Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2014   #501
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

There are a couple of things I'm intrigued about with Crennel. He got the best out of 3 defensive players while he was in Kansas City and I'm wondering if he'll do the same with some of the players here. Berry, Hali, and Derrick Johnson all really started to develop while he was there.

Although Swearinger doesn't have quite the physical talent as Berry they are pretty similar players so I'm curious if he can take DJ to that next level. I wish there were some better second round options at QB so we could just go with Clowney at #1 and find a QB at the top of the 2nd round.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #502
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm becoming intrigued with Anthony Barr as our first pick. And then, deeper into the draft, for DE, a player like Ed Stinson, or Taylor Hart or Josh Mauro, all of whom have adequate speed to go with good size and effort, may be an ideal fit for Crennel's 2-gap scheme.

Of course, I'm sticking with my preference to trade out of the 1-1 draft slot.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #503
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I'm becoming intrigued with Anthony Barr as our first pick.
I'm more intrigued by Kyle Van Noy. The guy is a playmaker. Barr may have all the measureables, but Van Noy always produces. The guy lives around the ball. I think he would be a perfect OLB in Crennel's defense.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #504
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm more intrigued by Kyle Van Noy. The guy is a playmaker. Barr may have all the measureables, but Van Noy always produces. The guy lives around the ball. I think he would be a perfect OLB in Crennel's defense.
Van Noy should be around as well when we draft in the 2nd.
Old 01-25-2014   #505
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
That's nuts! I would take him in the middle of the first round, easily. If he was sitting there in the 20s, I would be hoping the Texans would trade up and grab him instead of risking it.
Old 01-25-2014   #506
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That's nuts! I would take him in the middle of the first round, easily. If he was sitting there in the 20s, I would be hoping the Texans would trade up and grab him instead of risking it.
I think so too, but from what I've seen he's a late 1st to a mid 2nd round pick. I just have a feeling he'll be there at 33.
Old 01-25-2014   #507
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Van Noy as well; also Shayne Skov. Trading out of the 1-1 pick, I'd like to pick up two LB's in rounds 1 and 2 as well as a DE like Stinson. Depending on how the trading goes, a NT no later than the 3rd round; someone like Daniel McCullers or Ryan Carrethers or Deandre Coleman.

As can be seen, my draft would lean heavily defense. But I'd take an offensive lineman either in round 2 or 3. That's five picks in rounds 1 through 3. Trading out of 1-1 we should have at least one additional pick which would be a QB.

With the high number of under-classmen entering the draft, we should be able to address most of our team needs with a quality draft. I'd also hope for an additional #1 pick in the 2015 draft, to be used, with our own #1, to address the QB position if the need was still there.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2014   #508
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Unlike previous regimes I fully expect BO'B to hit on at least 4 picks in this yrs draft, probably 5 after seeing the depth of the draft and the advantage of drafting 4-1/5-1. It would help if BoB let Rick pick talented but troubled players in rds 5-7.
A reason I am hoping for some trade downs due to many players I like in third round/
Old 01-25-2014   #509
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't think so. When it's all said and done, I expect him to be gone in the top 25 picks. Would love for him to be there at #33 though.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #510
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think so. When it's all said and done, I expect him to be gone in the top 25 picks. Would love for him to be there at #33 though.
I don't agree, but I guess we'll see.
Old 01-25-2014   #511
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
By at least one count, the top twenty-five players will have 15 jrs; and 19 out of the top 32. This pushes a lot of players into the second round you might otherwise expect to go in the first. And out of the top 100, as many as 50 may be jrs.
Old 01-26-2014   #512
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If thats the case, (god I hope it is) we have a lot of work to do his offseason.
As far as the feeling that a fat boy in the middle is not important.............look at what happened to the Pats after they lost Wilfork.........and look what happened to the Pats when Denver's 330 pounder consistently steamrolled his way up the middle to mess up Brady big time.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #513
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Likeable Crennel connects with his players

Quote:
But Crennel wasn’t a pushover. Far from it.

While he was kind and gentle, he was demanding too. He didn’t yell often but when he did, his players listened. There was always accountability on his New England defenses.

“He is a great guy and he is mild mannered, but when he needs to put his foot down, he can,” said longtime Patriot and NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest. “He’s an open book; you can talk to him. He’s very approachable. He’s has that mild mannered side but he can get after your a$$ if he needs to.”

But with those teams of the early 2000s, Crennel didn’t have to yell or scream too much. See, those Patriots won Super Bowls in three of the four seasons when Crennel was the defensive coordinator. But, of course, there were some moments.

“It was almost shocking when he did go off,” Klecko said. “But every once in a while…”
Quote:
Crennel is honest. He’s straightforward. He doesn’t mince his words. His former players appreciated that.

“He’s a fair guy. He’s very fair,” Johnson said. “We always appreciated that about Rac. He would tell you how that is. He would never bullisht you. You appreciate that, when your boss doesn’t beat around the bush.”
Quote:
...Falcons went up seven early but some of the veteran leaders on the Patriots saw a chance for the defense to get more aggressive. They told Crennel. And he listened.

The Patriots’ defense finished the game with nine sacks and New England beat Atlanta 24-10. The Patriots lost just one more game that season, two weeks later to the Rams by a touchdown. Then they ran the table – nine straight wins – and got revenge on St. Louis in the Super Bowl.

And it all started because Crennel listened to his players and changed his defensive strategy.
Quote:
“He’s very much the coach; we were subordinates,” Johnson stressed. “It was a trust that was gained just through being together for so long. A lot of people say he is set in his ways… He’ll adapt. He’s not going to try to fit a square peg in a round hole.”

...Crennel was a part of the Patriots’ teams that didn’t care what system they were supposed to run. They ran what they thought was going to work that week. If that meant changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in a week, they’d do it. If that meant moving a player to a different position, they’d do it.

“We game-planned according to the teams that we played against and what was most effective and finding their weak points,” McGinest said. “We would do whatever we needed to do that’s going to give their offense trouble. That’s the good thing about Romeo. It’s a week-to-week game plan. He just doesn’t throw a skeleton defense on the field. He changes things each week to give his guys favorable matchups.”

What really has some Texans fans worried is the role All-Pro defensive end J.J. Watt will have in Crennel’s defense

...[Joe] Klecko said Crennel will definitely put Watt in situations where he can get a chance to work one-on-one. And for a defensive end of Watt’s caliber, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Those guys are going to love Romeo,” McGinest said. “He likes to move guys around. It’s going to be fun. I’m excited to see the turnaround. He walked into a gold mine. He walked into a lot of talent. I can’t wait to see what he does.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #514
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm digging this Romeo Crennel hire more and more. I was never against it but I did have a few slight reservations. After reading this, I'm ready to run through a few brick walls for him.

“He is a great guy and he is mild mannered, but when he needs to put his foot down, he can,” said longtime Patriot and NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest. “He’s an open book; you can talk to him. He’s very approachable. He’s has that mild mannered side but he can get after your a** if he needs to.”

The rest of the story...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #515
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm digging this Romeo Crennel hire more and more. I was never against it but I did have a few slight reservations. After reading this, I'm ready to run through a few brick walls for him.
We've had some pretty good DCs if you think about it. Vic Fangio, Wade Phillips, RAC.... not a bad group at all really.
Old 01-27-2014   #516
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Love reading that about crennel and basicall obrien too.

One of my main issues with the previous staff was their slow reactions, poor feel
For in game and long term adjustments and they wouldn't mix things up to use their players to the best of their advantage.

I feel like those days are gone.

I feel like if McCain and Harris were our reserve corners they'd use McCain against smaller speedier guys that he matched up better with and Harris against bigger more physical guys. Just as an example. You wouldn't have the SOS every week with McCain getting bossed up by big guys in the slot and Harris getting PI trying to hold fast shifty guys running deep routes.

I feel like we'll mix up our coverages. Zone, man, zone-man. Moving guys like watt and Cushing around. Mixing in some exotic packages on occasion.

I think offense will be similar. Using guys that are good at certain things to take advantage of defenses.

I don't know what the results will be, but I feel muuuuuuch better with this staff.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #517
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Great find! This goes along with all of the other info I've been hearing from both coaches and players.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #518
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Love reading that about crennel and basicall obrien too.

One of my main issues with the previous staff was their slow reactions, poor feel
For in game and long term adjustments and they wouldn't mix things up to use their players to the best of their advantage.

I feel like those days are gone.

I feel like if McCain and Harris were our reserve corners they'd use McCain against smaller speedier guys that he matched up better with and Harris against bigger more physical guys. Just as an example. You wouldn't have the SOS every week with McCain getting bossed up by big guys in the slot and Harris getting PI trying to hold fast shifty guys running deep routes.

I feel like we'll mix up our coverages. Zone, man, zone-man. Moving guys like watt and Cushing around. Mixing in some exotic packages on occasion.

I think offense will be similar. Using guys that are good at certain things to take advantage of defenses.

I don't know what the results will be, but I feel muuuuuuch better with this staff.
I agree on bolded. I am hoping to see our bench develop into better players. that an any improvement on special teams would be great.
Old 01-27-2014   #519
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Great find! This goes along with all of the other info I've been hearing from both coaches and players.
DOH! I missed it already being posted. That Playoffs is quick on the keyboard I tell ya!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #520
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree on bolded. I am hoping to see our bench develop into better players. that an any improvement on special teams would be great.
I've often wondered why our "reserves" never seem to "step up" the way other players would for their team.

I mean Jacoby was balling in last season's play-offs. Shane Vareen whupped our butts, remember? Y'all remember David Tyree?

But then you know Kubiak had somewhat of a caste system going on at Reliant. I love Arian, but at times Ben was the hot hand... he'd still get benched & Arian would set records for most carries in a game/season.

Jacoby was the difference, took tops off defenses, big play maker.. but Walter was #2. McCain sucked, Harris can't get on the field. Wade Smith sucked, Derek Newton sucked, but they rotated with players who were playing better & they started.

No doubt there was a time when that was exactly what this team needed, but we're past that. I hope we're past that. These guys need to know their competing for that spot each & every snap.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read