Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2014   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Cap Casualties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
"retool not rebuild"
Even if we (fans) get exactly whom we want at each draft pick, those players will not all be rookie of the year types as it will take time to translate to NFL. Hopkins and Swearinger are good examples imo as having good seasons but not a tremendous impact on Ws. I think we should stay away from labeling 2014 as either, just do as well as possible then expect a great 2015. This is the opportunity to dump under performing or players where $ or age to cap is not best for team. Barring trades, we should be able to utilize first five rounds to replace five vets either starters or depth. That does not necessarily include players like Schaub, both Smiths, Daniels and one of NT McClain or Mitchell. It is also possible that lower end of roster or PS or IR players could replace a player above them. I would not be surprised to see 12-15 guys from 2013 gone. 2014 is the year to make some changes without effecting ticket sales.

Going into 2015 with $30 - 50 million + 2014 draft additions + 2015 draft picks could be very sweet.
Old 01-24-2014   #42
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub and probably McCain are the only ones that I want.

Manning makes sense, although it would be a shame as he is obviously the best safety we have. Daniels would be a major step back as while Griffin has shown promise, G. Graham is inconsistent and a worst blocker not having a legit TE threat is one of the reasons the team struggled last season.

If you think we can replace Joseph at corner without hitting on a top draft pick in either the first or second round you are crazy.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Troy Chapman @Chapman_Troy
Quote:
@taniaganguli Who are your top 5 cap casualties that are not free agents. Considering the rough situation the Texans are in.
@taniaganguli: The guy whose loss would help the Texans' cap situation the most should be Texans quarterback Matt Schaub. His cap number in 2014 is scheduled to be $14.5 million. Houston wouldn't recover all of that by cutting Schaub, but it would be enough to make a significant dent. Johnathan Joseph's cap number is $11.25 million next season, Owen Daniels' is $6.25 million and Danieal Manning's is $6 million. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of the latter return, though the Houston Chronicle suggested Manning could be a cap casualty. I don't expect the kind of major roster overhaul that would necessitate cap cleansing.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #44
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If the Texans just cut Schaub and Foster and allocated all of their dead money to 2014, they would begin the 2015 season with over $50 million in cap space.
We'd still be shy on what we need to pay Watt, LOL.
Old 02-01-2014   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Don't need to re-sign him for three years at least unless we want to.

Bigger decisions to be made
Old 02-01-2014   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
We'll burn that bridge when we get there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #47
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's a BIG bridge....
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2014   #48
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gotta sign Watt. That's a must IMO! He's a once-in-a-lifetime player!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
That's a BIG bridge....
By the time we have to cross it, Schaub's contract will be a distant memory.
Old 02-02-2014   #50
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would the team be better off doing a long term extension now and getting it out of the way or waiting, using the franchise tag and seeing how he holds up physically?
Old 02-02-2014   #51
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Would the team be better off doing a long term extension now and getting it out of the way or waiting, using the franchise tag and seeing how he holds up physically?
Use of the franchise tag almost assures the player leaves within a year or two and often results in unmotivated play. It is to be avoided at almost all cost if you really value the player.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #52
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New offense, new defense, and new coaches wanting new players to impliment their schemes. We're already cap strapped and commiting now when its not yet necessary means failure to me. We have bigger and more urgent issues on this team. Jmo.
Old 02-02-2014   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Use of the franchise tag almost assures the player leaves within a year or two and often results in unmotivated play. It is to be avoided at almost all cost if you really value the player.
Let's see:

2007 franchise tagged players
Lance Briggs - still a Bear
Justin Smith - played franchise, not franchised 2nd time - to SF
Cory Redding - franchised, signed 7 year contract
Dwight Freeney - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Asante Samuel - played franchised year with agreement no 2nd tag - to Eagles
Charles Grant - played out NFL career in NO

Karlos Dansby - franchised twice - to Miami
Terrell Suggs - franchised twice, still a Raven
Jordan Gross - still a Panther
Stacy Andrews - tore ACL at end of franchised season - to Eagles - never same post-injury
Ken Hamlin - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Corey Williams - franchised and traded - flop since
Dallas Clark - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Jared Allen - franchised and traded
Nnamdi Asomougha - franchised, signed 3 year contract
Marcus Trufant - franchised, signed 6 year contract

I'm not seeing the same trends you are.
Old 02-02-2014   #54
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's see:

But you're not looking at Dunta
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #55
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If I were the GM, I'd be in contact with JJ's agent. I'd be pinging that guy several times during the year, just to keep the lines of communication open.

If they seemed amenable to a contract favorable to us, I'd try to work out some sort of deal to extend him. If not, I'd wait. I wouldn't enter into serious negotiations unless he seemed like he wanted to get something done that wasn't insane OR I had to.

After this, I'd try to see what I could negotiate when his contract is up and if we couldn't come to terms, I'd franchise him. And then I'd franchise him again.

I love JJ. He's like the perfect player. I'd do everything I could to try to keep him on our team... but... there are limits to what's feasible to what we can do and still field a complete team.
Old 02-02-2014   #56
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After this, I'd try to see what I could negotiate when his contract is up and if we couldn't come to terms, I'd franchise him. And then I'd franchise him again.
Defensive end has the 2nd highest franchise tag salaries, behind QBs. Keeping a franchise tag can really limit a team's cap. That's how the 2 sides generally come to agreement, with the player getting huge $$$ up front and the team getting a lower cap number than the tag. I doubt that Watt ever actually plays under the tag.
Old 02-02-2014   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Defensive end has the 2nd highest franchise tag salaries, behind QBs. Keeping a franchise tag can really limit a team's cap. That's how the 2 sides generally come to agreement, with the player getting huge $$$ up front and the team getting a lower cap number than the tag. I doubt that Watt ever actually plays under the tag.
True but you do not have as much up front and guaranteed money committed; for example Cushing.
Old 02-03-2014   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I love JJ. He's like the perfect player. I'd do everything I could to try to keep him on our team... but... there are limits to what's feasible to what we can do and still field a complete team.
& I loved Dunta, & OD, & Demeco, & Cushing, & I was fairly fond of Matt Schaub. Demeco is making a fine recovery & I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Cush.... but there's a good chance that Jj may not be the player we think he'll be 2 years from now.

He may be a fine player, one of the best defensive players in the league, but not deserving of being the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Besides, unless we trade for Mallet & sign him to a starter's contract, we won't be paying a QB any time soon. Andre's contract should be up in 2017, he'll be 36 years old.
Old 02-03-2014   #59
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's see:

2007 franchise tagged players
Lance Briggs - still a Bear
Justin Smith - played franchise, not franchised 2nd time - to SF
Cory Redding - franchised, signed 7 year contract
Dwight Freeney - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Asante Samuel - played franchised year with agreement no 2nd tag - to Eagles
Charles Grant - played out NFL career in NO

Karlos Dansby - franchised twice - to Miami
Terrell Suggs - franchised twice, still a Raven
Jordan Gross - still a Panther
Stacy Andrews - tore ACL at end of franchised season - to Eagles - never same post-injury
Ken Hamlin - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Corey Williams - franchised and traded - flop since
Dallas Clark - franchised, signed 6 year contract
Jared Allen - franchised and traded
Nnamdi Asomougha - franchised, signed 3 year contract
Marcus Trufant - franchised, signed 6 year contract

Nice research.

Perhaps I'm just recalling the exceptions rather than the rule.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #60
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Ben jones would be a pretty good C. It's really his true position. I don't keep up with cap crap so don't know if it would be worth it or not. I don't think Myers is as good as some think he is. Now that we are changing systems I wonder if he will be as valuable.

I would really consider trading Foster NOW while he still has a high value. There is just to many red flags concerning his future productivity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read