Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-14-2014   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade with Lions?????

There is an article on NFL.com that says Clowney visited the Lions. The article is titled Jadeveon Clowney to visit with Detroit Lions. Can't do a link from phone will add later.

Anyway they suggest a pre draft trade of Suh. My question is if the Lions offered Suh and #10 for 1.1. Would you do it?
Old 04-14-2014   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade with Lions?????

As much as I despise Suh's play leading to penalties and injuries, I would think seriously about that trade.
Old 04-14-2014   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

He's due for a pay day. Don't think it's in the cards with JJ's deal coming up.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
He's due for a pay day. Don't think it's in the cards with JJ's deal coming up.
Yeh hadn't thought of that.
Old 04-14-2014   #5
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88720 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't Suh have a cap hit of like $20 million this year? No way we can fit that into the cap.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
There is an article on NFL.com that says Clowney visited the Lions. The article is titled Jadeveon Clowney to visit with Detroit Lions. Can't do a link from phone will add later.

Anyway they suggest a pre draft trade of Suh. My question is if the Lions offered Suh and #10 for 1.1. Would you do it?
Suh + their #10? Nope, not enough. If the speculation about us getting 2 or 3 picks this year AND 1 or 2 picks in next year's draft are indeed probable, then that's the way I would trade.

Edit: Just read the other posts about Suh being due a new contract very soon. That just reinforces my "No vote".
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not opposed to trading down with the Lions but want no part of Suh in that trade.
Old 04-14-2014   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'm not opposed to trading down with the Lions but want no part of Suh in that trade.
That would be an expensive move for Detroit. I feel like we still could get a really good player at 10 so I would do it to.

Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Anthony Barr LB UCLA
Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State

That list minus a couple of guys is what you would be choosing from. Possibly 1 or more of the big three QB's Could still be available. There's not anyone on that list that wouldn't play significant minutes.
Old 04-14-2014   #9
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

You'd have to know Suh was onboard and willing to extend/restructure his contract. If he's a 1 year rental it's not a consideration. And what's left at #10? If you dont have a primo target that you love, well maybe you pass. One of the goals here should be to restock the pantry with a lot of quality young talent. Suh would be a massive cap hit. I'd favor 3 or 4 additional picks over Suh I think.

And finally, is Suh a Bob McNair kinda guy? I think we know.
Old 04-14-2014   #10
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

if any trade eventuates it will be after the 3QB and clowney come to town this week. doing their last due diligence on the players.

but to answer the OP, i hate suh but his a beast and he would help this defence tremendously however that expiring contract what makes this a fairly strong no for me.

I agree with kiwi that if we did trade with the lions i dont want suh. would take a lot on their part to move up though
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to have Suh on the team, but the cap figures make it basically impossible. None of the players in this draft are anywhere near his talent level, but they will be a fifth of his cap level and not come with the baggage.

The Jags seem a more likely trade partner with their cap space. If the Texans take a QB and the Rams get an OT, that's the most likely tradeup point for Clowney.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

This makes no sense on several levels, A/Can't afford him... B/last year of his contract... C/A new long term contract for Suh makes it near impossible to re-sign Watt... D/Not sure McNair wants that attitude in the locker room
Old 04-15-2014   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Doesn't Suh have a cap hit of like $20 million this year? No way we can fit that into the cap.
$22 mil and the last year of his contract voids after the SB this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
This makes no sense on several levels, A/Can't afford him... B/last year of his contract... C/A new long term contract for Suh makes it near impossible to re-sign Watt... D/Not sure McNair wants that attitude in the locker room
Square in the ain't going to happen bin.

But I'd kinda like for something more firm to come out that they were even considering it because it sure would put to rest the McNair will only tolerate squeaky clean players meme.
Old 04-15-2014   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

We could trade our 1.1 to Detroit for their 1.10 and Reggie Bush. We could finally take Reggie Bush with the 1st overall pick and make up for 2006.

I kid...I kid...
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

As much as I'd like to see Jj Watt & Jd Clowney on the same team, I can't imagine there would be more than one team out there that would want to see Ndamaka Suh & JaDaveon Clowney on the same team.

If I'm the Lions, I'd love to have Clowney, but no way I'd want to give up Suh for him. That's like... swimming upstream, a lot of work to get nothing done.
Old 04-15-2014   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
$22 mil and the last year of his contract voids after the SB this season.

Square in the ain't going to happen bin.

But I'd kinda like for something more firm to come out that they were even considering it because it sure would put to rest the McNair will only tolerate squeaky clean players meme.
No way this happens with the $$$$ that will be spent on Watt. When does the bank of AJ contract run out?

Fat chance that happens with McNair, unless BOB can talk him into change his philosophies. (Not gonna happen.)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Yeah... now if the Lions wanna offer up MegaTron... I'm listening.

(probably can't afford him either...)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What if Suh not part of a trade but 1.10 and other picks?
Old 04-17-2014   #19
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
10 is quite the leap. Pretty astronomical if you consider a couple prospects to be blue chippers.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Next year's first & second would have to be included (along with other picks from this year), or next year's first & 2016's

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read