Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2014   #481
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm actually in favor of being more multiple on defense. It's one thing that Seattle does so well, even though they are mostly known for their secondary play. The ability to give 34, 43, or 52 looks without changing the personnel on the field is valuable, as you can give the offense so many looks that they can't completely prepare for each one, and instead must spend time preparing for all of them.

It's pretty much the same philosophy that O'Brien has on offense. The more multiple you can be, the more you can take advantage of each opponent's specific weaknesses.
I suspect that we there will be plenty of personnel movement on both sides of the ball in games. I believe that there will be a ton of packages versus the same 11 giving looks w/o substituting. I think that there will a better use of the entire 46 game day roster than we used to here.
Old 01-22-2014   #482
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The one thing I really remember about RAC defenses is versitility. The pats defense had common traits that went back in time. All of the lbs,except ted were college de's. Mcginist,bruschi,vrabel,and even when the got colvin from the bears. That's because those guys when they blitzed,even from ilb spots knew how to beat blockers. The double a gap blitz by wade used to do very little damage because other than cushing,they didn't know how to beat blockers even on a blitz.

Another common trait is dl flexibility. Pats were a 4-3 unit at first,but after they got wilfolk,they were primarily 3-4. Through injury and team scheme,they would do 4-3 also. Against a qb with wheels,you might be more 3-4 by hav ing more athletes on the field,but vs pocket passers, it might be more 4-3.

In the secondary,again versitlity. If possible,crennel will play a lot of cover 3,cover 4. He will also invert the safety and corners to allow the safety get the better jam and turn him lose on the cb. He will play some man,but he is really good inside the rz. His redzone coverage is pretty basic which allows guys to play fast.
Old 01-22-2014   #483
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
But Crennel did say, when asked whether the Texans would run a 3-4 defense (as they have the past several seasons) or a 4-3 front (as they are rumored to be switching to),

What is that all about? Where did this rumor come from? Has anyone heard that we will be switching to a 4/3?
All I have seen is he said the defense will be based in the 3-4 but multiple. Also stated he has worked with small DT and big so that is yet to be determined. But unlike others I don't put too much thought on that. You're almost in nickle and dime more than base.

Quote:
Asked what kind of defense he would run, Crennel said the Texans would be based out of the 3-4, but be a multiple defense. "We expect our guys to be flexible and be able to do more than one thing," Crennel said. Zierlein also asked Crennel for his preferences on nose tackles. Crennel said he's played with small ones and big ones and what he did this time around was to be determined.
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...s-coordinators
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #484
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why anyone is trying to get something out of his comments. From listening to him it seems he is in MAJOR coach speak mode righ now. To me, it seemed like he barely even knew all the defensive players names (other than the obvious ones) at this point and was just answering every answer w tons of BS and leaving all options open because he himself has no clue yet.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #485
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ Visits With Texans DC Romeo Crennel
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #486
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, his interviews have been less than inspiring thus far. I hope he is just some mad defensive scientist, but he sounds more like a really nice but bad politician at this point.
Old 01-23-2014   #487
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Crennel has not had a chance yet to establish anything.
Old 01-23-2014   #488
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yeah, his interviews have been less than inspiring thus far. I hope he is just some mad defensive scientist, but he sounds more like a really nice but bad politician at this point.
This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak. That's his personality. He is a super nice guy which is why his players love him, but he's a defensive mastermind. I don't care how a guy speaks to the media. I just want him to dial up the right schemes at the right times and make sure good players are on the field. Don't need him to be a crazy person like Rob Ryan.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #489
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak.
Purdy much
Old 01-23-2014   #490
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
This must be your first time ever hearing Crennel speak. That's his personality. He is a super nice guy which is why his players love him, but he's a defensive mastermind. I don't care how a guy speaks to the media. I just want him to dial up the right schemes at the right times and make sure good players are on the field. Don't need him to be a crazy person like Rob Ryan.
People keep talking about these scheme thingies.

I'm excited to see them in action!
Old 01-23-2014   #491
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

TEXANS D-LINE

One thing that struck me last year is that, because Wade's philosophy, by the second half, ALL of our starter DL were too pooped to function worth a darn. Crennel will have big boys who will ROTATE regularly. That in itself should make the rush defense game AND the pass rush game remarkably better.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #492
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

TEXANS D-LINE

One thing that struck me last year is that, because Wade's philosophy, by the second half, ALL of our starter DL were too pooped to function worth a darn. Crennel will have big boys who will ROTATE regularly. That in itself should make the rush defense game AND the pass rush game remarkably better.
I have to take up for Wade on this one. His scheme calls for rotation, but injuries and poor play required leaving the only guys playing well in too long. Crennel will only be able to rotate when he has healthy players playing well at something.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #493
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting Crick to have his breakout year

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #494
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I'm expecting Crick to have his breakout year
They say the biggest jump is usually from year 1 to year 2. I'd love to see him blow up, but I don't see it, not going to a more traditional 3-4.

Old 01-24-2014   #495
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

But Crick has Quick development, High Motor, Spin Move AND Bull Rush in Madden!
Old 01-24-2014   #496
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

TEXANS D-LINE

Ive been crying about our depth on defensive front seven for two years. We don't have anyone to rotate. Can't wait to see who we add.
Old 01-24-2014   #497
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ive been crying about our depth on defensive front seven for two years. We don't have anyone to rotate. Can't wait to see who we add.
How are we going to add quality on defense? With our salary cap, about all we can afford is league minimum FA's. Drafting a QB 1-1, we can upgrade two positions in rounds 2 and 3. After that, the picks become marginal.

Out of necessity, our defense will mostly consist of players already on the roster; and we hope the new coaching staff can work some magic.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #498
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully they've finally decided to fix the trenches on both sides of the ball. Unlike previous regimes.

This appears to be the case, because they have talked mainly to OL/DL at the Sr. Bowl according to Optimum Scouting.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #499
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
How are we going to add quality on defense? With our salary cap, about all we can afford is league minimum FA's. Drafting a QB 1-1, we can upgrade two positions in rounds 2 and 3. After that, the picks become marginal.

Out of necessity, our defense will mostly consist of players already on the roster; and we hope the new coaching staff can work some magic.
Unlike previous regimes I fully expect BO'B to hit on at least 4 picks in this yrs draft, probably 5 after seeing the depth of the draft and the advantage of drafting 4-1/5-1. It would help if BoB let Rick pick talented but troubled players in rds 5-7.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #500
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Unlike previous regimes I fully expect BO'B to hit on at least 4 picks in this yrs draft, probably 5 after seeing the depth of the draft and the advantage of drafting 4-1/5-1. It would help if BoB let Rick pick talented but troubled players in rds 5-7.
You're certainly correct about depth of this draft. There is an all time record jr class entering the draft - nearly a hundred. Some find this troubling. The overall quality of next year's sr class will be that much less.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read