for QBs that make plays and "do more with less".

When I thought about it, Peyton has had pro-bowl quality weapons at his disposal his entire career going all the way back to Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison during his rookie year up to Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, and Knowshon Moreno this year. Sixteen years and always surrounded by first-rate talent at the " skilled positions".
If Peyton's the GoaT, and have always had the weapons, and has always run the same offense, then why just the one ring?
One statistic I heard before the Broncos/Patriots game was that Brady has had 8 pro bowlers on his teams for his career, while Manning has had 28 pro bowlers on his teams.

Mix that overwhelming amount of talent with the fact that he now holds the record as a QB with the most post-season losses in NFL history (12), and I just don't see the case being made for him unless it's only a debate built on passing/scoring statistics alone.

8 times he's been one and done in the playoffs, too. That's another dubious record, too, iirc.

I'm not trying to tear Manning down. I've got mad respect for his skills and career. But, we are talking G.O.A.T., so big picture analysis has to include everything, warts and all.
Old 02-04-2014   #265
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
One statistic I heard before the Broncos/Patriots game was that Brady has had 8 pro bowlers on his teams for his career, while Manning has had 28 pro bowlers on his teams.
Richard Seymour
Wes Welker
Ty Law
Logan Mankins
Vince Wilfork
Adam Vinitieri
Lawyer Milloy
Matt Light
Jerod Mayo
Stephen Gostkowski
Rob Gronkowski
Mike Vrabel
Randy Moss
Asante Samuel
Brandon Meriweather
Larry Izzo
Corey Dillon
Andre Carter
Tedy Bruschi

That's just part way down the list. I think their numbers are off.
Old 02-04-2014   #266
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Richard Seymour
Wes Welker
Ty Law
Logan Mankins
Vince Wilfork
Adam Vinitieri
Lawyer Milloy
Matt Light
Jerod Mayo
Stephen Gostkowski
Rob Gronkowski
Mike Vrabel
Randy Moss
Asante Samuel
Brandon Meriweather
Larry Izzo
Corey Dillon
Andre Carter
Tedy Bruschi

That's just part way down the list. I think their numbers are off.
They may have been talking about offensive side of the ball only.

The Patriots were loaded on defense for those three championships, so I'd imagine that they would certainly have more than 8 from that time period alone.
Old 02-04-2014   #267
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
They may have been talking about offensive side of the ball only.

The Patriots were loaded on defense for those three championships, so I'd imagine that they would certainly have more than 8 from that time period alone.
That's a lot closer. I get 10 not counting a special teams WR who went or Vinitieri. Leaving Vinitieri off seems like a MAJOR omission to me since Brady might not have any rings without him.

Incredibly Aaron Hernandez didn't make it with 910 yds receiving.

Not disagreeing with the overall point although some would argue Manning "elevated" guys around him to probowlers.
Old 02-04-2014   #268
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's a lot closer. I get 10 not counting a special teams WR who went or Vinitieri. Leaving Vinitieri off seems like a MAJOR omission to me since Brady might not have any rings without him.
Great point, man.

It was one of those NFLN statistics, and we know those things can be framed in a myriad of ways.

I figured it was based on skill positions, with some guys like Marvin Harrison being counted multiple times with numerous pro bowl appearances. Not sure on that part, but that's where my mind went when I saw the stat.

Manning has consistently had better offensive players, but Brady has had better defenses early in his career.
Old 02-04-2014   #269
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235029 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

2012 NFL Draft Grades: Ranking Teams That Failed on Draft Day
Quote:
No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didnít make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasnít bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesnít fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...d-on-draft-day
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #270
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Gee, I wouldn't want to be featured columnist, Donald Wood now.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #271
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
lol! Just goes to show that even so-called "experts" are full of crap.

Opinions are like yada yada yada, we know the rest. But, it's true. This guy writes with such authority, such absolutes, that he now comes off as a complete dumbass when that same "failure" of a draft wins an NFL championship.

My hunch is that guys that blather in the media only do it because their self-proclaimed "expertise" is not valued by actual NFL teams.
Old 02-04-2014   #272
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great point, man.

It was one of those NFLN statistics, and we know those things can be framed in a myriad of ways.

I figured it was based on skill positions, with some guys like Marvin Harrison being counted multiple times with numerous pro bowl appearances. Not sure on that part, but that's where my mind went when I saw the stat.

Manning has consistently had better offensive players, but Brady has had better defenses early in his career.
That's the way I took the stat/comment. Manning has never been without two or three or more pro-bowl caliber guys to throw to going back to his rookie year.

Joe Montana won his first ring throwing to the likes of Freddie Solomon, Dwight Clark, Charlie Young, and Earl Cooper (Go Owls!!). With the exception of Clark (they replay "The Catch" to death), do you remember any of those guys?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #273
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man.... You should post this on the Seahawks' msg board and stand back and watch.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #274
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol! Just goes to show that even so-called "experts" are full of crap.

Opinions are like yada yada yada, we know the rest. But, it's true. This guy writes with such authority, such absolutes, that he now comes off as a complete dumbass when that same "failure" of a draft wins an NFL championship.

My hunch is that guys that blather in the media only do it because their self-proclaimed "expertise" is not valued by actual NFL teams.
Looking through old "day after the draft" grading threads on here is always good for a chuckle.
Old 02-04-2014   #275
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Joe Montana won his first ring throwing to the likes of Freddie Solomon, Dwight Clark, Charlie Young, and Earl Cooper (Go Owls!!). With the exception of Clark (they replay "The Catch" to death), do you remember any of those guys?
Cool Joe is, in my humble opinion, G.O.A.T.

His 11 TDs and no INTs in Super Bowls, not to mention 4-0 record in the big game, speaks volumes.

Outside of Clark, not only do I not remember, but I would not be able to name one of those WRs for his 1st championship if you put a gun to my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Looking through old "day after the draft" grading threads on here is always good for a chuckle.
I think the best ones were in 2006 when the VY mancrush was strong and people were speaking full volume absolutes about his certain HoF career (of course, all this before he even played a down in the NFL).

I respect the folks that like to follow draft stuff and make predictions. But, I know better for myself. I don't watch any college ball, so my own thoughts would be based on the opinions of other people. And my powers of prediction are pretty piss poor unless it's a pick'em type of game for NFL games (and even then I'm average).
Old 02-04-2014   #276
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the way I took the stat/comment. Manning has never been without two or three or more pro-bowl caliber guys to throw to going back to his rookie year.

I don't know. Has he always had 2 or 3 Pro-Bowl caliber guys or does he make them that way?

Demaryius Thomas averaged 27 catches for 417 yards and 3 TD in his first 2 seasons before 18 arrived. He's averaged 93 catches for 1,432 yards and 12 TD with Forehead throwing the rock to him. Eric Decker, 44 catches, 612 yards, 8 TD before Peyton, and has averaged 86 catches for 1,176 yards and 12 TD in his 2 seasons with Peyton.

And now Julius Thomas, who no one had heard of before the season started, is now up there with the elite TEs in the league?

That said, there's more to this game of football than who has the best QB. And just because you don't have a drawer full of rings doesn't mean you aren't great. Nor does a drawer full mean you are. If that's the case, Terry Bradshaw is the GOAT end of story. And frankly, it's a joke that he's in the HOF. Mark Rypien is not a better QB than Dan Marino. Jim Plunkett is not better QB than Steve Young. Not even close.

This is a TEAM game, NOT a QB game. It's hard enough to win in this league in just the regular season. It's even harder in a win or go home situation like the NFL playoffs where the other side has a TEAM as well.

If Manning throws 2 picks against the 2-14 Texans in December, his team is probably still going to win that game fairly easily. And even if his team doesn't win that game, you move on to next week. Not the case in the playoffs.

Peyton Manning's team lost 4 football games this season. So his team can be beat. Unfortunately for him, one of those losses was the Super Bowl. Eli Manning's team lost 7 games in 2011. It just worked out that one of those 7 losses weren't any of the last 4 they played. That's how shit happens.

Peyton Manning didn't lose that football game Sunday because he's a choker in the playoffs or whatever. He lost because the other TEAM was better than his TEAM - that day.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #277
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
I'll be cheering for the Seahawks, but the Broncos will win.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #278
xtruroyaltyx
All Pro

Rep Power: 40367 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
composed of 64 round diamonds with a tsavorite eye. The logo is framed by 12 diamonds. The Vince Lombardi Trophy, made of one diamond, is in a background of 107 round diamonds. Forty sapphires surround the ring's top.

The Seahawks have not disclosed the cost of the rings. The NFL gives teams $5,000 per ring for up to 150 rings, but teams can spend more on the rings and order more rings. Usually, the jeweler absorbs the extra costs, then releases a line of jewelry for fans based on the ring's design.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ive_super.html
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #279
xtruroyaltyx
All Pro

Rep Power: 40367 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Seahawks unveiled their championship rings at a team ceremony in downtown Seattle, with a design that "represents a distinctive tribute to this team, our fans, the Pacific Northwest and the Seahawks victory in Super Bowl XLVIII,"Ě said Seahawks president Peter McLoughlin in a statement.
Designed by Tiffany & Co., the white gold ring features a "three-dimensional Seahawks logo of 64 round diamonds with a vibrant emerald hue," according to the team. Forty blue sapphires surround the ring top flanked by two "12" flags, referring to Seattle's "12th man," the nickname of the club's raucous fan base.
The phrases "LEAVE NO DOUBT", "24/7", SEA 43-DEN 8" and "WHAT'S NEXT?" are also engraved inside each ring.
From the look of it, the shindig was a blowout bash, even featuring a private performance from Usher.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...sherman-061914

xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #280
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 27616 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweet rings this year.

Favourite part is the "Whats next?" in the middle of the ring. Very Pete Carroll. If there is one coach I want to try and motivate a repeat, it is that guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read