Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2014   #41
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 945 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Depends on what we do in the draft and how we fill potential holes that this team will develop.

If Antonio Smith is gone like many believe, we need to find his replacement, whether we go 4-3 or not. Crick, McClain and Jaimson are not likely to be the guys playing 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT based on what I've seen of them this season and last, although McClain has potential. Jonathan Jospeh if gone, leaves only one good CB on the roster. Wade Smith is gone but who do we really replaceme him with, Ben Jones (who wasn't exactly great at LG this season when he came in on some plays) or Quessenberry who is basically a rookie.

KC managed to keep a lot of its talent defensively around, depending on how the defense changes under its new DC they may not be the strength everyone is thinking they could be.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #42
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

I have thought Kubiak's coaching held this team back most years. The Texans also had some close losses last year that small improvements may have turned into wins. Therefore, I think O'brien has a great opportunity to effect a big turnaround.

I don't know much about him as a coach, but I expect him to rise to the challenge. Mark me down as expecting a large increase in wins.
Old 01-05-2014   #43
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agency hasn't begun. The draft is months away. But we know what the 2014 record will be.

OK.
Old 01-05-2014   #44
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Free agency hasn't begun. The draft is months away. But we know what the 2014 record will be.

OK.
I'm taking a macro view of the situation
Old 01-05-2014   #45
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll reserve my predictions and judgement until we are through with the draft and free agency. This team and organization might not be in a "win-now" mode. Maybe Rick and BOB can convince McNair that they need a mediocre/down season to cleanse the roster before making those big strides. It will all come down to how they approach the current roster (trades/cuts/letting players walk) and what they do to address those needs.

We have a long offseason ahead of us, no need to jump to conclusions in January.
Old 01-05-2014   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

As I said prior to the coaching hire, I expect us to go at best 6-10 next year. I think it's entirely possible for us to do even worse than 2-14 although I'd be surprised.

But.

For me and the way I look at life and living, I'm going to throw my objective pessimism to the side now that we have a head coach. I'm a Sunshiner by nature. I'll try to look at every move we make this off-season and I'll try to put a positive spin on it. I'll go into next year hoping that all those moves we've made were the right ones and that we're going to have a KC like turn-around.

But I've been a Houston football fan since the late 60's. Deep in my heart of hearts, I'm seeing a lot of negatives:

1. Why not clean house entirely and hire another GM?
2. Why hire a coach from the Belichick tree of failure?
3. What has O'Brien done as a coach... tell Tom Brady what to do and keep a college team from totally imploding?
4. We have no QB and the odds of us drafting a superstar franchise QB are pretty slim.
5. How much revamping does our O-Line need?
6. How much revamping does our front 7 on defense need?
7. Can we do 5 and 6 in one offseason?
8. How much longer can Arian and Andre perform at an all-pro level and are they already done?
9. Do we need to totally re-tool our secondary?
10. After so many years of drafting TEs, do we need to draft some more TEs?
11. If we get Crennel, should we be worried about his scheme and should we be worried that he's only had a top 10 defense when he was at New England?

Do I believe we can have a KC type of turnaround? Screw that. I want a better turn around than that. I don't want to show up to the playoffs and then lose. I want to at least get to the AFC Championship.

I like Bill O'Brien's demeanor and I think what he did at Penn State was pretty impressive. I think that he at least had a hand in engineering some cool innovations (Gronk/Hernandez, uptempo, quick-strike, etc.) when he was with New England (even if he DID have Brady to pull the trigger and make it work.)

I think we do have enough talent that some good coaches should be able to patch SOMETHING together that at least gets us to the playoffs. And I'm going to hope that these are some good coaches.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #47
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

considering how bad the AFC south is and the AFC in general isn't that good. plus the possibility of a pretty weak schedule i don't see any issues with us at least going 8-8, ideally at best we are looking at a 9-7 10-6 record. but like another poster said i will wait for FA and the draft to make a concrete prediction
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2014   #48
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 535 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, people still believe. I believe and I'm not the only one and I'll keep believing until I'm proven wrong.

You say he fired the entire coaching staff without enough evaluation. Are you kidding me?

Allow me to break it down. Our OC and DC were about yards between the 20s. We were horrible in the red zone on both sides and this past year just made it more glaring. Our turnover differential was one of the worse if not the worst in the league. None of the coaches got the most out of their players.

Kubiak and Dennison are supposed to be great offensive minds, but the best they could come up with was Schaub and every time they had a chance to bring in real competition they didn't because they were loyal to a fault. So the drop off from him to his back-ups should not have been surprising. Any coaching staff that kept trotting out Newton as a lineman after his performance deserves to be fired.

I saw someone vouch for Vance Joseph and I don't hate to say it, but our secondary blew. No matter how much pressure we put on the opposing QB they were always able to find the open receiver in key situations. There was no discipline. Our penalties on both sides, but especially on defense, cost us games.

The only gain from further evaluation of our previous coaching staff would've netted was seeing just how bad they were.

We need 2 QBs a FA QB for depth and a stud from the draft. We need a NT and back up. Those are the only real critical additions we need. Please keep in mind not every position needs to be a stud.

According to the rumors floating around we are targeting Romeo Crennel for our DC position. This would keep our scheme on D and would only be a change in philosophy. We had the number 1 defense in the league last year yard wise. I doubt a change of philosophy would hurt us.

Bo'B is an offensive mind so I trust him to do what's needed on offense. Why do I trust him? Because he's already shown to be decisive in releasing the people responsible for our past failures. He's pointed the Texans to a competent DC. I don't give a flying f_ck if it's through the good ole boy network it's a credible professional who I would have wanted targeted regardless of if they knew each other or not. Because when he says he'll hold people accountable... I believe him, and that belief is not unfounded.

Obviously it's not important if I believe, but it is important that the players believe and from what I've gathered of his history his players have believed him. Our guys want to believe they want to win I can't speak for all, really any, of the players, but that's the vibe I get.

So there you go. I'm a believer. I believe, expect, and foretell with conviction that we will have a turnaround. Will we make the play-offs? Dunno. Will we have double digit wins? Dunno. Can we expect both? You bet your ass we can!
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #49
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 3178 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think bob will be an outstanding coach but may be an adequate one. I hope he doesn't follow a pattern; McNair picked 2 bad coaches before him. There are bad memories of the Oilers, whose owner never could select a decent coach but insisted on making that decision himself.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I don't think bob will be an outstanding coach but may be an adequate one. I hope he doesn't follow a pattern; McNair picked 2 bad coaches before him. There are bad memories of the Oilers, whose owner never could select a decent coach but insisted on making that decision himself.
Bob who?
Old 01-05-2014   #51
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we win the division
Old 01-05-2014   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
We hired a "slightly" above average PSU coach with no NFL head coaching
experience who fired the entire staff without any serious evaluation
at all. (unless he can warp time and evaluate everyone in less than
a week)
He does have HC experience. He has an impressive two years in college in a very difficult situation and several years experience as an OC in the NFL where he coached a guy who won two MVP awards at QB. He has been a part of several playoff runs and experienced plenty in the NFL. And what on earth are you upset at him for because of the previous coaches being fired? That's what happens when a new regime comes in. They bring in their own guys. Its standard procedure.

Quote:
KC hired a superbowl coach with multiple NFC championship appearances.
(who already had relationships with NFL calibre assistants)
Where are you getting this idea that O'Brien doesn't have relationships with NFL calibre assistants? Why? He coached on the NE Patriots for several years and has ties all over the NFL. That is fact. He only went down to coach college for two years because he got a very unique opportunity that he couldn't pass up.

Quote:
There are reports that some of our assistants may come from the
college ranks.
Which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Does it always work out when they come from the NFL the season prior to coming to a new team? No, it doesn't. This is not a concern at all.

Quote:
No transformation of the type you assume will happen are forthcoming.
I am not assuming anything. It is "you" that continues to assume that this team can't make a quick turn around or have success at all for that matter with this HC and his assistants. I'm optimistic with what we still have and what can be done potentially if a few good things go our way. But I have not made any claims about the Texans being title contenders just yet.

Quote:
By the way, KC was loaded with talent everywhere. Their remaining
weak spot was at QB (smith). We assume that by drafting a QB
we turn everything around?

If so, we are doing it exactly the opposite of how KC did it..

Please. No one was piping off about KC going into the season. KC was not some team that people were red hot for going into the season because of Reid. A lot of people had gotten down on Reid because of his last two seasons in Philly. I figured Reid and the Chiefs would probably have some success eventually, but not this season right away. They did though, and it happens literally every season with some team busting loose and surprising people or new HC's turning a struggling franchise around.

The Eagles brought in a college coach this season and made the playoffs right away and almost won just like the Chiefs in the Wild Card game. Kelley just did exactly what you are saying is so difficult for O'brien to do.

The Colts last season got a new regime and then right before the season had an illness that caused a different HC to take over with a rookie QB and that team was turned around in one off season, and guess what? They're in the playoffs again this year going in to the 2nd round.

There are a ton of examples that dispel this theory that a new HC with a new philosophy can't turn a team around very quickly.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #53
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect us to have a winning record next year but that is just being hopeful with the pieces we have new coach/1st round draft picks.

Too early to tell but I would still say the future is bright.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #54
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

No we won't have a KC type turn around next year. You know why?

Because we won't lose in the WC round! We will win the super bowl next year baby!!!!!!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I feel better about the leaders on our team than I did about the KC Chiefs.

My only concern... the only reason I think we may not win, is if Arian's back is a bigger problem than I think it should be. He was looking good just before he wasn't. & that was running behind Newton/Harris. We can win a lot of games with a healthy Arian Foster.

For whatever reason, guys who shouldn't make plays all the time for the other team & that's why they win. We've got a lot of players who should, but don't make plays that would help us win games.
Old 01-06-2014   #56
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

We were supposed to beast this year, but we sucked bad

We are supposed to suck next year, but we will beast.
Old 01-06-2014   #57
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Making my BOLD prediction for next season

Texans go 14-2 Lock the #1 seed in the AFC.
Old 01-06-2014   #58
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

By turn around do you mean have an awesome regular season only to follow it up with an epic crash and burn in the play-offs?

If that's what you mean, then it's quite possible. It is a Houston pro sports team after all.

Sorry, but my Kool-Aid iv ran dry quite some time ago.
Old 01-06-2014   #59
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The division is weak,the divisions they play are mediocre at best. They're not far from the playoffs to me. Harbaugh brought college guys with him as did pete carroll. The league is setup for 7-9,8-8,9-7. There isn't a lot of gap from a 7-9 and a 10 win team. The eagles won what 4 games last year and won 10 this year. Its not that hard especially with some tinkering and even with a rookie qb possibly.
Old 01-06-2014   #60
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Of course it's way too early to make any kind of predictions (which aren't right anyways). The schedule is primed for a return to competing for a playoff spot though. Honestly - I really don't care about 2014. I care about the next 10+ years. I don't want a "KC" type turnaround. I want an Indy/New England type turnaround. I want to be in the playoffs every year with a few Superbowls sprinkled on top. If it takes a year or 2 to get the players needed to start that run, I'm cool with that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read