Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you s still believe Case Keenum can be a SUCCESSFUL NFL QB?
Yes 36 26.47%
No 65 47.79%
Not Sure 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2014   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum?

I think the question comes down to if you think Keenum is capable of being taught to read defenses and make the crucial short to mid passes with accuracy in tight spaces. These are the primary knocks against him, so it really comes down to the simple premise of can he learn this stuff or not?

The kid obviously has physical talent. He can scramble and has an arm. So it is a cerebral question, and to me, it was obvious that Kubiak spent very little time with the kid to develop this stuff.

And just my speculation, but I think he was the pawn in the middle of a power struggle between the stubborn head coach and the GM/owner. If this is true to any degree, and that the FO was making Kubiak start him, what kind of attention to detail and preparation was he truly getting?

I'm not saying Kubiak undermined it, but to me, the HC was obviously to the point of burn out this season and lost his security blanket when Schaub's wheels completely fell off. What makes it curious, and perhaps gives the scenario some legs, is that Yates - i.e. no. 2 QB on the roster - was immediately bypassed to start Keenum. Yates threw a pick 6 when Schaub went down, but that in and of itself was not a reason to bench a QB based on precedent set with Schaub.

I think something else was behind Keenum starting, even to the point of it being mentioned at the press conference when they fired Kubiak. It was all very surreal and strange. Add to this that I do not think the FO is very happy with Kubiak right now. They took some shots at him a couple of times during press conferences, and it was obviously directed toward Kubiak. I do not recall anything like that when they let Capers go. Something put a burr under McNair's saddle to go there.

So my answer was "I don't know". I do agree with Spencer Tillman that Keenum will be in training camp, and the reason is simple: Case is cheap right now and doesn't cost the Texans much. You bring a lot of players into training camp, so I have little doubt that he's there as an arm. Maybe he can spark something for O'Brien to give him a shot. Who knows...
Old 01-07-2014   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
obrien is gonna run spread offense right?
Probably not.

He might be innovative and he might try a few things. He might even use the pistol and some read-option stuff if he has the right QB.

But he's not going to just go to a college-type spread offense. Remember, he was an OC at New England and he's the guy that got Gronk and Hernandez going.

If Case can fit in, great. If not, c'est la vie.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #23
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
obrien is gonna run spread offense right?
Like the defence philosophy, BO'B will run his team depending on who will play, his overall strategy will be very adaptive and will pull ideas and plays from many styles of offence
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum?il

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Questionable pocket presense (happy feet), questionable short/medium accuracy.

Put NO.

Pity, would of been a nice underdog story and I did appreciate his long ball.
Fist off, for those who don't know, Kiwi and I were against Gabbert pre-draft.
It's not like we don't know each other.
We saw eye to eye why Gabbert WAS not a good prospect.

Maybe I will just bring up each and every passes so that Kiwi and Corrosion and all can tell me where they saw the fail in Keenum , not just with the team.

My work is slowing down a bit; but it can pick up anytime unlike years past.

If I ever get to it ; I will hope to create more than a doubt.
(Obviously, it will depend on the new coaching staff/)
It could just be my exercise for the off-season/

Live and learn.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #25
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
No.

Can we just admit that the dwindling lovefest would not exist if he was an UDFA from UCONN or Boston College that lost all of his starts?
No. Because it's not true. Presumptive questions are inadmissible in court and common on message boards like this one. Now not liking Yankees is a whole other question. I'm having to deal with that because of our new coach. Being a Yankee doesn't guarantee they're an arrogant snob, but it sure increases the chances.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #26
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Fist off, for those who don't know, Kiwi and I were against Gabbert pre-draft.
It's not like we don't know each other.
We saw eye to eye why Gabbert WAS not a good prospect.

Maybe I will just bring up each and every passes so that Kiwi and Corrosion and all can tell me where they saw the fail in Keenum , not just with the team.

My work is slowing down a bit; but it can pick up anytime unlike years past.

If I ever get to it ; I will hope to create more than a doubt.
(Obviously, it will depend on the new coaching staff/)
It could just be my exercise for the off-season/

Live and learn.
The reason I list happy feet is the way he ran away from pressure and took big sacks. Not the same as Gabbert's issues necessarily but a real bug bear for me.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #27
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 1001 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The reason I list happy feet is the way he ran away from pressure and took big sacks. Not the same as Gabbert's issues necessarily but a real bug bear for me.
The OLine sucked even before Keenum become a starter. Schaub was one of the most pressured QBs in the league when he was a starter. No QB would have looked good behind this OL.

How could a QB not develop happy feet when he is under constant pressure?

The Texans were tanking were Keenum become the starter. No hot reads for him when he was blitzed.
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2014   #28
tvaughan
Rookie

Rep Power: 3384 tvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any of our QBs are as bad as they played this year. I think they will all play better in different environments when they get their next shot. There was something seriously wrong with this offense on a lot of levels.
tvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think that 200 yards on less than 20 sacks shows that Keenum needs to learn when to hold'em & when to fold him. The game needs to slow down for him. & he needs more time in the saddle.

But I don't think he is any more likely to be successful than Tj.

Maybe O'Brien doesn't bring in a vet. Maybe we start the season with Bridgewater/Bortles, Yates, & Keenum competing for the starting job. That wouldn't be so bad, would it? I doubt we win more than 6 games against the weakest schedule we've had in a while.... maye our weakest.

But whatever.
Old 01-07-2014   #30
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe keenum can lead this team to the promises land if he starts wearing ascots, Windsor knot and bow ties, calf skinnes Capri pants and jimmy choo shoes.

No I don't think keenum should be our starter because he was never able read blitzes and I have no reason to believe that'll change.
Old 01-07-2014   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Anybody still BELIEVE in Case Keenum?ilhen he was in college/

Quote:
I agree.
It wasn't any different from Lucky saying the same thing when he was in college.
He couldn't trust the O-line enough.

Now there was a guy that the Pats took a few years ago; it wasn't in the equation.

What you and I knew was thAt either Gabbert had good protection or his receivers bailed him out.

Obviously, he did well for a college QB.
It was never hating, just a fair evaluation to the next level.

To be absolutely honest, I would have never given Keemum a chance except for the amount of pressure he faced in college.

People think I went for the numbers
I never did.
Old 01-07-2014   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

So far Keenum has yet to demonstrate the smart that I think he needs to.
Old 01-07-2014   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw plenty of positives to be excited about. Clearly, though, he failed to take advantage of his opportunity in a way that would rally the team, coaching staff, and organization around him as the team's future. It was a very difficult situation. However, difficult situations are the ones containing unique opportunities. Nobody can say with certainty whether he could succeed as a starting NFL QB or not. His resume, after last year's opportunity, continues to indicate that it is unlikely and it would be unwise to build a team around that assumption.

I'm glad he's on the roster... Who knows what the future holds.
Old 01-07-2014   #34
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
No

Odds are he'll be cut this offseason anyway.
Hey Bro, I disagree with you. I think he has a career as, well, maybe a career as a backup (and I hate to say this, given these troubled times) ala Gary Kubiak behind Elway at Denver.
Old 01-07-2014   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As others have said before, despite his feet being pretty happy, he usually had poor support........by the OL.....and the hot read receiver routes (virtually nonexistent)........and the play calling (including his inability to audible). Whether he gets his fair chance going through a full OTA and preseason to truly compete with any incoming QBs is another matter. If he get an honest chance with good coaching, I still believe that he can possibly make others believe.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Can he? Sure. Here? Depends entirely upon BO'B. We shall see. Keenum was always going to be a developmental QB. It just boils down to someone developing him. I don't have to stretch my imagination much to envision him being as successful as Alex Smith, for example.
Old 01-07-2014   #37
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, something about him isnt quite their. Reminds me of Colt McCoy 2.0. Good college QB but career backup.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #38
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does anybody still think he can be a successful NFL qb? Or did his play and inability to win a game for a 2-14 team enough evidence to know that that he is no good? Or do you think he still has a chance to be successful with a proper head coach and a proper team?

My personal opinion is that Keenum was placed in a bad situation with a lame duck coach, with a flawed offensive philosophy, and a bad team saddled with injuries on both sides of the ball.

I want to see what he can do with a full off season and a new coaching staff.
I voted no.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #39
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hey Bro, I disagree with you. I think he has a career as, well, maybe a career as a backup (and I hate to say this, given these troubled times) ala Gary Kubiak behind Elway at Denver.
Possibly, but it'd be hard for a coach to get behind him given what's on film. What he learned (or was supposed to learn) in the meeting rooms never translated to the field. It's like the more he learned the worse he got as the season progressed. Maybe it was too much for him to gather? Dunno, but I wouldn't be willing to hand over the offense to a QB the doesn't read defenses. Starter goes down week 1 and he'll be the one we're stuck with? I'll respectfully pass
Old 01-08-2014   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe in Case Keenum, not saying he'll ever be a great starter but I think he's adequate/good for a backup. Evaluating Keenum under the circumstances of last season is truly unfair. He became the starter under terrible conditions with very little/no prep time, an antiquated offensive system that the league figured out years ago, a head coach that was to stubborn or blind to change his system, a team that had quit on the coach, an O-line that was terrible, and a running game that was almost non-existent due to injury. No QB in the league would succeed under those circumstances. Hell even AJ was dropping balls that hit him in the hands.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read