Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2014   #21
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Yeah it can be done. Just gotta hit in the draft and maximize the current talent on roster
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
We hired a "slightly" above average PSU coach with no NFL head coaching
experience who fired the entire staff without any serious evaluation
at all. (unless he can warp time and evaluate everyone in less than
a week)

KC hired a superbowl coach with multiple NFC championship appearances.
(who already had relationships with NFL calibre assistants)

There are reports that some of our assistants may come from the
college ranks.

No transformation of the type you assume will happen are forthcoming.

By the way, KC was loaded with talent everywhere. Their remaining
weak spot was at QB (smith). We assume that by drafting a QB
we turn everything around?

If so, we are doing it exactly the opposite of how KC did it..
All of KC's talent meant nothing until they produced. We've got players on this team who have produced and then stopped producing. Until I see them continue ti fail to produce in a different system I'm not going to assume that we have no talent.

Most NFL assistants spent time in the college ranks. I'm not worried about where our assistants come from, just what they do. If he brings Crennel in as DC that's a quality hire. If he brings a guy from Penn State in who he taught the Patriots offensive system and saw that guy get it then I have no problem with that hire.

In other words I'm not going to start complaining about his assistants until they give me something to complain about.
Old 01-05-2014   #23
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
All of KC's talent meant nothing until they produced. We've got players on this team who have produced and then stopped producing. Until I see them continue ti fail to produce in a different system I'm not going to assume that we have no talent.

Most NFL assistants spent time in the college ranks. I'm not worried about where our assistants come from, just what they do. If he brings Crennel in as DC that's a quality hire. If he brings a guy from Penn State in who he taught the Patriots offensive system and saw that guy get it then I have no problem with that hire.

In other words I'm not going to start complaining about his assistants until they give me something to complain about.

Agree. Also, O'Brien strikes me as someone who would not hesitate to fire an assistant mid-season if things got rough. With Kubiak, we were stuck with bad assistants for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #24
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
We hired a "slightly" above average PSU coach with no NFL head coaching

experience who fired the entire staff without any serious evaluation

at all. (unless he can warp time and evaluate everyone in less than

a week)

KC hired a superbowl coach with multiple NFC championship appearances.

(who already had relationships with NFL calibre assistants)

There are reports that some of our assistants may come from the

college ranks.

No transformation of the type you assume will happen are forthcoming.

By the way, KC was loaded with talent everywhere. Their remaining

weak spot was at QB (smith). We assume that by drafting a QB

we turn everything around?

If so, we are doing it exactly the opposite of how KC did it..

In contrast to your example of a Super Bowl coach taking over a team and leading it to a winning record, that same coach left Philly with a losing record, and that team was turned around by a college coach with no NFL head coaching experience and made the playoffs.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #25
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Guarantee you Rick Smith won't be fired next season.
after capers was fired we kept Casserly for 6 more months till after the draft then fired him in like june

I think rick is deff on the hot seat esp if he does not Kill this draft and these players contracts etc

I cant see how u can have so much confidence that he will be here in 2015 ..????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll do better than 2-14. But after so many **** overs by the Oilers and Texans, I ain't getting my hopes up. But I'll be there on Sunday cheering them on anyway, it's what I do.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #27
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think we'll do better than 2-14. But after so many **** overs by the Oilers and Texans, I ain't getting my hopes up. But I'll be there on Sunday cheering them on anyway, it's what I do.
As long as there's alcohol right?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2014   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have a better chance of a superbowl in the next 5 years if we fix the QB situation with a top prospect now.

I look at the chiefs and the bengals, the bengals tool Dalton a bit later on and whilst they make the playoffs every year, he holds them back from progressing, the chiefs took smith and I think he likely has the same limiting factor in today's NFL.

Of course there's the time it'll take for a young guy to fit in (if at all), but get a vet for the time being in case he isn't ready and play the slow game.

I think the players this team has lost the last 3 years were underrated, and whilst you can't afford to pay them all, you also can afford not to replace them.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #29
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 27227 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Who are these veteran QBs you speak of who a young guy can learn behind while still doing the job well?

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #30
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

KC may find next year to be a tough roe.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do people still believe we will have a KC type turnaround next year?
Depends upon who their QB is ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #32
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Who are these veteran QBs you speak of who a young guy can learn behind while still doing the job well?

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

This sums it up. If we aren't drafting a QB no.1 overall then we are sticking with Keenum.
Old 01-05-2014   #33
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Too many holes on this team because Rick Smith sucks. I have no faith in him getting the personnel to field a winning team next season. I don't know what McNair is smoking when he said we had the most talented team this season.
Old 01-05-2014   #34
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Michael Vick
Chad Henne
Josh Freeman
Shaun Hill
Charlie Whitehurst
David Garrard
Rex Grossman
Jon Kitna
Dan Orlovsky
Kellen Clemens
Josh McCown
Seneca Wallace
Luke McCown
Derek Anderson
Tarvaris Jackson
Jimmy Clausen
Matt Flynn
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Jordan Palmer
Colt McCoy
Curtis Painter
Rusty Smith
Joe Webb
Case Keenum
TJ Yates
Vince Young
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Cassel

I'm not expecting a pro bowler, and in fact if we do work enough cap to go out and be a player in FA, I'd prefer to see it spent on stop-gap starters on D so that that unit can grow and develop some young draft picks in time for the JJ watt contract.

I think a guy like chad henne, Kyle Orton, David garrard or Matt cassell are the type of guys to go for, cheap as hell, and rather than expecting some kind of huge veteran leadership, more a guy we can throw out there to ensure that if our rookie QB of the future truly is not ready to be on the field, the coaches have the time to coach him up rather than allowing him to become shellshocked "damaged goods" by being on the field when not ready, it's hard to recover from that situation as a young QB.

If our top level draftee isn't ready, we can pretty much assume it will be reflected in our record whatever happens. Just stick a warm body out there rather than ruining the guy from the off.

The four guys I mention all have plenty of starting experience in the NFL, they aren't going to win you a championship but they should be capable of keeping things respectable.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #35
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're two solid drafts away from being a double-digit winning team. There is not as much talent on this team as people think, and our depth is truly lacking...look who we had starting in the DB corps at the end of the year and tell me we have good depth.

I don't think we're only a 6 win team next year, but 9-7 is possible given the weak sauce schedule we face. As a unit, I'm most concerned about the defense. Obviously, we can't put all the defensive struggles on losing Cushing...that's what talent and depth help you cope with, and we don't have a ton on that side of the ball.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #36
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no expectations because it's just a bit too early for any to really be built. Do I think they can do it? Yes, I don't see why not. As I type this I am watching the Chargers with a new coach who never was a head coach in the NFL playing a strong game on the road. Oh and he fired the staff. Most new head coaches do exactly that. It's nothing new nor surprising. If you need leftovers to help you evaluate the talent on the team then you have the wrong job. O'Brien shouldn't need a single coach from last year to help him in that aspect. Basically all head coaches choose their own guys.

Not to mention Chip Kelly got the Eagles in as well and of course the team mentioned, the Chiefs. In this league it is possible because this is not the league we (well some of us) grew up with where you're looking at 3 years minimum to get back on your feet. There are is always someone new in the playoffs and someone/s that have turned their season over in one year. It's been done time and time again for the last handful of years. So wouldn't be overly surprising if it happened here when you have a handful of all-pros already on roster.

Last edited by deucetx; 01-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #37
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I believe this team can have a KC like turnaround. This team has the same talent level that won them 12 games last year. If we get a franchise caliber QB in the draft we could easily be back in the playoffs next year.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #38
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. Most losses this year were due to coaching and an injured roster.

I can easily see us back in the playoffs next year.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #39
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

It's difficult to say how next year will turn out. A lot of players had down years or were injured. Can they bounce back to form or are they pretty much done?

Without injuries, this team was a lot better than a 2-14 team. So if they're healthy next year, even without adding anyone, I think they're at least 6-10. Bring in a new QB who can run the show and a RT to protect him and the offense should be top 10 again. Defense is all down to how well guys who were injured or underperformed bounce back. If everyone gets back to form, the defense should be top 10 too.

On the flip side, everything could go the other way with more regression and injuries and we end up worse than 2013.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #40
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think 2014 can be worse than this year.

Besides, we're in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee. Honestly, there is no excuse for losing any of those four games so losing them this year was just mindblowing. Of course, as we saw this year, anything and everything can happen in football. I'm not even that impressed with the Colts overall outside of Luck. They're beatable too. We were beating their asses on Sunday night before the ridiculousness set in.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read