Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O’Brien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

PapaL

Loose Screw
Didn't see this posted. If it was, my bad!

O’Brien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants In Houston; LINK

Should settle the nickname debate:

Coach O’Brien, or OB as many call him and he admits is his favorite nickname

QB Talk:

“This system over the years has had mobile quarterbacks,” O’Brien told In The Loop. “It’s had tall quarterbacks, quarterbacks who were six feet tall, quarterbacks that were six foot five, quarterbacks that have had all different types of skill sets. What you do is you try to look at what’s available to you, what’s already on the team and try to make sure the system fits the skill set of the players.”

“I was able to see Blake Bortles up-close because we played Central Florida at Penn State and they beat us. He was a smart player. An accurate passer. A guy that could do a lot of different things. You could tell he was really a student of the game. He’s a good football player.”
The other two O’Brien hasn’t studied much of, just catching a few games on TV over the past couple years.
“I haven’t watched Teddy Bridgewater much at all. I have seen him on TV. An exciting player. A guy that did a great job for Louisville. A guy I can tell is a good football player.”
“Obviously a very exciting player,” O’Brien said of Johnny Manziel. “A guy thats a playmaker that does a lot of great things on the field.”

I heard him make the same statements before , must have been a day or two after the hiring.

As for what's already on the roster , the position is a train wreck .... the QB position played the biggest part in derailing the teams season.

this the interview from this morning? seemed pretty vanilla. he said a lot of stuff but really didnt say anything at all.
Remember, he's a graduate of the Bill Belichick School of CoachSpeak
:turtle:

so I don't expect any earthshaking revelations from his pressers. I wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.
Not that I blame him. Why tip your hand in the press when you don't have to?
:D

FWIW, I think his nickname is actually "Obie" due to how he spelled it in his Brown University yearbook entry.

I have felt from the beginning that O'Brien will be after Bortles after facing him and knowing his HC so well. I have no idea of what his strategy will be to get him, but that is the QB that I think our coach will want the most.

LOL, no one here has a clue what he's thinking. He won't hint worth a fart sniff what his plan is. He's about to begin his masterpiece.

Buuut, I did hear the podcast and the sayings about someone who studies early and late in the day and is the best person they can be on and off the field screams Teddy to me.

I'm convinced we go with Manziel at #1 if he doesn't throw up all over himself during the draft process. And the state of Texas and the rest of the country will go nuts!

For those, like me, who didn't know much about Mallett here's his Wiki page... Link

and then there's this...
Although Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett refused to address questions from the media about alleged drug use at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis -- after dodging several queries, Mallett abruptly ended his press conference -- he apparently came clean in interviews with NFL teams.
"One G.M. said Mallett was the first quarterback ever to admit his drug usage to him in interviews, and his willingness to be honest about his past and acknowledge issues is viewed as a positive," according to Pro Football Weekly. "Concerns about his history of use could impact his draft position, though."
29213-330-0.jpg

Ryan Mallett reportedly has discussed past drug usage with NFL teams. Some teams view this as a positive.
Auburn's Cam Newton and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert are the only two quarterbacks considered top 10 picks in this year's draft. Mallett is generally considered to be in the next tier, along with Washington's Jake Locker, Florida State's Christian Ponder, TCU's Andy Dalton and Nevada's Colin Kaepernick.
In addition to the drug rumors -- Mallett reportedly never tested positive at Arkansas -- his character was sullied by an arrest for public intoxication. Some NFL teams are concerned about Mallett's reputation as a "big party guy," according to PFW.

Remember, he's a graduate of the Bill Belichick School of CoachSpeak
:turtle:

so I don't expect any earthshaking revelations from his pressers. I wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.
Not that I blame him. Why tip your hand in the press when you don't have to?
:D

If I hear him say just one more time

"everybody wants to know if your defense will be a 3-4 or a 4-3... but now about 70 percent of the games are played in nickel and dime defense because of the way the type of league that it is."

I'm gonna kill somebody

Regardless of the source, that trade makes a lot of sense. Mallet was O'Brien's choice in that draft, and Mallet has now had two years to study the system. That trade would be the best scenario among the currently possible options.

Regardless of the source, that trade makes a lot of sense. Mallet was O'Brien's choice in that draft, and Mallet has now had two years to study the system. That trade would be the best scenario among the currently possible options.

If this really happens Texans are in the drivers seat. Mallet will be a free agent after next season. Why trade for him when you can just wait a year and get him without a trade? NE can get something but with my first comment what can they really get? 3rd rounder if lucky? 4th?

They also have to decide if he is the QB of the future and how long will Brady keep playing.

We have 2-3 QBs available at the top of the draft that Im fairly certain could learn the scheme quickly and bring more to the table than Mallett. Tired of trading for backups.

"everybody wants to know if your defense will be a 3-4 or a 4-3... but now about 70 percent of the games are played in nickel and dime defense because of the way the type of league that it is."

I'm gonna kill somebody

Seems like an overreaction to O'Brien stating was obvious on the field.

I heard him make the same statements before , must have been a day or two after the hiring.

As for what's already on the roster , the position is a train wreck .... the QB position played the biggest part in derailing the teams season.
I actually thought Case Keenum played well enough to win about five of those games. The nailbiters we let get away because a lack of defense and running game for a full 60 minutes. We lost about seven straight games by one score.

I actually thought Case Keenum played well enough to win about five of those games. The nailbiters we let get away because a lack of defense and running game for a full 60 minutes. We lost about seven straight games by one score.

He was part of that equation. His inability to mount any offense in the 4th quarter of most of those games was a key issue in a lot of the losses.

Not to start a Keenum discussion, but one or two fields goals would've made a huge difference in the final evaluation.

If this really happens Texans are in the drivers seat. Mallet will be a free agent after next season. Why trade for him when you can just wait a year and get him without a trade? NE can get something but with my first comment what can they really get? 3rd rounder if lucky? 4th?

They also have to decide if he is the QB of the future and how long will Brady keep playing.

Good point, I wasn't aware he had one more year left.

I'm at work, so I don't have time to look up Mallet's scouting report, but that would be relevant to this discussion.

Is this the guy I hire to be the CEO of my organization???

That's one important question OB said he will be asking himself.

It force's you to be inquisitive in a functionally different manner than just film/measureables.

I'd hire Manning, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Luck...

Is this the guy I hire to be the CEO of my organization???

That's one important question OB said he will be asking himself.

It force's you to be inquisitive in a functionally different manner than just film/measureables.

I'd hire Manning, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Luck...

That logic almost definitely excludes Johnny Football. Not CEO material at all, IMO.
I'd hire him as a bar tender or choose him for my dodge ball team, though. :kitten:

He was part of that equation. His inability to mount any offense in the 4th quarter of most of those games was a key issue in a lot of the losses.

Agreed. That and the D giving up 98 & 99yd drives for TDs. That didn't help the cause either.

Remember This: Tom Brady will be 37 years old. If Bill Belichick wants to trade you Ryan Mallett YOU DON'T WANT HIM. In all likehood, Brady has 1 maybe 2 years left. If Belichick thinks Mallett is a suitable replacement for Brady he's NOT trading him. If Belichick thinks that Mallett is NOT a suitable long term replacement, then Belichick is ready to play "LET'S MAKE A DEAL"!

Remember This: Tom Brady will be 37 years old. If Bill Belichick wants to trade you Ryan Mallett YOU DON'T WANT HIM. In all likehood, Brady has 1 maybe 2 years left. If Belichick thinks Mallett is a suitable replacement for Brady he's NOT trading him. If Belichick thinks that Mallett is NOT a suitable long term replacement, then Belichick is ready to play "LET'S MAKE A DEAL"!

everyone has a price

Remember this: Ryan Mallett is entering the final year of his contract. If Bill Belichick wants to trade Ryan Mallett, he could just be looking at getting something in return for him while he still can. Brady could still be the starter for the Patriots for three more years, so why would Mallett not want to test free agency next year if another team wants him to be their starting QB?

Maybe Bellichick will decide to retire when Brady retires. He is smart enough to realize that Tom Brady is a big reason he is going to the hall of fame 5 years after he retires. Leave the game on top and he would seal up his legacy as one of the greatest coaches ever in the nfl. Stay and risk some losing seasons with a new qb before eventually retiring. I can't picture him in the booth though like some other coaches after retirement.

If they trade Mallett, I could see Belichick drafting a developmental QB like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 3rd rd to be Brady's replacement. The time frame is wrong for Mallett to be the longterm replacement. Mallet is/was insurance against Brady injury and happened to be BPA at the time he was drafted.

I'm thinking of starting up a thread on Garoppolo, I saw him for the 1st time yesterday during the East West game and he really impressed me. I could see him being drafted in the 2nd rd. Cant wait to see how he performs at the Sr. Bowl.

If they trade Mallett, I could see Belichick drafting a developmental QB like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 3rd rd to be Brady's replacement. The time frame is wrong for Mallett to be the longterm replacement. Mallet is/was insurance against Brady injury and happened to be BPA at the time he was drafted.

I'm thinking of starting up a thread on Garoppolo, I saw him for the 1st time yesterday during the East West game and he really impressed me. I could see him being drafted in the 2nd rd. Cant wait to see how he performs at the Sr. Bowl.

He did look good yesterday. I'm anxious to see how he does at the Senior bowl.

Forget about Mallett, there is a reason that Brady is playing Manning and Kaepernick is playing Wilson.

Forget about Mallett, there is a reason that Brady is playing Manning and Kaepernick is playing Wilson.

That's such a crock. You never know until the guy gets in there. By your theory Brady, Kaep, Steve Young, etc never should have played because the guys in front of them were playing.

This scenario seems plausible, but I don't like it.

Re-Tool/Re-Build/whatever... The common factors in successful ones are an effective head coach and choosing the right QB.

If we do choose another 3rd round backup QB that wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick again we better not give that MFer another 7+ years to show us what he can do (or what he can't).

I posted this 4 weeks ago. If we trade a 2nd (basically a first) for Mallet, I'm done.

I can't live with this garbage philosophy of win now with a loser QB that isn't good enough to win now while we pass up on the future again.

I 100% agree. Why the F would they trade him if they saw any long term value in him??? He's tall with a good arm, but it ends there. And why the F would you give up a 2.01 (basically a first) for some guy that is about to immediately require a starting QB contract when this team has holes all over the place???!

The answer is he wants to win now, but this is NOT the guy to do it. This has ruined my day. I moved to this city right after the Rockets won their championships. Since I became a Houston Sports fan we haven't done a damn thing and we've been a dumpster fire for sports since. This is just another chapter in sucking for another 4 years.

We aren't the Browns, but we might as well be. Those fans show up to game 1 w/ a paper bag on their heads in good spirit cause they know what's coming. It's better than this false hope and BS decisions. I know this trade is going down and I know Mallet will suck. WE SUCK AGAIN!

That's such a crock. You never know until the guy gets in there. By your theory Brady, Kaep, Steve Young, etc never should have played because the guys in front of them were playing.

See Post #28. Kraft & Belichick trades Mallett to McNair & O'Brien, friend and student (take advantage of), to the Texans for their 2nd RD, #33 draft pick. With the Texans 33rd pick the Patriots select QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Three years later, Brady retired, the Patriots w/ Garoppolo at QB beat the Texans in regular season who are w/o Ryan Mallett who is out of football for doing his best David Carr/Matt Schaub impersonations. The Patriots go on to the playoffs with another Belichick assistant for McNair to hire and and a backup QB McNair can trade for......while Kraft and Belichick crank the stereo for Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" while singing....second verse same as the first.

Last edited:
I 100% agree. Why the F would they trade him if they saw any long term value in him???

Because he's likely not going to remain with the Patriots long term. Mallett is entering the final year of his contract. Do you honestly think Mallett would turn down a starting job & 50+ Million to remain as Brady's backup when he enters free agency? I don't.

I'm not advocating for trading for Mallett, but I see the benefit for the Patriots trading him if they can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. They can then draft a Mettenberger/Mccarron type with that pick to backup Brady until he retires.

Yeah, he's a $50 million dollar QB now.
laugh-1.gif

I'm just saying Mallett wouldn't turn down a starting job + the money he would get to remain Brady's backup. I was trying to go off Matt Schaub's first contract with Houston (6years, 48 Million) and Matt Flynn's contract with Seattle (3 years, 26 million), but somehow those contracts weren't as large as I imagined. Still both got 8+ million a year before they proved anything in the NFL, and I think Mallett could be the next QB who hasn't proved anything to get that type of contract.

I wonder how long he's gonna milk the "well, we're still evaluating the players.." schtick.

I'm gonna kill somebody

Seems like an overreaction to O'Brien stating was obvious on the field.

I know he's right about that, I wasn't complaining at him, just it's frustrating seing a new interview coming out in the news, open the vid hoping in something actually "new" and hear the same exact speech repeated :D

maybe something about the new DC, is there anything official yet?

Because he's likely not going to remain with the Patriots long term. Mallett is entering the final year of his contract. Do you honestly think Mallett would turn down a starting job & 50+ Million to remain as Brady's backup when he enters free agency? I don't.

I'm not advocating for trading for Mallett, but I see the benefit for the Patriots trading him if they can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. They can then draft a Mettenberger/Mccarron type with that pick to backup Brady until he retires.

Obviously if I'm the Patriots you are damn right I do this deal. I'm saying my view as a disgruntled Texans fan. Hell no! PLEASE don't! Let someone else pay this kid.

I'd rather pay a rookie QB peanuts as opposed to paying a (basically) rookie QB starting QB money. We are up against the cap right now as is, we can't afford all of this. What if next year we have to choose Mallet or Watt? I definitely initially overreacted and I'll always support this sorry team, but man I will be very upset if that was to happen.

I'm just saying Mallett wouldn't turn down a starting job + the money he would get to remain Brady's backup. I was trying to go off Matt Schaub's first contract with Houston (6years, 48 Million) and Matt Flynn's contract with Seattle (3 years, 26 million), but somehow those contracts weren't as large as I imagined. Still both got 8+ million a year before they proved anything in the NFL, and I think Mallett could be the next QB who hasn't proved anything to get that type of contract.

This would be a good comparison if the new wage structure for draft picks had been in place for a while. But now the balance of Late round pick and FA has shifted towards the Draftee.

See Post #28. Kraft & Belichick trades Mallett to McNair & O'Brien, friend and student (take advantage of), to the Texans for their 2nd RD, #33 draft pick. With the Texans 33rd pick the Patriots select QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Three years later, Brady retired, the Patriots w/ Garoppolo at QB beat the Texans in regular season who are w/o Ryan Mallett who is out of football for doing his best David Carr/Matt Schaub impersonations. The Patriots go on to the playoffs with another Belichick assistant for McNair to hire and and a backup QB McNair can trade for......while Kraft and Belichick crank the stereo for Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" while singing....second verse same as the first.

Would anyone have had a problem if we traded back into the 2nd round of 2011 to draft Mallet instead of Brandon Harris (& lTJ Yates in the 5th)?

At least this way he learned under Tom Brady & not Matt Schaub.

I was just thinking about our QB situation on the way back to the office. Don't hate on me too much. I'm not a fan of doing this with our QBs, but here goes...

I've considered how poor the QB FA class is this year as well as how I don't like the top 3-4 QBs in this draft at #1-1. If OB and crew think the same, I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub was retained for another year. Yes, I know, I'm a tard for saying it.

If we were to do this and there's ne trade out of #1, I'd choose Clowney. Draft a QB with 'potential' in the 2nd (Mettenberger, Murry, McCarron, Carr *vomit*, etc.). Schaub (vomit again), Yates and one of the above will be the QBs going into this season.

Be easy, now. lol

I was just thinking about our QB situation on the way back to the office. Don't hate on me too much. I'm not a fan of doing this with our QBs, but here goes...

I've considered how poor the QB FA class is this year as well as how I don't like the top 3-4 QBs in this draft at #1-1. If OB and crew think the same, I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub was retained for another year. Yes, I know, I'm a tard for saying it.

If we were to do this and there's ne trade out of #1, I'd choose Clowney. Draft a QB with 'potential' in the 2nd (Mettenberger, Murry, McCarron, Carr *vomit*, etc.). Schaub (vomit again), Yates and one of the above will be the QBs going into this season.

Be easy, now. lol
How do you fix Schaub? He has been bad for long period of time whether mental or physical. Cannot just hope he shows up in September "better".

Be easy, now. lol

I think (and someone correct me if wrong) that the financial impact would hit us harder if we kept him another year and released him than if we did it this season with the June 1st cuts. So keeping him as a placehold with a stronger cap hit in 2015 (or dead money I should say) compared to releasing him post June 1st in moving forward makes it seem that it just makes more sense football and financial wise to move from Schaub.

Not to mention the city may grab pitch forks and torches to march on McNair, heh.

I think (and someone correct me if wrong) that the financial impact would hit us harder if we kept him another year and released him than if we did it this season with the June 1st cuts. So keeping him as a placehold with a stronger cap hit in 2015 (or dead money I should say) compared to releasing him post June 1st in moving forward makes it seem that it just makes more sense football and financial wise to move from Schaub.

Not to mention the city may grab pitch forks and torches to march on McNair, heh.

Schaub's base salary in 2014 is $10M (possibly an additional $1M from other Bonus if it's a roster bonus). This is the money we save by releasing him THIS YEAR.

Making him a June 1 cut only shifts $7M of dead money from 2014 to 2015, incidentally when we need it most. While it looks like there is a lot of cap room in 2015 already, it won't be there after required additions for the 2014 and 2015 seasons (Draft picks, FAs and Salary adjustments to make the required roster limits).

This is chess, not checkers, in the Front Office. You have to look ahead several moves.

Incidentally, this is why I suggested cutting him and resigning him over renegotiating his contract if we wanted him in 2014. ANY extension of the current contract advances $7M of the dead money into 2015.

Back