Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2014   #121
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Already claimed that one. I think it could happen.
If you believe that Schaub was always dealing with injuries, try to remember that Yates has proven to be quite fragile dating back to 2011.........dealing with shoulder problems (including a separation on one side), and throwing elbow and back problems since 2012.......and most of this after very little game play and very sparse practice time. There was good reason why Yates was given such little consideration for real game time after the 2011 season.......and did so poorly in his very limited 2012 and 2013 game appearances And there is no reason to believe that these type of mounting problems won't continue their course, and his performance continue to be unacceptable.

[This is not to even mention his Tar Heels experience where he was stricken with ankle sprains, ankle fracture, throwing shoulder problems leading to surgery, and, of course, his infamous thumb sprain incurred while playing Frisbee. The latter made national news due to the panzy-sounding event. He later tried to explain that he incurred it with a redshirt teammate in a informal non-contact "redshirt football" activity (which would be bad enough).]

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 01-31-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: ADD
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #122
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...try to remember that Yates has... shoulder problems (including a separation on one side), and throwing elbow and back problems since 2012... ankle sprains, ankle fracture, throwing shoulder problems leading to surgery, and, of course, his infamous thumb sprain incurred while playing Frisbee...
Well, eff the TJ Yates idea...

Looks like we're drafting!!!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #123
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you believe that Schaub was always dealing with injuries, try to remember that Yates has proven to be quite fragile dating back to 2011.........dealing with shoulder problems (including a separation on one side), and throwing elbow and back problems since 2012.......and most of this after very little game play and very sparse practice time. There was good reason why Yates was given such little consideration for real game time after the 2011 season.......and did so poorly in his very limited 2012 and 2013 game appearances And there is no reason to believe that these type of mounting problems won't continue their course, and his performance continue to be unacceptable.

[This is not to even mention his Tar Heels experience where he was stricken with ankle sprains, ankle fracture, throwing shoulder problems leading to surgery, and, of course, his infamous thumb sprain incurred while playing Frisbee. The latter made national news due to the panzy-sounding event. He later tried to explain that he incurred it with a redshirt teammate in a informal non-contact "redshirt football" activity (which would be bad enough).]
GeezUs!! Is there a photo of Yates in the dictionary next to the term "injury prone"?

I mean FRISBEE for cripes sakes!!
Was it full contact or flag frisbee?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #124
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
GeezUs!! Is there a photo of Yates in the dictionary next to the term "injury prone"?

I mean FRISBEE for cripes sakes!!
Was it full contact or flag frisbee?
Sadly, it was frisbee golf. Wicked carom off an oak he didn't see guarding the basket.
Old 02-01-2014   #125
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sadly, it was frisbee golf. Wicked carom off an oak he didn't see guarding the basket.
I've never heard of frisbee golf...
had to look that up

...you were kidding, right?
it was ultimate frisbee wasn't it??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #126
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Our next guy needs to work like this guy. I don't recall anyone describing a Texan QB's work habits like this...

Quote:
"If you drop a pass, he'll try to settle you and say, 'You have to make that play, you have to make that play,'" said Dreessen, who signed with the Denver Broncos in 2012. "It's not like he's trying to embarrass you or make you feel like crap. There was one time, I dropped a pass. It was in Mile High, a regular-season game. The sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see it and I couldn't bring in the ball. He yelled at me and I said, 'Man, I can't see.' The whole next week at practice, he was giving me grief for the sun being in my eyes. Basically, it was like, 'You have to learn to catch the ball even when the sun is in your eyes.

"When we miss a throw in practice, you can expect to stay after to do it again, even if it's just on air. He wants to walk off the field feeling good about every play.

"On game day, he's pretty serious. He doesn't joke in the huddle or on the sideline. He'll joke around in meetings at times, but I can't think of any game day where he did. Actually, I remember one game where he smiled. It was the opener [Manning's seven-touchdown performance]. I was inactive because I was hurt. He had just thrown touchdown No. 5 against the Ravens and I greeted him on the sideline. I said, 'Five touchdowns?!' He was smiling a little and, under his breath, he said, 'There might be more.' He was right.

"He's a machine. It makes you feel like, if you're in another offense or have another quarterback, you're beating your head against the wall because they can't do what he does as far as getting us in the best play every time. Really, he's like a scientist, except he's 6-foot-5 and he throws the ball amazingly accurate.

"He's going to put it most of the time where you -- and only you -- can catch it. When I first got here, I was frustrated because if I was wide open, most quarterbacks would put the ball right on me. But he's going to keep leading you so you can run underneath it and have more room to run after the catch, keeping it further away from the defender. It's a very catchable ball, a very accurate ball. Even when it's not, he expects you to catch it.

"You definitely want to match his work ethic and preparation. It kind of gets to be a competition: Who can know more about the opponent than Peyton? Who can know the offense better than Peyton? He'll go around the room and quiz guys about their assignments on particular plays. It happens all the time. He makes sure you're on top of it. He really does raise the expectation level at every position. Same with the coaches. He wants information from the coaches. Before he starts his preparation, he wants breakdowns and statistics. It's not just the players he raises up, it's the coaches, too.

"I always come in on Tuesday [our day off] to do some weight lifting. By the time I leave around lunch time, he's coming in early to get a jump-start with the coaches on the game plan. His day off is really not a day off. He truly honors all six months of the season. He takes a few hours off here and there, but I've never seen him take a full day off.

"Honestly, I can say he's not preparing any different for this game than he would a preseason game. I kid you not. Every game is important. To say he's preparing harder for the Super Bowl would be an insult because that would suggest he wasn't preparting as hard as he could for the other games.

"Some day, if I'm telling my grandchildren about Peyton Manning, I'd probably describe how gifted a person he is as far as his intelligence and his technique and his accuracy. I'd describe those things and add to it his work ethic. He's gifted, but he worked at it."
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...peytons-huddle
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #127
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
I'm with you on this big time. Build the trenches up. Even if that means you're only competitive. Everyone will be aware of the fact that you're simply a QB away from being dominant. That will mean going 6-10 to 8-8 maybe even 9-7 with very close losses even against the dominant/elite teams, perhaps even sprinkling in an upset here or there. If and when you do land a stud or very good QB, you're ready to tango with the best of them.

Look back at the now powerhouse teams that earlier in the 2000s had pretty good defenses along with impressive O-lines. They were competitive. Insert a Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco....instant contenders. Fast forward to recent years, insert Wilson into a very Steelers/Ravensish type situation and look what you have. 49ers and most recently the Chiefs, it seemed, were primed with stacked talent and only a competent coach away from becoming a contender.

You then have times where you nab/acquire a QB that is so good he makes up for areas that are seriously lacking, ala Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck....but this example is more like hitting the lottery so it's best to build the team and especially the trenches that yield better chances of becoming dominant by landing a very good but not great QB to compliment the overall team.
If the Texans came out of this draft with

Rd.1 Clowney
Rd.2 Nix
Rd.3 Bitonio
Rd.4 Brandon Thomas

Then pick RB/DB's after that I will be a happy man. Hopefully BoB learned that you have to fix the trenches 1st and foremost.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014   #128
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 57932 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Do we have to say QB wood? Is there a less uncomfortable term we can use amongst manly men to describe an affinity for a particular player?
I'm waiting on the east coast press to descend even as I type in search of the first out of the closet NFL Gay Icon to go giddy over. As soon as it happens, they'll immediately get enshrined into the HOF without even playing a down and his number will HAVE to be retired or you will be homophobic.

Letting the "Wood" cat out of the bag should be sufficient for the coronation.

I'm now waiting for the Golfing Wood to come out so he can get a little more accolades and everybody can forget the rest of the story of the last six years.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #129
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 57932 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Unfortunately because of league rules, OB will be unable to see what Keenum has with on field time. His assessment will need to be made with film study and classroom time with Keenum. I'm on record with my opinion that, if this predraft assessment is positive, then this is our best case scenario, allowing us to trade down for extra picks, addressing my concern expressed in my post a few moments ago.
Good post since it matches my thoughts. Now prepare for the onslaught.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #130
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he's been scouting the 'Hefty Lefty", who's playing for the Northern Kentucky River Monsters.

Y'all remember Jared Lorenzen

Old 02-04-2014   #131
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe he's been scouting the 'Hefty Lefty", who's playing for the Northern Kentucky River Monsters.

Y'all remember Jared Lorenzen

Do the man some justice. At least post some game film. Or this reel.

God I love the Pillsbury Throwboy
Old 02-04-2014   #132
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the SB, I came away convinced as ever that in the NFL, without an OL capable of protecting the QB, even an elite QB like Manning will be made to look pathetic. Manning was made to look as ugly as Keenum.......even worse, because Manning looked "planted"....like he was just pleading to be watered.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #133
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After watching the SB, I came away convinced as ever that in the NFL, without an OL capable of protecting the QB, even an elite QB like Manning will be made to look pathetic. Manning was made to look as ugly as Keenum.......even worse, because Manning looked "planted"....like he was just pleading to be watered.
They had a compilation on NFLN of hits and hurries that Manning faced on Sunday, and it was brutal. He was getting pressure from all sides throughout the game. It looked like he was even anticipating phantom pressure at times. And with the way the Seahawks were covering receivers, taking away the long stuff and hitting anyone that caught the ball with a force of a locomotive, I am once again convinced in the belief of building trenches and defense as priorities for a championship caliber team.
Old 02-04-2014   #134
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They had a compilation on NFLN of hits and hurries that Manning faced on Sunday, and it was brutal. He was getting pressure from all sides throughout the game. It looked like he was even anticipating phantom pressure at times. And with the way the Seahawks were covering receivers, taking away the long stuff and hitting anyone that caught the ball with a force of a locomotive, I am once again convinced in the belief of building trenches and defense as priorities for a championship caliber team.
Throwing short so often to an aggressive defense was suicide.

Kill the body and the head will die.
Old 02-04-2014   #135
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

In one of the post game interviews, one member of the Seahawks secondary revealed the game plan was to give the Broncos those short crossing routes but to knock the hell out of them when they caught it. I doubt there was much YAC (yards after catch) for the Broncos in that game. The receivers were looking for the hit as soon as they caught the ball (and maybe even before they caught it).

It was a pretty amazing defensive performance, all things considered.
Old 02-04-2014   #136
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You are not incorrect in terms a great defense being key to a championship, but the window in salary cap football is really short. of all the great defenses, starting with the bears, the teams only won once and too often were not real contenders. Its way harder and lasts three or fours years on the long end.
Old 02-04-2014   #137
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You are not incorrect in terms a great defense being key to a championship, but the window in salary cap football is really short. of all the great defenses, starting with the bears, the teams only won once and too often were not real contenders. Its way harder and lasts three or fours years on the long end.
Good post.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #138
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Agreed.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #139
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Cassel's bailing. O'Brien was the OC when Cassel filled in for Brady when he went down. He was also Crennel's QB in KC.

I don't think he's the answer, but could be a decent stop gap until the rook is ready. Clowney at 1, QB in the 2nd

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet キ 40m
#Vikings QB Matt Cassel will void his contract for 2014 and become a free agent, per source. Was to make $3.7M, had until Friday to do it
Old 02-05-2014   #140
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, didn't read 7 pages but

Guys he worked with recently

Christian Hackenberg: Big kid. Big arm. Pocket guy

Tom Brady: Big guy. Big arm. Pocket guy

Sorry, I just think he will lean to Bridgewater or Bortles with a chance to take D and later get a guy like Mettenberger or Logan Thomas.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read