Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2014   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Can Force 8 Teams To Appear On Hard Knocks (Texans exempt)

Link to full story
The NFL Can Force These Eight Teams To Appear On Hard Knocks

Quote:
After the NFL and HBO had a devil of a time finding a team to agree to be on Hard Knocks, owners passed a new rule. Now the league can force a team to admit HBO cameras into their training camp unless that team a)has a new head coach, b)made the playoffs in one of the previous two seasons, or c)already appeared on the show in the last 10 years.

Well into the playoffs, and with all the coach firings completed, we can now figure out which teams are exempt from appearing on next year's edition. Thankfully we don't have to! Reader Ryan did the dirty work.

The NFL can force these teams to appear on Hard Knocks in 2014:

Bears
Bills
Cardinals
Giants
Jaguars
Raiders
Rams
Steelers
I would like to see the Texans on Hard Knocks but I don't think it will ever happen and I understand why.

Last edited by srrono; 01-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No Hard Knocks for Texans with new HC

Texans will be eligible next year.

I would love to see them on it.

Also, this is a list of teams that can be forced to accept, not a list of teams who are exclusively eligible, correct?

I mean, if the Cowboys or 49ers offered to allow HBO in, they would be eligible, no?
Old 01-20-2014   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

I would love to see them on it.

Also, this is a list of teams that can be forced to accept, not a list of teams who are exclusively eligible, correct?

I mean, if the Cowboys or 49ers offered to allow HBO in, they would be eligible, no?
Yes this is the list of teams that the NFL can force to accept but any team could volunteer.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #4
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not if they make the playoffs. Then they cant be forced ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #5
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

This year would be great. New head coach and players responding to him and a new regime...
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #6
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 24531 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see them on hard knocks -- it would at least give
me something to be excited about after 2-14
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #7
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 38966 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I'd love to see them on hard knocks -- it would at least give
me something to be excited about after 2-14
I think they should spend a season following fired coaches around.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2014   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not want to ever see the Texans on that silly ass show. They need to concentrate on football, not being on TV.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if BOB will open up access to Texans' TC this summer ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I do not want to ever see the Texans on that silly ass show. They need to concentrate on football, not being on TV.
Yup - never want to see the Texans on that show. They have wisely turned it down several times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Wonder if BOB will open up access to Texans' TC this summer ?
As opposed to?
Old 01-21-2014   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup - never want to see the Texans on that show. They have wisely turned it down several times already.
They also begged for it and lost to the Jets.

I honestly can't fathom why a fan of the team wouldn't want them on the show.
Old 01-21-2014   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Begged is a stretch. McNair said they were interested. There weren't any reports of wining and dining like the Jets did.

There is no upside for the team. That's why.
Old 01-21-2014   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There is no upside for the team. That's why.
Is there a downside?

The upside is for us, as fans, obviously.
Old 01-21-2014   #14
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't want to see them on the BS stay focused on the task at hand getting to the playoffs and winning not being on some BS TV show.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Is there a downside?
Yes, distraction for the players and coaching altered to fit on camera.

Quote:
The upside is for us, as fans, obviously.
Not in my book. What happens on the field when the games count is the only place for upside and this doesn't facilitate on the field success.
Old 01-21-2014   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, distraction for the players and coaching altered to fit on camera.
As evidenced by what?

When's the last instance where you can draw a direct correlation between a team appearing on Hard Knocks and some distraction which adversely affected the team?

OTOH, you don't have to look further than last season's Hard Knocks team to see a team that participated on the show and went on to win a division title.
Old 01-21-2014   #17
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Didn't you hear? If you're on hard knocks your team is automatically eliminated from playoff contention. It's the rules.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
As evidenced by what?
This one is too common sense to argue. There are only two possibilities - no effect and ill effect.

Quote:
When's the last instance where you can draw a direct correlation between a team appearing on Hard Knocks and some distraction which adversely affected the team?

OTOH, you don't have to look further than last season's Hard Knocks team to see a team that participated on the show and went on to win a division title.
Ravens - worse.
Cowboys - same bad result.
Chiefs - much worse.
Cowboys #2 - much worse.
Bengals - much better (and obviously the result of Palmer and Chad returning healthy rather than the show).
Jets - same.
Dolphins - same.
Bengals - same.

You would be hard pressed to pick 8 team/year combos at random and come up with only 1 team that improved.

I'd watch it but there is no argument it is good for the team on the field.
Old 01-21-2014   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ravens - worse.
Chiefs - much worse.
Cowboys #2 - much worse.
Bengals - much better (and obviously the result of Palmer and Chad returning healthy rather than the show).
Jets - same.
Dolphins - same.
Bengals - same.

You would be hard pressed to pick 8 team/year combos at random and come up with only 1 team that improved.

So, we have 3 teams in 8 that have finished with a worse record the season they participated in Hard Knocks compared to the season prior (and one of those teams was coming off a Super Bowl win and still managed to win 10 games in the season they participated in Hard Knocks).

Further, the win differential for all teams participating in Hard Knocks compared to the year prior is -1.

I get the premise, but color me unconvinced the show has any impact on the season at all.

Also, even if the numbers did support the premise better, you haven't identified any specific "distraction" stemming from the show that could be linked to the drop off in performance.
Old 01-21-2014   #20
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This one is too common sense to argue. There are only two possibilities - no effect and ill effect.

Ravens - worse.
Chiefs - much worse.
Cowboys #2 - much worse.
Jets - same.
Dolphins - same.
Bengals - same.

All the teams mentioned have management/ownership problems that impact the record more so than the tv show. The only exception is the Ravens.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read