Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-14-2014   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Free Agent Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Earl Mitchell could be this year's Ricky Jean-Francois (8.5 M guaranteed, $5.5 M Apy). Every year are a few surprise deals in free agency.

Agree with former #Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik: DT Earl Mitchell is a good value for free agency. Better fit for 4-3?
Whaaaaaaaaat? No way. Not gonna happen.

If Earl Mitchell gets 4 years, 22 million from a team in free agency, I'll eat SWTBound's hat.
Old 02-14-2014   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I wont be surprised when the Texans sign Josh McCown or Chad Henne to a Alex Smith sized contract (3/24/9) which allows them to take Clowney @ 1. followed by either a QB of the future in rounds 2 or 3 or just fill big holes at NT and TE.

Sign Josh McCown

Draft:
1 Jadeveon Clowney
2 Austin Seferian-Jenkins
3 Tajh Boyd
4 Daniel McCullers
5 Seantrel Henderson
6 Bryn Renner
7 Jeremy Gallon
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I wont be surprised when the Texans sign Josh McCown or Chad Henne to a Alex Smith sized contract (3/24/9) which allows them to take Clowney @ 1. followed by either a QB of the future in rounds 2 or 3 or just fill big holes at NT and TE.
What in the world have McCown or Henne done to deserve an Alex Smith sized contract? They are closer to out of the league than starter money even low starter money. McCown played last year for $865k, Henne for $3.4 mil. McCown upped his stock some as a backup. Henne did not improve his with his completely normal for his career 76 QB rating which is almost the same as Schaub's miserable year at 73.
Old 02-14-2014   #24
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What in the world have McCown or Henne done to deserve an Alex Smith sized contract? They are closer to out of the league than starter money even low starter money. McCown played last year for $865k, Henne for $3.4 mil. McCown upped his stock some as a backup. Henne did not improve his with his completely normal for his career 76 QB rating which is almost the same as Schaub's miserable year at 73.
I think they are the cream of the crop in this years free agent QB class. 9 million guaranteed for a vet QB for 2 years isnt a bad deal for a team looking to develop a QB. They can both still play and start in this league IMO. And supply and demand commands the price.
Old 02-14-2014   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they are the cream of the crop in this years free agent QB class. 9 million guaranteed for a vet QB for 2 years isnt a bad deal for a team looking to develop a QB. They can both still play and start in this league IMO. And supply and demand commands the price.
So it is the concept of not drafting a QB high you are bolstering.

I don't know about you but if I go to the grocery store and all they have is mealy soft tomatoes at the same price as normal I walk on by rather than figuring "well they're the cream of the crop right now." This is a crap FA class. Even if I bought into the placeholder QB theory I wouldn't be offering full price for the mealy tomatoes.
Old 02-14-2014   #26
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
So it is the concept of not drafting a QB high you are bolstering.

I don't know about you but if I go to the grocery store and all they have is mealy soft tomatoes at the same price as normal I walk on by rather than figuring "well they're the cream of the crop right now." This is a crap FA class. Even if I bought into the placeholder QB theory I wouldn't be offering full price for the mealy tomatoes.
I am not bolstering anything. I am merely suggesting it is a possibility that would not surprise me.

You would buy the tomatoes if they were the only tomatoes left in the country, and you needed tomatoes to fix your famous dish for an extremely important guest.
Old 02-14-2014   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I am not bolstering anything. I am merely suggesting it is a possibility that would not surprise me.

You would buy the tomatoes if they were the only tomatoes left in the country, and you needed tomatoes to fix your famous dish for an extremely important guest.
Nope because I would know the dish wouldn't come out right.
Old 02-14-2014   #28
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Nope because I would know the dish wouldn't come out right.
Old 02-17-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
**Offseason dates**

Feb. 17: First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition Players.

Feb. 19-25: Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis
And it begins...

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Quote:
And ... b) Where clubs have continued tagging is at positions where tag is cheap (ex: DT, TE, S). Cheap tag = less need for long-term deal.

So ... a) With the cap having been relatively flat lately, clubs are more reluctant to use the tag and dump big figures in to a single year.

One trend to keep an eye on ... In 2011, 10 of 14 tagged players got multi-year deals. In '12, 12 of 21 got deals. Last year? Just 1 of 8.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-17-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #30
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

What do yall think of Alex Carrington's fit in a Romeo Crennel system?

Not a HUGE space eater, but 6'5 - 301, can likely put on more weight if needed. He is plenty big enough IMO. He's a solid fit as a DT in a 3-4 and I like what he brings. Bills obviously can't afford him with the deal in place for Mario and they just dished out a contract to Branch. I think he can be a solid fit here. What say yall?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...ee-agent-class
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #31
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have interest in Paul Soliai?

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/02/14/is-paul-soliai-on-the-texans-wish-list
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Texans have interest in Paul Soliai?

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog...xans-wish-list
Don't know if it's true or not, but ~340 lbs NT is the size Crennel seems to prefer.
Old 02-17-2014   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

**Offseason dates**

Feb. 17: First day for clubs to designate franchise (tag) or transition Players.

May 2: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Quote:
... And here are the franchise tag projections (again, based on $126.3M cap):

QB $16.06M,
RB $9.06M,
WR $11.52M,
TE $6.70M,
OL $11.07M.

DT $9.2M,
DE $12.45M,
LB $10.88M,
CB $11.24M,
S $8.0M,
K/P $3.38M
Old 02-17-2014   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Cool info-graphic at the end of this...

Ranking the 2014 Free Agents: Edge Rushers
Old 02-17-2014   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
What do yall think of Alex Carrington's fit in a Romeo Crennel system?

Not a HUGE space eater, but 6'5 - 301, can likely put on more weight if needed. He is plenty big enough IMO. He's a solid fit as a DT in a 3-4 and I like what he brings. Bills obviously can't afford him with the deal in place for Mario and they just dished out a contract to Branch. I think he can be a solid fit here. What say yall?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...ee-agent-class
I like Carrington as a cheap replacement for Antonio.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Carrington as a DE in Romeo's defense.

I'm a big fan of Soliai at NT.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Cool info-graphic at the end of this...

Ranking the 2014 Free Agents: Edge Rushers
Ranking the 2014 Free Agents: Defensive Interior
Old 02-22-2014   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
2 free agent names generating better-than-expected interest: Rams OL Rodger Saffold, being looked at as a guard, & #Texans NT Earl Mitchell
Old 02-25-2014   #39
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

If Seattle releases Red Bryant as is being rumored, I'd sure like to take a look at getting him for the NT position.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
So who is interested in Earl MItchell?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read