Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #141
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
I wasn't initiating a criticism, merely making my observation that the system is unimportant if you have e.g. Brady/Manning/Brees running it. Stick Brady or Manning in the Texans 2011 WC offense and we're instant Superbowl contenders.
trust me, it matters. Only one team wins each year and it isn't usually the team with the best Qb.
Old 01-04-2014   #142
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont get all of the skepticism. When we hired Wade, he was a failed HC with a reputation as a great DC who built historically good defenses...and we were optimistic (for good reason). Crennel is the exact same story, except he has three SB rings. Whats wrong with that?
Old 01-04-2014   #143
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
trust me, it matters. Only one team wins each year and it isn't usually the team with the best Qb.
Well good job it's such a closely guarded secret, cos if the other NFL teams found out, they'd all be doing it :-)
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #144
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann
Quote:
Just talked to Willie McGinest about his time under Crennel. He thinks Watt will be just fine as 5 tech. Says he'll play Seymour role.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #145
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a little disappointed we didn't keep Vance Joseph. I'm fine with BOB bringing in his own, but I feel like Vance Joseph is going to be a really good DC somewhere.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #146
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann
I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #147
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.
watt just makes plays. i don't think you need to develop a system around him. if anything build a system which helps other players shine and just sit back and watch watt do his thing
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2014   #148
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.
Right. Watt will get plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. Especially if the Texans can stop the run (and the offense can put points on the board). It's not as if the Texans will be in a base 3-4 during passing downs.
Quote:
I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.
Old 01-04-2014   #149
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's the thing though...it's about the TEAM not just Watt. I want the Texans to make plays. Watt will get his but what we need is for the team to have success. I don't really care who gets the sacks as long as they are done. That is what you saw in those Patriots defenses back then. It wasn't about just one player but all as one unit. And from seeing Watt's comments he would want nothing less than team success.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #150
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Seymour play in the middle?
Old 01-04-2014   #151
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Didn't Seymour play in the middle?
He played 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT. he was above average at both positions and in theory like Watt could have played strong De in a 4-3 if needed.
Old 01-04-2014   #152
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's just another option available to us. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't. But if we're talking about maximizing our free cap space for the 2014 season, we make Schaub a June 1st cut. He's due $17M in 2015. Making him a June 1st cut would save us $10M against the 2015 cap.

If you haven't done it, go to OTC As it stands we are $8.7M under the cap for 2014, $18.8M under for 2015.

If we make Schaub a June 1st cut (in the drop down box) we'll be $19.2M under in 2014 & $28.7M under in 2015.
I've heard the cap is going up in 2015. The new TV deal kicks in.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #153
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

But, okay... Reject that system! What do you suggest?
Stop letting facts getting in the way of all of that Texans hate. Seems to me BoB finally made a potentially great hire.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #154
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.
Hell, that's a huge understatement. And I loved Seymour in NE. One of the dumbest moves by BB he ever made. But Seymour couldn't hold Watt's jockstrap. Watt is just another type of beast.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #155
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

RAC does more 1 gaping than people initially think. Seymore had 10 sacks 1 yr and ty warren had 8. =hose were multiple,great defensive teams. He also turned teddy bruschi,a former 4-3 de into a hell raising ilb( brooks reed get ready). He plays a lot of zone and as someone mntioned,from ted washington to wilfolk to poe,he likes the immoveable nt. Been wanting romeo for awhile,glad he's here now,hopefully.
Old 01-05-2014   #156
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1939 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

if this turns out to be true i would be super pumped

and if you think watt is gonna wanna stick around to get sacks his whole career you are crazy, i think he wants to win more than anything

the one thing that stands out to me is that amazing defense the chiefs played a couple years back to give the packers their first loss of the season.. big upset
Old 01-05-2014   #157
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Johnson hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #158
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Thomas hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.
Derrick Johnson?
Old 01-05-2014   #159
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Derrick Johnson?
Yeah, that's my mistake. Although Thomas would have been a great fit in his defense.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #160
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Yeah, that's my mistake. Although Thomas would have been a great fit in his defense.
He and JJ on the same team would be something to behold for sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read