Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-07-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's a passing league...

Confirming what we already knew, but good infographic (click for larger)

-- thesportsgeeks.com

Quote:
There have been 119 4,000 yard passing seasons in AFL/NFL history. Over half of them have come since 2006...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's a passing league...

The league changed and offenses changed with it. The league decided that marketing QB's was the most profitable way to go so all the rule changes benefit and protect the QB. If you don't have one, then get one because that's how you win in the league now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The league has been evolving into a so-called "passing league" for the past century.

Modern rule changes in favor of the passing game is part of that on-going evolution. Love it, hate it, whatever, but the historical trend is clear, and ratings have never been better for the league. They are doing something right.

I'm a fan of great defenses, but I understand that most football fans want to see exciting games with lots of offense. Same thing for baseball and homeruns and basketball and the dunk. The leagues exist to entertain at the end of the day, so no surprise that owners want to cater to what fans want in order to maximize profits.
Old 01-07-2014   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Me personally I just enjoy watching a good game. How that game unfolds (defensive or offensive) is totally irrelevant to me. I understand what the league is doing with the rule changes (trying to bring even more casual fans in) but i can say without a doubt that the defense is getting a raw deal in all of this.

The randomness in which officials choose to enforce PI and holding has always been there.....but then came the horsecollar...then the hitting the qb below the knees rule. It's gotten to the point where the offense gets the benefit of the doubt on pretty much everything. Pretty soon, qb's will be wearing red jerseys like they do in practice to ensure they don't get hit. It's getting ridiculous imo.

Now, the concussion paranoia has pretty much ruled out hitting a guy anywhere above the waist for fear of getting fined. In fairness, at least this rule targets both offense & defense with the concussion protocol and is a legit quality of life concern after football.

But if i wanted to watch arena league football, i'd watch that. It seems this is the way they want it to go though...I fear my interest in the game will wane like it did with the NBA when you started seeing 6-7 260 lb forwards flopping all over the place.

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Add on defenseless receiver rule to the craziness. Receiver goes up and catches the ball and gets hit, it is fine. However same exact scenario and the defender knocks the ball out.. Penalty so it seems.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read