Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?
He already is a double-team magnet.

People are going to double Watt no matter what. Our LB crew is going to have to start making more plays and we're finally going to get that big man in the middle we've all been begging for. This is going to keep Cush cleaner and allow him to make more plays.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #42
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.
Watt as an OLB, interesting.
Old 01-04-2014   #43
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!
He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.
Old 01-04-2014   #44
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.
This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #45
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, bu this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.
I love this hire!

I have always liked what NE has done on defense.

Now we have to wait to see if it's all just Belichick.
Old 01-04-2014   #46
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I love this hire!

I really think it's not. We are building a super bowl type coaching staff.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #47
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
I really think it's not. We are building a super bowl type coaching staff.
I feel that way too.
Old 01-04-2014   #48
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I love this hire!

NE doesn't run Crennel's 3-4 anymore. They have gone to a more hybrid 4-3 system. Baltimore and Cleveland run the most similar looking defense to what Crennel has run.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities...
Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Surprise - wiki has it wrong. Read the list of coaching jobs. It reads as 2005-2008 NE DC.
Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

Quote:
Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.
I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

Quote:
The New England Patriots employ a variety of strategies during play. Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have utilized an "Erhardt-Perkins" offense and a "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3–4 defense, referred to commonly as a 2-gap 3–4 defensive system.
Link
Old 01-04-2014   #50
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Richard Seymour was widely considered among the best if not the best defensive lineman in the league during the Pats defensive heyday under Crennel. I do believe he will have to make some schematic concessions for JJ though, way too talented to not fully utilize.
Old 01-04-2014   #51
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

Link

Surprised you didn't read the rest of my post stating that exact fact.
Old 01-04-2014   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.
If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=69
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #53
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

That`s cold blooded by O`Brien. First saying he will talk to all coaches here - then spending 5 minutes to just fire them all...

That being said, I like Crennel. He is a way better DC than HC. But I am also a little worried about Watt. He is too good to just use to occupy blockers. And he can`t be turned into an OLB. I don`t know much about defensive schemes, but maybe let the NT (probably has to be a new one) and the other DE (probably not Smith, maybe Crick) be 2 gaps, and Watt be a 1 gap player?

Man, this upcoming season will be exciting. All new coaches - new offense, new defense, probably new QB - number 1 pick in every round. Probably some FAs with the cap savings we get from Schaub and Smith...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #54
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be
Old 01-04-2014   #55
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player
Old 01-04-2014   #56
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be
Exactly. Who cares what that (nice) description of Romeo's defense says, Watt will beast in it because he is a beast. Doesn't matter what system or scheme you put that guy in, he will get his no matter what.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #57
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=69
No I read it and understood it. I just find it hard to believe that if watt somehow manages to bust through a double team, which he did numerous times this season, that he will stop his pursuit of the QB just to stay put "clogging the hole".

I'm not sideways with you bro, I'm just saying that just because he is meant to be double teamed doesn't mean he won't post decent sack numbers as a 3-4 DE. He's proved to be able to do it time in and time out this season and last.

Double teaming watt seems to have been a gameplan for many OC's around the league and it still didn't work 100% of the time. Watt continues to beat them and penetrate even when there is two fat boys on him. He's just that good.

Until RC says that he doesn't want watt to pursue the QB IF he happens to beat a double team, I will still continue not much should change with him.

He is a one of a kind Manimal.
Old 01-04-2014   #58
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #59
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, how best to utilize Watt is probably his first thought after being hired. No worries about sacrifising JJ for the "system" here.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #60
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read