Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-19-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Head Coach Firings and Hirings

Chris Mortensen on Mike & Mike questioned about NFL Head Coaching changes he expects...

Jets -- No
Titans -- No
Raiders -- leaning Yes
Texans -- done

Dallas -- No
Giants -- No, but Coughlin may step down
Redskins -- Yes
Lions -- Yes
Vikings -- Yes
Buccaneers -- No
Falcons -- No

A bit surprising to me on low number. We'll see...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mort on expected HC changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Chris Mortensen on Mike & Mike questioned about NFL Head Coaching changes he expects...

Jets -- No
Titans -- No
Raiders -- No
Texans -- Yes (obviously)

Dallas -- No
Giants -- No
Redskins -- Yes
Lions -- Yes
Vikings -- No
Buccaneers -- Yes
Falcons -- No

A bit surprising to me on low number. We'll see...
My take
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans will be getting a new head coach IMO.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Schwartz a pretty good DC?

Old 12-20-2013   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

Yes. He's just too emotional to keep his cool when he needs to make the tough decisions a HC needs to make.
Old 12-20-2013   #6
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68517 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

He was decent, I'd hesitate to call him good.

I also strongly believe Munchak is toast, and that Jones may blow his top and throw out Garrett if they miss the playoffs. That GB game just had a brutal stench to it that Garrett may not be able to escape.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #7
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 12840 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Schwartz & Garret - I think either could save their job with a single playoff win. Its been so long since either franchise had one, that I think it would erase any ill will these last couple of weeks have built up. But I dont expect either team to actually win a playoff game...or even make it to one. But its still out there!

Frazier - should be fired. Terrible record. Probably will be.

Allen - I'd give another year. Expect they will.

Munchak - would probably give another year. Their record and talent level dont seem that far apart. Will probably be fired.

Ryan - probably fired. Once again I wouldn't. Geno Smith and Buttfumble are a joke at the most critical position. I guess his dumb decision to play Buttfumble in a meaningless playoff 4th quarter MAY have cost them a playoff spot.

Shanahan - gone

Smith - stays

Coughlin - stays or retires

Schiano - stays. Glennon has bought him a year.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2013   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Jets -- No (Agree)
Titans -- No (Disagree, supposedly no playoffs means no job for Munch)
Raiders -- leaning Yes (Disagree, given a terrible situation and they still have $50m in dead money, they will give him another year)
Texans -- done

Dallas -- No (Agree but they should fire Garrett on down)
Giants -- No, but Coughlin may step down (Agree)
Redskins -- Yes (Disagree. Shanahan may not be well liked by the fans but he's not really been on the job long and they have been to the playoffs once already)
Lions -- Yes (Agree unless they go to the playoffs)
Vikings -- Yes (Disagree but I think they should)
Buccaneers -- No (Agree, although Schiano is terrible)
Falcons -- No (Agree, too much good will Smith built up)
Old 12-21-2013   #9
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Schwartz & Garret - I think either could save their job with a single playoff win. Its been so long since either franchise had one, that I think it would erase any ill will these last couple of weeks have built up. But I dont expect either team to actually win a playoff game...or even make it to one. But its still out there!

Frazier - should be fired. Terrible record. Probably will be.

It wasn't too long ago when people were talking about how good Frazier was as a DC. He did field some solid defenses for the Vikings and I'd love to see him come over to us as a DC.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Gone
Ryan-Jets (Possible Cowher landing spot)
Munchak-Titans (Look for young coordinator)
Dennis Allen-Raiders (Everyone in the organization might be looking for work)
Garrett-Cowboys (Can't fire the GM)
Shanahan-Skins (Can't believe he hasn't been fired yet)
Frazier-Vikings (Maybe deserves another year)
Schwartz-Lions (Ownership will eat the 2 years remaining)
Coughlin-Giants (Will quietly step down after the season, another spot for Cowher)

Add in the open Texans position, and that's 9 vacancies. The Skins, Jets, Giants, and Cowboys are high profile jobs, so McNair needs to move in on his desired coach and close the deal.
Old 12-22-2013   #11
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68517 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mort on expected HC change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Gone
Ryan-Jets (Possible Cowher landing spot)
Munchak-Titans (Look for young coordinator)
Dennis Allen-Raiders (Everyone in the organization might be looking for work)
Garrett-Cowboys (Can't fire the GM)
Shanahan-Skins (Can't believe he hasn't been fired yet)
Frazier-Vikings (Maybe deserves another year)
Schwartz-Lions (Ownership will eat the 2 years remaining)
Coughlin-Giants (Will quietly step down after the season, another spot for Cowher)

Add in the open Texans position, and that's 9 vacancies. The Skins, Jets, Giants, and Cowboys are high profile jobs, so McNair needs to move in on his desired coach and close the deal.
I just don't think Cowher comes back. Dude seems to be at peace and I think getting that ring was what he needed to quit and stay put. I do think Gruden may try, can still see the crazy passion he has every Monday night.

Old 12-22-2013   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I just don't think Cowher comes back. Dude seems to be at peace and I think getting that ring was what he needed to quit and stay put. I do think Gruden may try, can still see the crazy passion he has every Monday night.
I think that passion you're talking about combined with the lingering idea (which I don't share) that he "just took Tony Dungee's team to the title" has slowly built up in him a desire to return. He hears that talk and over time it's got to get old. He'll wait until he sees what he thinks is the best fit for him but eventually he'll come back. That's what I think.

Of course I would have said Cowher was going to come back someday too but then he spent enough time on TV to get comfortable there. I think that's what happens to a lot of coaches who go to the networks with the idea to see how that goes. I think they start out thinking they'll probably "get back to work" in a few years but then get comfortable and every year they stay comfortable makes it harder to walk away. Before long they're no longer coaches. They're broadcasters.

8 years ago if the Texans had been able to talk Cowher out of the booth we'd have gotten a coach. Today I think he's firmly a broadcaster.
Old 12-22-2013   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

I didn't think Dallas would be losing to Washington today. Garrett has to be gone if the Redskins hold on.
Old 12-22-2013   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't think Cowher comes back.
I think he's looking for the right owner. I thought McNair might be that guy. I'm thinking now, he's not. The Giants and the Jets may have the type of ownership Cowher is desiring. Gruden? He's not getting the interest I think he believes he deserves. I think he's gotten a bad reputation among NFL owners. I would give him a chance, but I'm not an NFL owner.
Old 12-24-2013   #15
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think he's looking for the right owner. I thought McNair might be that guy. I'm thinking now, he's not. The Giants and the Jets may have the type of ownership Cowher is desiring. Gruden? He's not getting the interest I think he believes he deserves. I think he's gotten a bad reputation among NFL owners. I would give him a chance, but I'm not an NFL owner.
You think he hasn't seen the messes Woody Johnson has helped create and foster????

And the ONLY job I could ever see Cowher take is Dallas. To me, whether many of us like it or not, that's one of the holy grail jobs of coaching. If he could sit down Jones and tell him, I'll take it, but only if you stay the **** out of my way, and Jones agreed, and agreed contractually? Done.

Otherwise, he'll take his easy 7 figure salary for being a talking head once a week and change and continue to enjoy the good life.

Old 12-24-2013   #16
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You think he hasn't seen the messes Woody Johnson has helped create and foster????

And the ONLY job I could ever see Cowher take is Dallas. To me, whether many of us like it or not, that's one of the holy grail jobs of coaching. If he could sit down Jones and tell him, I'll take it, but only if you stay the **** out of my way, and Jones agreed, and agreed contractually? Done.
I don't think that will happen in the foreseeable future

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #17
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing more than mere speculation on my part, but I get the feeling Mike Tomlin is very much in play of being fired.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish the Jets would fire Ryan. He would leap to the top of my list in an instant.
Old 12-26-2013   #19
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rumor has been out there for a long time that he wants the Giants job. Maybe he is waiting for Coughlin to be fired. However I tend to agree with Herv that at this point he is probably more of a broadcaster than a coach.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cowher is going to be a Goldilocks coach (i.e. too hot, too cold, gotta' be just right), I'm not sure if he's even got the drive and passion anymore.

My perspective is that the ego's of head coaches make them believe that they can turn any team around. And I have no doubt that many offers have been made to Cowher since his retirement. So if he's going to pass up all offers waiting for the perfect situation (which doesn't exist, btw), I think I'd take a pass and find a young and hungry coach.

I say all that, but with the caveat that I would immediately change my mind if Cowher came here!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read