Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2014   #61
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Cap Casualties

From

@evansilva

Here's a rumor connecting Matt Schaub to the #Raiders. Schaub reportedly "has some fans in the organization": rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/…
4:53pm - 3 Feb 14

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub

RECENT NEWS
Quote:
National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli passes along "scuttlebutt" that the Raiders may pursue Matt Schaub once the Texans release him.
Schaub's release is a mere formality, as he's owed $11 million in 2014 salary and bonuses and isn't worth half that much. He could command $3-4 million annually on a backup-caliber deal. Per Pasquarelli, Schaub "has some fans in the organization." We hope the Raiders wouldn't be counting on Schaub to start. Feb 3 - 5:51 PM
Source: National Football Post

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-03-2014 at 09:16 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #62
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
From

@evansilva

Here's a rumor connecting Matt Schaub to the #Raiders. Schaub reportedly "has some fans in the organization": rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/…
4:53pm - 3 Feb 14

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub

RECENT NEWS
On another team, I think Schaub can be a really good signing. He probably helps whatever young QB a team like the Raiders takes to develop and has a chance to be the starter if he has a good TC and they don't have anyone else ready.

Just please not the Texans, that ship has sailed.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #63
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think Ben jones would be a pretty good C. It's really his true position. I don't keep up with cap crap so don't know if it would be worth it or not. I don't think Myers is as good as some think he is. Now that we are changing systems I wonder if he will be as valuable.

I would really consider trading Foster NOW while he still has a high value. There is just to many red flags concerning his future productivity.

While I completely agree with this idea, other teams see those red flags as well and his high salary, injury history, deminishing returns on the field, and off the field baby mamma drama make him difficult to trade. Also for the most part RB's have short careers and are fairly easily replaced. Giving him a high contract was, in hind site, a mistake. I think we'll be stuck with him for at least the 2014 season and then depending on guaranteed money we may cut him as a cap casualty.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #64
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Over $5 million (Base Salary) Club

Johnson - 15.6 million cap #. 3.7 million in cap savings. STAYING
Schaub - 14.125 million cap #. 3.6 million in savings. CUT
Joseph - 11.25 million cap #. 3.75 million savings. STAYING
Foster - 8.5 million cap #. 1 million savings. STAYING
Brown - 8.5 million cap #. No savings. STAYING
Myers - 7 million cap #. 3 million savings. STAYING
Daniels - 6.25 million cap #. 4.5 million savings. CUT
Manning - 6 million cap #. 4.5 million savings. CUT
Cushing - 5.5 million cap #. No savings. STAYING

Other Notables

Brooks Reed - 1.5 million cap #. 1 million savings. STAYING
Derek Newton - 1.4 million cap #. 1.3 million savings. CUT

I am seeing roughly 18.3 million we can recover to replenish this squad.

Note: Numbers from Overthecap.com
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #65
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
That is the over $5 mil (cap) Club.

OD's base is $4.5 mil, Manning's is $4.5 mil and Cushing's is $2 mil.

No change to your numbers, just the title.
Old 02-06-2014   #66
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24336 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
This is simply a rundown of players offering Potential Cap Saving in 2014 with last contract year in parenthesis:

Danieal Manning $4.5M (2014)
Owen Daniels $4.5M (2014)
Matt Shaub $4M (2016)
Jonathan Joseph $3.75M (2015)
Andre Johnson $3.68M (2016)
Kareem Jackson $3.09M (2014)
Chris Meyers $3M (2015)
Shane Lechler $1.42M (2015)
Derek Newton $1.39M (2014)
Brooks Reed $1.02M (2014)
Arian Foster $1M (2016)
Brice McCain $850K (2015)
Brandon Harris $825K (2014)
Tim Jamison $730K (2014)

The rest offer little cap saving since their replacements will cost a similar amount.

Some, like Shaub offer more cap savings in subsequent years.
Revised Numbers:

Danieal Manning $4.5M (2014)
Owen Daniels $4.5M (2014)
Jonathan Joseph $3.75M (2015)
Andre Johnson $3.68M (2016)
Matt Shaub $3.625M (2016)
Kareem Jackson $3.09M (2014)
Chris Meyers $3M (2015)
Shane Lechler $1.42M (2015)
Derek Newton $1.39M (2014)
Brooks Reed $1.02M (2014)
Arian Foster $1M (2016)
Brice McCain $850K (2015)
Brandon Harris $825K (2014)
Tim Jamison $730K (2014)
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #67
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

My mistake. Correct. Over 5 million cap club.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014   #68
Blake
MMQB

So a big question I have is, do we release Schaub prior or post June 1st? I would think getting Schaubs dead money off the books this year would help with re-signing JJ Watt in 2015, but spreading Schaub's dead money out over 2 years would give us some extra cap relief this season if we are truly trying to "win now."
Old 02-06-2014   #69
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Just as an FYI, early estimates of the result of the new Thursday night deal are for the cap to increase an extra $5 mil starting 2015.
Old 02-06-2014   #70
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24336 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So a big question I have is, do we release Schaub prior or post June 1st? I would think getting Schaubs dead money off the books this year would help with re-signing JJ Watt in 2015, but spreading Schaub's dead money out over 2 years would give us some extra cap relief this season if we are truly trying to "win now."
This is true. But you have to realize that not planning for Watt's big contract means the probability of his remaining is reduced. There is always a balance between immediate gratification and building for the future when managing the roster in a cap environment.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #71
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Johnson - 15.6 million cap #. 3.7 million in cap savings. STAYING
Schaub - 14.125 million cap #. 3.6 million in savings. CUT
Joseph - 11.25 million cap #. 3.75 million savings. STAYING
Foster - 8.5 million cap #. 1 million savings. STAYING
Brown - 8.5 million cap #. No savings. STAYING
Myers - 7 million cap #. 3 million savings. STAYING
Daniels - 6.25 million cap #. 4.5 million savings. CUT
Manning - 6 million cap #. 4.5 million savings. CUT
Cushing - 5.5 million cap #. No savings. STAYING

Other Notables

Brooks Reed - 1.5 million cap #. 1 million savings. STAYING
Derek Newton - 1.4 million cap #. 1.3 million savings. CUT

I am seeing roughly 18.3 million we can recover to replenish this squad.

Note: Numbers from Overthecap.com
The biggest thing that stands out to me is Joseph's ridiculous numbers. Dude hasn't played up to a 1/4 of what he's getting paid the past couple years. I'm not wanting to whack him, unless Crennel finds a gem, but he best get his arse in gear. Maybe the different D will help him
Old 02-06-2014   #72
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Count me in the take your licks in 2014 club. Cut Schaub and absorb the hit in 2014. Don't extend anyone to clear cap space unless they are part of a 4-5 year plan. Ask older/frequently injured players like Daniels and Manning to take pay cuts or be cut.

We may not HAVE to give Watt an extension soon but probably should (popular player, in prime...) Even if you don't extend him in 2015, you have money to plug holes O'Brien finds in 2014.
Old 02-06-2014   #73
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The biggest thing that stands out to me is Joseph's ridiculous numbers. Dude hasn't played up to a 1/4 of what he's getting paid the past couple years. I'm not wanting to whack him, unless Crennel finds a gem, but he best get his arse in gear. Maybe the different D will help him
Hey man, he led the team in interceptions what more can you ask for?!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #74
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Hey man, he led the team in interceptions what more can you ask for?!
I think the benefit of saving 4 million is not worth losing a chance at getting JJo back into form. We all know what he is capable of. The D last year had all sorts of problems from coaching to morale. 4 million is not going to get you much in the FA market. And a rookie CB comes with flaws and a learning curve. Lets see what he can do.
Old 02-06-2014   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep

I would be for cutting JoJo/Manning/Schaub/Newton/Daniels

That would represent 16.35 mil in cap savings.

You could bring Orakpo home and sign a Mathis type CB and a Ryan Clark type S in FA with that $$$$.

Draft Clowney/Nix/Sign Orakpo/Mathis/Clark in FA and your defensive problems are basically solved.

Watt------Nix-------Clowney

Orakpo-------Cushing-------Reed--------Mercilus

KJ-------Draft pick (Sunseri)-------Clark-------Mathis

Not a bad defense at all.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Count me in the take your licks in 2014 club. Cut Schaub and absorb the hit in 2014. Don't extend anyone to clear cap space unless they are part of a 4-5 year plan. Ask older/frequently injured players like Daniels and Manning to take pay cuts or be cut.
I think the best thing, cap wise, would be to get Matt Schaub to take a pay cut. A $3M salary would free up $7M, which is $3M more than just cutting him.

Then I would cut him in 2015 as a June 1st cut. It would cost us $3.5 in 2015 & $3.6m IN 2016..... It frees up the most money in all three years.

I don't know if Schaub would do it though. He'll probably get $10M to sign with another team to start. Or at least compete for the starting position.
Old 02-06-2014   #77
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

I would be for cutting JoJo/Manning/Schaub/Newton/Daniels

That would represent 16.35 mil in cap savings.

You could bring Orakpo home and sign a Mathis type CB and a Ryan Clark type S in FA with that $$$$.

Draft Clowney/Nix/Sign Orakpo/Mathis/Clark in FA and your defensive problems are basically solved.

Watt------Nix-------Clowney

Orakpo-------Cushing-------Reed--------Mercilus

KJ-------Draft pick (Sunseri)-------Clark-------Mathis

Not a bad defense at all.
Ummm, what? You would start that guy over Swearinger?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read