Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips Appreciation Thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why do some not want Wade and then wish him well?
Really, this has to be explained?
Old 01-04-2014   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want him gone, because it looks like it is going downhill as far as his defense and his scheme goes. Wade is a great DC, but historically his defenses tend to get worse the longer he coaches on different teams. He has done a pretty good job here over all. If I was NE, I would interview Wade as long as his ideas didn't conflict to much with BB's ideas which would probably be the case. But with Wade's history of first year success with defenses, he could probably really help that unit they have over there.

Just because someone doesn't want them to coach doesn't mean they don't want to wish them well though. I think Wade's a great DC, but our new HC needs to be able to bring in "his guys" so he can have the best chance to succeed at what he wants to do here.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #23
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wanted him to stay. Good players left the team on the defense then fans say bye.
Old 01-04-2014   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Only to people who wanted it to be something it wasn't and was fooled by cherry picked statistics that they tried to use from year to year to excuse the "end of the game" failures and conservative play calling from Kubiak. His stubbornness in key situations killed the team and kept them out of the playoffs the year that Kubiak allowed two players with the same name to botch like 5 games in the final minutes. His loyalty to certain players held the offense back and hurt them in the playoffs as I should have to remind you of Jacoby Jones who should have never been re-signed. His fear of throwing the ball on 3rd downs didn't scare anyone and constantly gave this team a "soft" reputation for having a lack of a killer instinct. No one ever feared the Texans offense as much as you'd like to re-write history because of your admiration for Kubes. A lot of Texans fans did, but those are the same fans that would feel that way about any coach we hire. That's the mentality of a lot of fans that force faith no matter what the situation of the team is.

Look, I'm not wanting to defend Kubiak's qualities as a head coach. I am glad that he was fired and recognized for a number of years that he was limited in that capacity. I just personally liked him. I also believed there was reason for hope despite his limitations. Glad to turn the page...

However, there are not as many quality head coaches as you seem to believe. Many worse head coaches have passed in and out of the NFL the past 10 years. From an NFL-wide perspective, he certainly wouldn't be on many lists of worst head coaches the past decade... Granted, he's not make a top 10 list either. I think Wade and Kubiak are mirror images. They teach a successful system well. A system that works against the majority of the league. However, they lack the dynamic skills, even as coordinators and certainly as head coaches to be positive difference-makers when it really matters... They are slow to adjust in game and even slower to adjust month to month or year to year. They do what they do and do it pretty well. In the right situation, it can look very good for awhile. Eventually, though, it gets exposed.
Old 01-04-2014   #25
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Asking, why you think now was the right time? Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-04-2014   #26
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because a new HC is coming in and you want him to be able to pick his own staff.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #27
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO, historically speaking it will not get better, only worse. And there's actually quite a bit of history to draw from.

That, plus I think many here are right. No adjustments before, during, or after a game or season make the Texans dull boys.
Old 01-04-2014   #28
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Because a new HC is coming in and you want him to be able to pick his own staff.
That too. I'm all about a clean house for him when he sets up shop.
Old 01-04-2014   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
IMO, historically speaking it will not get better, only worse. And there's actually quite a bit of history to draw from.

That, plus I think many here are right. No adjustments before, during, or after a game or season make the Texans dull boys.
Thank you for answering JC and ST. We'll see.
Old 01-04-2014   #30
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Wade all the best in the future. If he continues to coach or retires and goes fishing I hope he has much success.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #31
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Look, I'm not wanting to defend Kubiak's qualities as a head coach. I am glad that he was fired and recognized for a number of years that he was limited in that capacity. I just personally liked him. I also believed there was reason for hope despite his limitations. Glad to turn the page...

However, there are not as many quality head coaches as you seem to believe. Many worse head coaches have passed in and out of the NFL the past 10 years. From an NFL-wide perspective, he certainly wouldn't be on many lists of worst head coaches the past decade... Granted, he's not make a top 10 list either. I think Wade and Kubiak are mirror images. They teach a successful system well. A system that works against the majority of the league. However, they lack the dynamic skills, even as coordinators and certainly as head coaches to be positive difference-makers when it really matters... They are slow to adjust in game and even slower to adjust month to month or year to year. They do what they do and do it pretty well. In the right situation, it can look very good for awhile. Eventually, though, it gets exposed.
Well hopefully for the next few years and even past that, we won't be having the same 20 debates every season about our coaching staff Dale. I'm all aboard the O'Brien train and have a lot of confidence in this new regime. It's what I've always wanted for the Texans actually. I just hope that O'Brien can be as smart as I think he has the potential to be on game day. I love his attitude and his approach though. I'm sure that your excited simply being the optimist that you are every season, so this year we just might get to skip all of the coaching debates in the off season we usually have. I'm super excited.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's to you Wade! If not for you we never would have had made it to the playoffs and two division titles.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well hopefully for the next few years and even past that, we won't be having the same 20 debates every season about our coaching staff Dale. I'm all aboard the O'Brien train and have a lot of confidence in this new regime. It's what I've always wanted for the Texans actually. I just hope that O'Brien can be as smart as I think he has the potential to be on game day. I love his attitude and his approach though. I'm sure that your excited simply being the optimist that you are every season, so this year we just might get to skip all of the coaching debates in the off season we usually have. I'm super excited.
Oh, I am thrilled!

O'Brien is a stud. I think he will be a great coach... My only concern is his ability to get a good staff put together quickly. I will feel better once the staff has been rounded out. But, yeah, the days of being frustrated with the same, repeated error... and knowing we are marching into big games with only a puncher's chance to win is over! I think Rick Smith has turned into a very good GM... If I am right about that, WATCH OUT!
Old 01-04-2014   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Because the NFL is a performance based league. His defense was a big part of the 2-14 season this year. They gave up 80+ yard drives most games, were terrible in the red zone, and were bottom half of the league in allowing scoring.

But that doesn't mean we think ill of him as a man, and we also appreciate the good work he did in years prior. Then there's the Phillips name. Always wish him well.
Old 01-04-2014   #35
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the memories Son of Bum. It was great to have the home town boys coaching the Texans while it lasted.

Best of luck in your future endeavors here or elsewhere. Much respect to you and your family.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #36
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Wade! 2011-12 were some fun seasons...2013...meh. Best wishes!
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #37
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade the maid Phillips, thank you sir.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #38
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade would have to read this for this appreciation thread for it to have the intended effect. But anyway thanks for everything Wade. I appreciate your time here. That first season was special.
Old 01-04-2014   #39
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am sincerely thankful for Wade's service to the Texans, he's a class act and turned a complete disgrace of a defense into the league's best in one offseason.

But the reality is that O'Brien should get who he wants on his staff; Wade was hired because Kubiak wasn't capable of hiring a competent DC.

Best of luck Wade, thanks for everything you did here.
Old 01-04-2014   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade, don't dwell on of yesterday's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow for you..........best of luck, as long as it's not against us.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read