Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-21-2014   #41
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Sherman's Big Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I don't get the butthurt over Sherman. This is the same board that supported Antonio Smith trying to brain a guy with a helmet right?

Sherman is honestly refreshing for the present NFL. Same with Suh

And as someone else said, it has been reported that Sherman and Crabtree have an off the field history
Suh is loud and brash but he's a dirty cheap shot artist. I'd rather a league with several Shermans and no Suh.
Old 01-22-2014   #42
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
The nfl needs villains like this. Been to calm since TO called it a day

Your man... Pots and pans
OK! I have to ask if the Pots and Pans are some kind of regional inside joke. Is there more to the story? I've heard lot's of southern phrases, many of which are no longer popular, but I can't recall pots and pans being one of them.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #43
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
The nfl needs villains like this. Been to calm since TO called it a day

Your man... Pots and pans
And who better to play the hero than Peyton Manning? I really hope this Super Bowl comes down to the last play, because it could be epic.

Also, I gotta ask what the hell does "Your man... Pots and pans" mean?
Old 01-22-2014   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Also, I gotta ask what the hell does "Your man... Pots and pans" mean?
Pots and pans.
Old 01-22-2014   #45
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Suh is loud and brash but he's a dirty cheap shot artist. I'd rather a league with several Shermans and no Suh.
I'm sort of on the opposite side. I love the way Suh plays MINUS the head stomps and such. He's been fined an ass load and imo has gotten much better.

That said, I don't have much of an issue with Sherman. I just didn't think running up on Crabtree showed one ounce of sportsmanship. Yes, there were obviously issues between the two beforehand, but why not be the bigger man. Your team just beat his team and sent them home. That's the bigger "in your face" to me
Old 01-22-2014   #46
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm sort of on the opposite side. I love the way Suh plays MINUS the head stomps and such. He's been fined an ass load and imo has gotten much better.

That said, I don't have much of an issue with Sherman. I just didn't think running up on Crabtree showed one ounce of sportsmanship. Yes, there were obviously issues between the two beforehand, but why not be the bigger man. Your team just beat his team and sent them home. That's the bigger "in your face" to me
I see what you're saying about Sherman, but on the flip side, I think what we saw was pure, unbridled and unfiltered passion of a competitor.

We are so used to a sort of scrubbed and sanitized presentation of pro athletes these days, to the point that they have handlers, marketing agents, and even classes on how to neutrally present themselves, that when we see one fired up it tends to dislodge us. This was not the typical cliché catch phrases that we hear over and over ad nauseum. Instead, this was a fire breathing dragon in full beast mode.

When you listen to all the other pro athletes out there talking about this Sherman thing, almost all of them say that this is normal behavior and attitude in the locker-room and on the field. The NFL doesn't like us to see this much unless it's in a sanitized NFL Films presentation. That's why they have a 20-30 minute cool down period after games before interviews. We just got a glimpse of it when the media rushed in just moments after a huge play.

As far as the sportsmanship, Crabtree should be just as lambasted for pushing Sherman's face away. Sherman was obviously getting a bit antagonistic when he was trying to shake hands and saying 'good game', but Crabtree just fed the beast with his reaction. Sherman's emotions got the best of him in the heat of the moment, but it's not like it was unprovoked. Crabtree is a trash talker, too, and this is just another chapter in their rivalry book.

In the big picture, this is good for the NFL. Sherman is not a criminal, does not have issues off the field, and is actually a positive force in his community and various charities. His story is one that can inspire inner city youths to value education and improve their lives, and that is certainly a good thing in this world.
Old 01-22-2014   #47
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I wonder how Deacon Jones, the Fridge or Mean Joe Green would do in today's NFL?.
They weren't talking trash they were just killin' muff-huggas.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2014   #48
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I see what you're saying about Sherman, but on the flip side, I think what we saw was pure, unbridled and unfiltered passion of a competitor.

We are so used to a sort of scrubbed and sanitized presentation of pro athletes these days, to the point that they have handlers, marketing agents, and even classes on how to neutrally present themselves, that when we see one fired up it tends to dislodge us. This was not the typical cliché catch phrases that we hear over and over ad nauseum. Instead, this was a fire breathing dragon in full beast mode.

When you listen to all the other pro athletes out there talking about this Sherman thing, almost all of them say that this is normal behavior and attitude in the locker-room and on the field. The NFL doesn't like us to see this much unless it's in a sanitized NFL Films presentation. That's why they have a 20-30 minute cool down period after games before interviews. We just got a glimpse of it when the media rushed in just moments after a huge play.

As far as the sportsmanship, Crabtree should be just as lambasted for pushing Sherman's face away. Sherman was obviously getting a bit antagonistic when he was trying to shake hands and saying 'good game', but Crabtree just fed the beast with his reaction. Sherman's emotions got the best of him in the heat of the moment, but it's not like it was unprovoked. Crabtree is a trash talker, too, and this is just another chapter in their rivalry book.

In the big picture, this is good for the NFL. Sherman is not a criminal, does not have issues off the field, and is actually a positive force in his community and various charities. His story is one that can inspire inner city youths to value education and improve their lives, and that is certainly a good thing in this world.
Apparently I have sent too much rep your way so I'll just say great post and nailed my feelings on it. Very well said.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #49
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

In his own words and going by the pic taken, he was going up to tell him good game and shake his hand. If true, then Crabtree was the poor sport and has no class.

link
Old 01-22-2014   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Several good points.

Like I said before, I didn't really care about what was said in the interview due to reasons you stated. I only took issue with him running down Crabtree after the fact. You nailed it when you said the 'hand shake' was antagonizing Crabtree. The shove in the face would've never happened if the 'hand shake' never took place.

I don't mind players that are cocky, talk trash (in a competitive way) or think they're the best ever. I think it takes that kind of attitude to be successful in the game. But, running up on a guy after the game's a bit over the top for me.

In the end, I do think Crabtree's the douche of the two. This just struck a cord with me, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
In his own words and going by the pic taken, he was going up to tell him good game and shake his hand. If true, then Crabtree was the poor sport and has no class.

link
Yeah, but to me it was obvious he was being a smartass about it. Like DB said above, he was antagonizing Crabtree
Old 01-22-2014   #51
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Just heard Richard Sherman's press conference. You can tell this whole thing has humbled him some. Honestly, I feel like what he said is overblown, but I didn't care for a lot of things he said and did in the past.

Today, he was funny, engaging, honest, open, and you can tell he's learned a lot over the past few days. I can get behind and support the guy I saw today. Nothing he did or said today was calculated or self serving. Great Job Richard! Hope this continues!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #52
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

I'm very surprised and saddened after reading a lot of Tweets directed at him since that game. These internet tough guys calling him every racial name in the book.

I stand by my thoughts in this thread, but never once did I have enough hate to degrade him as a person or attack his skin color. Overall, he's a good dude.
Old 01-22-2014   #53
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Just heard Richard Sherman's press conference. You can tell this whole thing has humbled him some. Honestly, I feel like what he said is overblown, but I didn't care for a lot of things he said and did in the past.

Today, he was funny, engaging, honest, open, and you can tell he's learned a lot over the past few days. I can get behind and support the guy I saw today. Nothing he did or said today was calculated or self serving. Great Job Richard! Hope this continues!
I saw that as well. He seems like a genuinely good guy that puts his everything into football and naturally can get emotional.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP
Quote:
Richard Sherman says "thug is just a code word for the N-word."
And in sports "scrappy" is code for white guy.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #55
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I saw that as well. He seems like a genuinely good guy that puts his everything into football and naturally can get emotional.
He hasn't always been that way though at times. Today I saw a different guy. A guy that's very likeable and seemed like he gets it now. I like his swagger on the field. I just didn't care for some of the other stuff he did, and he acknowledged his past mistakes in his press conference. I want to see more of this guy and not the guy trying so hard to self promote. He doesn't need to do that stuff anymore. He's good enough to where his play is enough promotion.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #56
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP

And in sports "scrappy" is code for white guy.
Huh ... so all those times I thought Jack Lambert was a thug, I guess I was wrong. He was the wrong color. I guess he was a great guy after all!
Old 01-22-2014   #57
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
They weren't talking trash they were just killin' muff-huggas.
Of course, of course. But back then, Muhammad Ali talked enough trash for the entire wide world of sports.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Of course, of course. But back then, Muhammad Ali talked enough trash for the entire wide world of sports.
Great point about Ali. Sherman has nothing on the word-smith that was Muhammad Ali. That dude walked circles around fools, both inside and outside of the ring.
Old 01-22-2014   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great point about Ali. Sherman has nothing on the word-smith that was Muhammad Ali. That dude walked circles around fools, both inside and outside of the ring.
Yep.

And we all know talking trash pays $$$. Anything to raise your profile, good or "bad guy", increases your income. The "look at me" mentality has worked for decades, even for a few who otherwise would not have succeeded.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #60
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ali was villified for being a self-confident, borderline-arrogant, powerfully masculine, elite Black male athlete, while in his prime.

Same rings true for the following:
Jack Johnson
Chad Johnson
Terrell Owens
Michael Vick
Floyd Mayweather
Anderson Silva
Jim Brown
Mike Tyson
Michael Irvin
Barry Bonds

Richard just needed to know that white folks in America like their Black athletes smiling, and quiet. This is true ESPECIALLY if their on-field performance is ELITE.

Ask the Williams Sisters about that. Ask Tiger Woods about that. Ask Michael Jordan about that. After Jordan's Hall of Fame speech, all I kept hearing about was how mean he was. Then, I watched it, and all I saw was him speaking his mind about everything his life was about in public, for once in his life. He made white folks uncomfortable, and they called him "mean."

When you hear "thug" attributed to a Black male with no criminal record or history of aberrant public behavior, KNOW that it IS an attempt by a racist to communicate his frustration, without using "THAT" word to do so.

/truthful rant

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read