Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #61
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.
No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

NT: **
DE: Crick, Jamison
DE:

Let's assume Watt converts to some type of OLB

OLB:Watt,
OLB:Mercilus, T. Williams
ILB:Cushing
ILB:B. Reed

CB: KJ, B.Harris
CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot
S: Manning
S: Swearinger, Pleasant?

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.
Old 01-04-2014   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?
He's already that.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #63
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be
This! I'm not quite sure why people are in such a panic. Crennel isn't a dumb guy. He mixes up his schemes well and no doubt he'll find ways for Watt to make plays. Will there be times he may be asked to take on blocks to free people up? Sure, but its not going to be nearly as much as some here are thinking. JJ will still be the playmaking beast he's been since day 1.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #64
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

Link

Yes! thank you. Seymour!
Old 01-04-2014   #65
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this! We need to see what Crennel can do! He also has a long history of being a great DC! I still remember those Pats D when he ran it!
Old 01-04-2014   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.
Richard Seymour
Old 01-04-2014   #67
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?
I guess Mitchell will move over to DE - I think he would actually excell as a 3-4 DE in Crennells system. Why is Sharpton gone? He should be just fine as an ILB as long as he can stay healthy.

Right now, the line seems like the only area with a massive change. And still we have Watt, Mitchell and Crick as pretty suitable DEs. We are very thin at DT, that`s true. But a FA and a draftpick should suffice to fix that (Mitchell or Crick can play inside in case of emergency).

IŽd say it is safe to say that NT will be either a big FA signing or a high draft pick. Other than that, most of our players can stay. Mercilus will love the new system. Perhaps get another pass rushing OLB, maybe some more depth at ILB and we are set. 4-6 new players through FA and draft picks with only 1-2 needing to be real impact players. That`s not a rebuild.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2014   #68
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yes, how best to utilize Watt is probably his first thought after being hired. No worries about sacrifising JJ for the "system" here.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-04-2014   #69
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Like this. Let's go Texans!!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #70
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

good hire. I'm liking what I see so far.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #71
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quickly running through some 2Gap free agent names:

R.Starks
Solial
A. Franklin
L. Joseph
T. Cody
Ratliff
Pickett
J. Powe
Tyson Jackson
Raji
Kiesel
J.Jolly

among others...
Old 01-04-2014   #72
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

BOB said he wanted everyone to play as a "team".. and I believe that's something JJ believes in, I don't think he would wine about not getting as many sacks, if the team is winning.. but to be Honest... its JJ Watt!! He's still gonna have double digit sacks
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #73
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Richard Seymour
Yeah, sorry. I blanked on that one. Amazing what a couple of years in Oakland can do.
Old 01-04-2014   #74
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 41240 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Romeo Crennel=Wade Phillips 2.0
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?
Sign Linval Joseph in FA and draft Ryan Carrethers.

If they dont draft Clowney I could see Mitchell re-signed and moved to DE to compete with Crick.
Old 01-04-2014   #76
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Romeo Crennel=Wade Phillips 2.0
Can you explain this?
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #77
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Can you explain this?

I can explain it. He has no idea what he's talking about.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #78
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 44615 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.
I like an old coot that the entire league knows is not a good HC. He can be great as a DC and be here for years because he won't get hired away like Horton would. Therefore my second choice was ... Thorn.
Old 01-04-2014   #79
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Can you explain this?
Perhaps better DC than HC?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #80
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player
yeah, I really don't care about 3-4 v 4-3 probably as much as I should for this reason. the fat NT plays less than 3rd corner and some games less than 6th DB.

JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.

Anyway, Romeo is a good hire also since it does give O'Brien a former NFL head coach as a resource for little things we that we as fans may not know or even care about that may be a part of the job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read