Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-15-2014   #1
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Seahawks FB Derrick Coleman Is NFLs First Legally Deaf Offensive Player

Nice story about a guy who didn't give up despite a lot of adversity.

Here's a link to his new Duracell commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HD57z4F8E

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll could not ask for a better embodiment of his “No Whining, No Complaining, No Excuses” mantra than Derrick Coleman. Diagnosed with an incurable genetic hearing impairment as a child, Coleman is the first legally deaf offensive player in NFL history. The 23-year-old fullback has shared his story in an inspirational new commercial for Duracell that should even have fans of the San Francisco 49ers rooting for him.

Growing up in California, Coleman was able to excel on the football field by wearing hearing aids and learning to lip read. He would star as a running back for Troy High School in Fullerton, Calif., before going on to play at UCLA. Despite going undrafted out of UCLA, Coleman didn't give up on his NFL dream. He landed on the Minnesota Vikings' practice squad last season before joining the Seahawks' practice squad in December 2012. A year later, he's preparing for the NFC Championship Game.

"I think everyone has their unique story and that just happens to be mine," Coleman told NFL.com during the Seahawks' dominant 2013 regular season.

While Coleman may be correct about everyone having a story, there is no doubt that his also happens to be one of the more inspirational ones.

"I just hope to inspire people, especially children, to trust the power within and achieve their dreams," Coleman told Sporting News when asked why he opted to do the commercial with Duracell.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...html?ir=Sports
Old 01-15-2014   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Seahawks FB Derrick Coleman Is NFLs First Legally Deaf Offensive Player

The Duracell commercial is by far my favorite commercial airing right now. Coleman is an impressive young man.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Seahawks FB Derrick Coleman Is NFLs First Legally Deaf Offensive Player

Ummm Brian Murphey anyone?

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
seattle seahawks head coach pete carroll could not ask for a better embodiment of his “no whining, no complaining, no hearing, no excuses” mantra than derrick coleman.
fify
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh gosh, I'm so bitterly disappointed because I thought this thread title was going to announce the NFLs first legally married gay. Dang, guess we'll just have to wait a while longer, huh ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Ummm Brian Murphey anyone?

I know you were just trying to be funny but the actor is hearing.
Old 01-15-2014   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Oh gosh, I'm so bitterly disappointed because I thought this thread title was going to announce the NFLs first legally married gay. Dang, guess we'll just have to wait a while longer, huh ?
You're not a very bright fella are ya?

Old 01-16-2014   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
You're not a very bright fella are ya?

OK you are right, not too cool on my part. But it's just that the media (especially the "LA wing" of the national media) is so caught up in their crusade about iden tifying and then actively sponsering a gay(s) in a major sport like NFL football or NBA basketball, it gets tiresome and I made an "inappropriate"/dumb remark.
Deafness ? I've got some issues in that area myself. I'm not deaf, certainly not legally deaf, but it seems to be leaving me rapidly and they've got to repeat lots of things for me, again and again it would seem. But I'm sorry for being insensitive here, as you said we'll just chalk it up to being "not a very bright fella". My sincere apology if I offended.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #9
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 44205 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
While I don't support Gay Marriage, I'm tired of trumpeting the firsts of all divisive labels. First Yankee to coach the Texan's. News at Seven!

It get's annoying.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #10
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a letter a young girl with hearing aids wrote to him and his response. Seems like a really genuine guy.

http://i.imgur.com/euu4O39.jpg
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read