Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2014   #41
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gardner fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'd say you are "getting warmer" with those statements. There was definitely more than a couple of people in the scouting department who thought Rick should have been fired, and didn't respect him as a talent evaluator, but not because they are simply Kubiak guys. I'm surprised it took him this long to give those guys the boot, but I'm not surprised they are gone. Incompetent folks always need to fire subordinates in order to cover up their own inadequacies, and that's all that is happening here.
I think this is certainly possible, but on the other hand has the pro side of the scouting group done anything to write home about? Manning and Joseph shouldn't count as finds as everybody already knew what they were. Myers? And it's not so much the big names, where are the little/low cost FA moves that solidify a roster?

Will never know but I'm curious if this is an any way fallout from the Ed Reed fiasco.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
I think this is certainly possible, but on the other hand has the pro side of the scouting group done anything to write home about. Manning and Joseph shouldn't count as finds as everybody already knew what they were.

Will never know but I'm curious if this is an any way fallout from the Ed Reed fiasco.
Scouting other team's players for free agency isn't the only thing pro-scouts do, they also help with scouting other teams for strengths and weaknesses leading up to games. In week 1, guys like Brian, Kevin and Larry are usually at the Texans week 2 opponent's game. Both of them have been with the Texans for as long as Rick Smith, so that should tell you something. Clearly this 2-14 season wasn't simply a breakdown in the pro-scout department, but of course when making big changes even the smallest rifts can cost you your job. I have no doubt that they will find employment elsewhere, just sad to see the wrong people getting fired.
Old 01-18-2014   #43
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting turn of events.

I'm guessing that O'Brien, after weeks of watching a lot of game film, went to Rick and Bob and said, "um, yeah, about our talent evaluation process..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #44
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

I'm guessing that O'Brien, after weeks of watching a lot of game film, went to Rick and Bob and said, "um, yeah, about our talent evaluation process..."

Sounds pretty similar to what I was speculating.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Scouting other team's players for free agency isn't the only thing pro-scouts do, they also help with scouting other teams for strengths and weaknesses leading up to games. In week 1, guys like Brian, Kevin and Larry are usually at the Texans week 2 opponent's game. Both of them have been with the Texans for as long as Rick Smith, so that should tell you something. Clearly this 2-14 season wasn't simply a breakdown in the pro-scout department, but of course when making big changes even the smallest rifts can cost you your job. I have no doubt that they will find employment elsewhere, just sad to see the wrong people getting fired.
So the question could become did the coaches do a poor job implementing the info gathered by the pro scouts or was the info from the pro scouts poor? Or a combination of both?

And even if they were only failing in part of their job, scouting for FAs; is that not reason enough to fire them?

Also I don't care who you are, if you voice the opinion that your boss sucks at part of their job, irregardless if it is the truth or not, you will likely find yourself no longer employed.

I agree that it should have been a total cleaning out on Kirby, but if that had happened wouldn't these guys have been fired then? I also can see how keeping the GM enabled the front office to move much more quickly in their pursuit of O'Brien.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #46
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gardner fired???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I am curious if OB had any say in these firings.
Sometimes it's the little things that can mean a lot, like Bill O'Brien being listed before Rick Smith on the HT.com website: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/front-office.html

Brian Gardner was brought in by Rick Smith to replace many of the Charley Casserly scouts that were fired by Smith. http://media.houstontexans.com/image...Operations.pdf
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #47
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Like ChampionTexan said, we all know no coach is going to go far without a QB. I don't hold that against Whiz.

He also didn't have Derrick Brooks & Warren Sapp. He took a team very similar to the one we have to the Super Bowl. So did Love Smith.

After Warner & Lienart their stabs at future QB were iffy & strange. I don't know those were his decisions or his GMs. So I don't hold those against him either.

If Rick Smith is the guy his fans say he is, I think Whiz or Lovie was the quickest path to a Super Bowl. I've got nothing against OB. I'm looking forward to next season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Most coaches have some say in their selections. In fact, it is generally a majority. But in this situation it was stated that Whisenhunt did have a say in those choices so yes, he should be held accountable. His inability to right the quarterback position was one of the reasons he was terminated. The Cardinals GM at the time (Rod Graves) was known to defer to his head coaches on their selections as he did previously with Dennis Green.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2014   #48
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why we should have cleaned house and hired a new GM. I have no faith in Rick Smith to turn this around. We could be looking at some lean years in the near future.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
So the question could become did the coaches do a poor job implementing the info gathered by the pro scouts or was the info from the pro scouts poor? Or a combination of both?
It's completely on the coaches to scheme against their opponents and evaluate these things. The scouts are merely creating dossiers on every player for free agency and game planning purposes. The information is generally agnostic towards our team, or at least that's my understanding of it. I seriously doubt that system, which has been in place since Rick got here, had any deficiencies that came out of nowhere this year.

Quote:
And even if they were only failing in part of their job, scouting for FAs; is that not reason enough to fire them?
Maybe, if that was the case. These guys don't really have much to do with the hiring process for free agents. That's Rick's call, and it's generally coordinated with the coach who is going to be using the player. That's why the Ed Reed thing was such a debacle, because Wade didn't have any interest in him, but Rick gave him a contract. Rick always has final say over these guys, regardless of what their evaluations say.

Quote:
Also I don't care who you are, if you voice the opinion that your boss sucks at part of their job, irregardless if it is the truth or not, you will likely find yourself no longer employed.
Never said that, merely mentioned that there were rifts, and as far as I know, it came from disagreements on players. Ed Reed being the biggest one.

Quote:
I agree that it should have been a total cleaning out on Kirby, but if that had happened wouldn't these guys have been fired then? I also can see how keeping the GM enabled the front office to move much more quickly in their pursuit of O'Brien.
If Rick had gone, then maybe these guys would go, maybe not. It's not uncommon in the NFL for the scouting departments (pro and college) to often retain folks from regime to regime. I'm not saying these guys were particularly elite at their jobs, just that the charlatan GM we have is likely getting rid of folks who don't agree with him and could undermine his preferences.
Old 01-18-2014   #50
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This bring some questions to mind.

If this was part of the housecleaning, why weren't they let go sooner? Either the FO was waiting to see what replacement candidates were available, or this decision was made after lengthy review.

How involved were these guys in the ranking of Sam Montgomery and Brennan Williams? I consider that third round as the first failing pebble in the dike of 2013.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans "official" and unofficial Twitterers have been unusually quiet regarding this behind the scenes shakeup. I kind of expected more.

As far as Rick Smith's power, if Mr. McNair see the Patriot model as ideal... and if OB was more a McNair hire than a Rick Smith hire... and if OB turns into what we McNair hopes he'll be... we may be witnessing the beginnings of the marginalization of our GM, regardless of these moves.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they're actually doing what they said they were going to do back in their press conferences. They're taking a long hard review of all aspects of the team and they're going through and cleaning out the parts that didn't seem to be operating at a high level.

I'm not going to be surprised to see some more people fired before this is all over and I'm not convinced Smith is safe, yet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Pollian anyone? I've always liked his work & stand up guy who could help/work with O'Brian.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bob was convinced it was coaching and not talent . Bill said it was both .
Old 01-18-2014   #55
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Bill Pollian anyone? I've always liked his work & stand up guy who could help/work with O'Brian.
The colts, other than the QB, were very average under him.
Old 01-18-2014   #56
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This bring some questions to mind.

If this was part of the housecleaning, why weren't they let go sooner? Either the FO was waiting to see what replacement candidates were available, or this decision was made after lengthy review.

How involved were these guys in the ranking of Sam Montgomery and Brennan Williams? I consider that third round as the first failing pebble in the dike of 2013.
None at all, they are both pro-scouts, and don't review college players. Once the players go through the draft and join NFL teams as draft picks, UDFAs or practice squad guys, the pro-scouts will begin to actively evaluate them.
Old 01-18-2014   #57
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Gardner fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Texans "official" and unofficial Twitterers have been unusually quiet regarding this behind the scenes shakeup. I kind of expected more.

As far as Rick Smith's power, if Mr. McNair see the Patriot model as ideal... and if OB was more a McNair hire than a Rick Smith hire... and if OB turns into what we McNair hopes he'll be... we may be witnessing the beginnings of the marginalization of our GM, regardless of these moves.

Lol. I think O'Brien would have to have a couple of Super Bowls under his belt to get that kind of power. It's why I rejected the "he'll want total control!" argument when we were recruiting him. O'Brien has accomplished nothing as an NFL head coach.

Old 01-18-2014   #58
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 7152 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Scott pioli would be perfect for this job definitely. See kc and ne's rosters for more info.

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #59
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol. I think O'Brien would have to have a couple of Super Bowls under his belt to get that kind of power. It's why I rejected the "he'll want total control!" argument when we were recruiting him. O'Brien has accomplished nothing as an NFL head coach.

You're not thinking like someone interviewing to be a Head Coach in the NFL. Of course every interviewee will want as much control as possible. They believe, as they should, that they will be more successful with their program and decisions than someone else. They also think that giving up any control lessens the opportunity for success and they don't want to be apart of another person's mistakes. If you want me to be as successful as Belichick, then you have to give me what Belichick has, or else you're setting yourself up for more failure.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #60
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
You're not thinking like someone interviewing to be a Head Coach in the NFL. Of course every interviewee will want as much control as possible. They believe, as they should, that they will be more successful with their program and decisions than someone else. They also think that giving up any control lessens the opportunity for success and they don't want to be apart of another person's mistakes. If you want me to be as successful as Belichick, then you have to give me what Belichick has, or else you're setting yourself up for more failure.

Not this debate again. Ugh.

Again: Bill Belechick has multiple Super Bowls.

Repeat it to yourself: Bill Belichik has multiple Super Bowls.

Bill Belichick....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read