Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2014   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Your interest in Texans' 2014 draft

I am always pumped for Texans choices and do many mocks, individually and with my two partners Beerlover and Rmartin 65. Has the roster & management changes, 2013 record, the depth of this draft or anything else impacted or changed your usual opinions on draft?

I long for the future day when we can draft best player each round but that may be some time. The roster & coaching changes has really ramped up my interest if that is possible.
Old 04-13-2014   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your interest in Texans' 2014 draft

Love ya brother but when it comes to the draft, meh.......

I have all sorts of theories and ideologies but at the end of the day, it means nothing. OR MORE IMPORTANTLY what it is that I think would improve this team, means nothing...

Whether or not the Texans draft who I want the bottom line is that I'll be at all 10 games this season.
Old 04-13-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

I have all sorts of theories and ideologies but at the end of the day, it means nothing. OR MORE IMPORTANTLY what it is that I think would improve this team, means nothing...

Whether or not the Texans draft who I want the bottom line is that I'll be at all 10 games this season.
your theories & ideologies could be important Bill. Your comments can make me think & change opinions or lead to more research. I wished you would put more here about your thoughts on team draft.
Old 04-13-2014   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

True

But you must have some favorites that you would like to see drafted and it's frustrating to see the Texans org pass on them and see them turn into successful players on other teams. (See: A.Jeffery/J.Houston)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of moving parts to draft day and lots of changes in the off season already. To me this draft has lots of intrigue because you had ideas last year, but it's really all over the place and a deep draft.

Biggest question of course is what does this staff do long term at qb? Bridgewater has a high floor, but you wonder about the ceiling. I have him somewhere between Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson.

Bortles has the size you want and possibly highest ceiling. Maybe a more athletic Big Ben.

Manziel is a gamble. Guy can be lightening in a bottle, but can it translate to the NFL?

Quite a pack lurking behind, questions about are the so called top there that much better?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm always interested in the draft, because I know it's a pretty big building block towards the success/failure of this team. But I can't follow college football. By nature, when I get into something, I get all in & college football... there's just way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I long for the future day when we can draft best player each round but that may be some time. The roster & coaching changes has really ramped up my interest if that is possible.
I don't know what to think. The Patriots have got their way of approaching the draft that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads. Guys fit their program & guys don't fit their program & sometimes those guys... like I said, are real head scratchers.
Old 04-13-2014   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am always pumped for Texans choices and do many mocks, individually and with my two partners Beerlover and Rmartin 65. Has the roster & management changes, 2013 record, the depth of this draft or anything else impacted or changed your usual opinions on draft?

I'm extremely interested in the 2014 draft, just like every other year. I'm a big proponent of BPA, but not na´ve enough to think that actually happens, except rarely.

I think the roster changes are exacerbated by the new labor agreement. The coaches can't spend enough time actually learning the current players to know the positions that actually need to improve. I see this as a flaw in the current labor agreement and it needs to be addressed. Especially with new HC's.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2014   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm always interested in the draft, because I know it's a pretty big building block towards the success/failure of this team. But I can't follow college football. By nature, when I get into something, I get all in & college football... there's just way too much.

I don't know what to think. The Patriots have got their way of approaching the draft that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads. Guys fit their program & guys don't fit their program & sometimes those guys... like I said, are real head scratchers.
The Patriots have as many misses as hits under BB. He's no more of a guru than anyone else. So much of drafting a player is gut instinct.
Old 04-13-2014   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

I could easily be wrong but I don't remember as much discrepancy in evaluation of top 10-12 players as this year. Players always move around and 2-3 really drop surprisingly and of course there is often one guy taken way above where most predicted (Dallas last year and Oakland in past).
Old 04-13-2014   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I could easily be wrong but I don't remember as much discrepancy in evaluation of top 10-12 players as this year. Players always move around and 2-3 really drop surprisingly and of course there is often one guy taken way above where most predicted (Dallas last year and Oakland in past).
This is also a very deep draft, as far as talent goes. Probably as deep as we've ever seen. Any number of players could be taken at any number of draft spots, depending on how a particular team views a particular player.
Old 04-13-2014   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Lots of moving parts to draft day and lots of changes in the off season already. To me this draft has lots of intrigue because you had ideas last year, but it's really all over the place and a deep draft.

Biggest question of course is what does this staff do long term at qb? Bridgewater has a high floor, but you wonder about the ceiling. I have him somewhere between Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson.

Bortles has the size you want and possibly highest ceiling. Maybe a more athletic Big Ben.

Manziel is a gamble. Guy can be lightening in a bottle, but can it translate to the NFL?

Quite a pack lurking behind, questions about are the so called top there that much better?
Bridgewater's upside = Matt Schaub/ Downside = Christian Ponder

Bortles upside = Roethlisberger/Rivers/ Downside = Sanchez

Maziel upside = Steve Young/Theismann Downside = Bubby Brister/Alex Smith
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Patriots have as many misses as hits under BB. He's no more of a guru than anyone else. So much of drafting a player is gut instinct.
I think they have more misses than "normal" & I think it's because of the way they go about setting up their board. "We" like to believe that there's somewhat of a consensus as to player rankings. Right now, our "good boy" policy drives people up the wall.

Well I don't think anyone knows what it takes to qualify for the Patriots list.
Old 04-13-2014   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bridgewater's upside = Matt Schaub/ Downside = Christian Ponder

Bortles upside = Roethlisberger/Rivers/ Downside = Sanchez

Maziel upside = Steve Young/Theismann Downside = Bubby Brister/Alex Smith
You're awful optimistic about Manziel. His downside is much, much greater than Brister/Smith. Think JaMarcus Russel/Akili Smithy/Ryan Leaf.

Upside would be Young/Tarkington

Except smaller and possibly more fragile.

The interesting part for me ( and it would be much better if it was another team) is how much stock do you put in upside/downside.
Old 04-13-2014   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
This is also a very deep draft, as far as talent goes. Probably as deep as we've ever seen. Any number of players could be taken at any number of draft spots, depending on how a particular team views a particular player.
Agreed. I can happily find good players deep into 6th round. A trade down or two in first and the possibility of other trades in other rounds looks very good. We should be able to resolve key needs and also depth with our 11 selections
Old 04-13-2014   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Having the 1.1 is the least interesting draft position for me. Basically, the Texans are going to be forced into taking a guy that they don't really want because the single worse place to trade down from in the entire draft is pick 1.1 in a year with no clear overall number 1 pick.

We have been talking the same tired handful of players since around Halloween. My interest starts at pick 2.1 ( unless the less than 10% chance of a trade down happens). in short, the Texans can't declare (or make silly obvious) who the number 1 pick is and bleeping move on.
Old 04-13-2014   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, someone used Theisman as a positive example of an upside?

Damn, thought I'd have lived a little longer before having heard everything.
Old 04-13-2014   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
We have been talking the same tired handful of players since around Halloween. My interest starts at pick 2.1 ( unless the less than 10% chance of a trade down happens). in short, the Texans can't declare (or make silly obvious) who the number 1 pick is and bleeping move on.
I believe our chances of trading the #1 pick would go up if St. Louis wasn't so tight lipped. We need the media to start generating some buzz so other teams can start thinking about leap frogging them.
Old 04-13-2014   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You're awful optimistic about Manziel. His downside is much, much greater than Brister/Smith. Think JaMarcus Russel/Akili Smithy/Ryan Leaf.

Upside would be Young/Tarkington

Except smaller and possibly more fragile.

The interesting part for me ( and it would be much better if it was another team) is how much stock do you put in upside/downside.
In considering upside/downside one must also consider percentage of each happening. For example, IMO there is less chance of JM busting so while there could be downside it is less risky for me. That is why I finally came around to him.
Old 04-13-2014   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
In considering upside/downside one must also consider percentage of each happening. For example, IMO there is less chance of JM busting so while there could be downside it is less risky for me. That is why I finally came around to him.
You should be drug tested. Often. As in hourly.
Old 04-13-2014   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You should be drug tested. Often. As in hourly.
or you and I could debate? (Manziel not my drug testing)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read