Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #81
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

I like this new coach
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #82
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Will this team ever have it's own identity...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #83
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Crawl , walk , run .

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #84
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
NT: **
DE: Crick, Jamison
DE:

Let's assume Watt converts to some type of OLB

OLB:Watt,
OLB:Mercilus, T. Williams
ILB:Cushing
ILB:B. Reed

CB: KJ, B.Harris
CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot
S: Manning
S: Swearinger, Pleasant?

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.
I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.
Old 01-04-2014   #85
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Crawl , walk , run .

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?
No that is what I am saying, Kubiak comes in and tries to make the Texans look like the Denver Broncos and failed for the most part. Now O'Brien comes in, has started hiring former Patriot coaches, and now the Texans will look like the Patriots...

I just would like the Texans to look like the Texans and stand apart on their own...

Old 01-04-2014   #86
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.
Well, if Crennel wants to keep his system, we don`t need Clowney. He will need to be creative with Watt - if he also wants to use Clowney to his strengths he will either only be a situational pass rusher or change the whole 2 gap philosophy. Basically in that system, the D-Line plays like the O-Line. They block the O-Line players so that the LBs have a gap they can shoot. They are not looking to win the battle, they are looking to keep the linemen off the LBs.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #87
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0
Old 01-04-2014   #88
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #89
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0
Forgot Shannahan's Broncos = SF 2.0

Gruden's Raiders and Bucs = SF 2.0

OR it could go the way of McDaniel's Broncos = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Haley's Chiefs = Cardnials/Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Crennel's Browns = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

Old 01-04-2014   #90
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.
Yeah I get that, just don't want to hear that the Texans are the Patriot's 2.0 like we heard the Texans were Denver 2.0...

but if the Texans have 3 SB wins, guess being like the Patriots wouldn't be a bad thing...

Old 01-04-2014   #91
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

NT: **
DE: Crick, Jamison
DE:

Let's assume Watt converts to some type of OLB

OLB:Watt,
OLB:Mercilus, T. Williams
ILB:Cushing
ILB:B. Reed

CB: KJ, B.Harris
CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot
S: Manning
S: Swearinger, Pleasant?

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.
If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #92
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Great hire. Now maybe we get our fat boy in the middle of the dl. All we need now is Charlie Weiss (just kidding) as oc. If we hire the oc from Louisville then we all know who the first pick of the draft will be. I'm more for drafting Clowney and going with a veteran qb. Trading down would be alright with me also and grabbing one of the top 2 linebackers.
Old 01-04-2014   #93
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.
Crennel likes big guys at NT and OLB IIRC .

Can we hire the camera crew from NE ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #94
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I don't see where Clowney fits in the defense. I hear people say he can play OLB, but I don't see it. He's not a 3-4 DE either. He could be, but he doesn't want to be. He said last year that he wanted no part of playing 3-4 DE (sorry, couldn't find link) because he wants to rush the passer. The guy wants sacks. How long does he two-gap and play the run before he gives up because he isn't getting to the QB?

We need a big guy with length, who can beat single blocking and disrupt in the backfield, but who can also hold down to a double team and keep the LB's clean.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #95
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Which FA are Crennel guys? He will surely bring a couple of guys in who know the system.
Old 01-04-2014   #96
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Which FA are Crennel guys? He will surely bring a couple of guys in who know the system.
Is there any chance Seymore gets cut by the Raiders this year before June 1st?

Old 01-04-2014   #97
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thought Seymore was retired?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #98
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #99
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I hear Haynesworth is available.

Old 01-04-2014   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seymour didn't play last yr.

The Bears tied to sign him after Melton got hurt. He wanted 5 mil for half a season. So that's not happening. Although it would be great if it did.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read