Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #101
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.
I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #102
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.
Didnt BOB say he dont care about players personal stats, but instead about the team.....If that is the case though you can expect Watt to not stay around after his contract is up.
Old 01-04-2014   #103
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing Rac is going to run a hybrid and maximize our best players. The days of running one D all the time are long gone.

Also, was Watt double teamed all year or just chipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #104
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

lifeline.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #105
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Good chance that Romeo Crennel becomes #Texans DC. But not yet. Just texted me, “Still unemployed.” Will coach East-West game in 2 weeks
Thread title wrong
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #106
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Thread title wrong
yeah i agree i have been looking for confirmation all morning and havent found any.
Old 01-04-2014   #107
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't we do something similar with hiring Wade after the East-West Shrine game so that he could get a better knowledge of the prospects from the inside? Active NFL coaches can't participate in it right?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2014   #108
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

790 (or 610) not sure which station but anyways, one of the commentators made a valid point for sticking with Wade.

A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.

Romeo is also a solid hire and I think he would make an excellent coordinator. He had a solid 10-6 season with the Browns who lacked talent and he did an OK job at KC and I would argue he laid the foundation for them to be successful down the road.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #109
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Don't, just don't.
Old 01-04-2014   #110
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Haha

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #111
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.
A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #112
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 3408 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #113
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.
The "bend but don't break monicker" is not really the intention/goal of the 2-Gap defense... The nature of the defense lends itself to zones or man under with zone deep coverage, which tend to prevent quick strikes... not to mention that it is not a system that requires each gap of the line to be penetrated by a defender... Therefore, it is not as easily attacked with screens and draws as one-gap attack defenses... Generally, there is less "gambling" at the line of scrimmage but that is a function of discipline and design rather than an attitude of caution.

Also, Romeo's defenses have always been good in the red zone... Because it is designed to react to the offense as a single entity, seldom will you see LBs chasing receivers across the field in man coverage. How many red zone passing TDs did the Texans give up because the offense was able to use formation or motion to get a favorable matchup isolated in man coverage? Next year, that should be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 01-04-2014   #114
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Wait, didn't thunderkyss say this would never happen?

Great hire, peace out Wade!
Reverse prophecy. You can thank me latter.

I'm stoked. Imagine the guys who wanted Cowher as their next head coach, how happy they would be if that were to happen. That's how happy I am right now.

I didn't think O'Brien could pull in Crennel (I think that much of him) even with their New England connection. They weren't there at the same time. I didn't believe they knew each other very well, if at all.
Old 01-04-2014   #115
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.
He might of failed as a head coach but he has always been a good DC
Old 01-04-2014   #116
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody needs to change the thread title!

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #117
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.
First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed
Old 01-04-2014   #118
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Somebody needs to change the thread title!
Agreed. Has there been confirmation? This is all I got. We may be jumping the gun here.
Quote:
The Texans are expected to give Romeo Crennel a strong look as possibly their next defensive coordinator. Wade Phillips' chances of sticking with the team are very small to none, according to Rapoport.
Old 01-04-2014   #119
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed
If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players (cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).

Manning and JoJo have been beasts when they came here and then declined and got injured. I´d like to give them a chance in training camp with the new coaching staff.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #120
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players
You're right. I read the dead money wrong.

Quote:
(cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).
You're right, unless we designate him as a June 1st cut. We'll gain $11M from cutting Schaub & $7M by designating Jjo a June 1st cut as well.... I believe we're allowed 2. Though I don't suggest we cut Jjo, just renegotiate his compensation freeing up as much as $7M.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read