Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2014   #441
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 84882 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Why wouldn't the best defensive prospect in the draft be an option?
Some think that Crennel can only coach a 2 gap 3-4 and uses DE to tie up blockers only.
Old 01-20-2014   #442
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Crennel NORMALLY coaches the 3-4.

But he's also coached the 4-3.

I expect him to adapt to the players he's got.
This team played in a 3-4 last year. The only difference will be the type of scheme they utilize. I don't see them drafting a guy first overall that will make the DC switch schemes. More likely, they will draft an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Why wouldn't the best defensive prospect in the draft be an option?
Because Clowney doesn't fit into the 3-4 scheme Crennel usually runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Some think that Crennel can only coach a 2 gap 3-4 and uses DE to tie up blockers only.
Well, I simply don't think they will draft a guy 1.1 that doesn't fit into the defensive scheme of the DC. If the Texans wanted to run a 4-3 I think they would have hired a different coach for their defense.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #443
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Crennel NORMALLY coaches the 3-4.

But he's also coached the 4-3.

I expect him to adapt to the players he's got.
Crennel had better go with a 4-3, one-gap alingment even if we don't draft Clowney, because if he wastes JJ on the a 3-4, two-gap scheme he needs to be canned. JJ is far too valuable as a pass-rusher to be wasted as a DLine guy who's biggest task is to tie-up offensive lineman to effectively run interference for LBs. I would certainly think Crennel knows the value of a talent like JJ.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #444
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
This team played in a 3-4 last year. The only difference will be the type of scheme they utilize. I don't see them drafting a guy first overall that will make the DC switch schemes. More likely, they will draft an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Because Clowney doesn't fit into the 3-4 scheme Crennel usually runs.

Well, I simply don't think they will draft a guy 1.1 that doesn't fit into the defensive scheme of the DC. If the Texans wanted to run a 4-3 I think they would have hired a different coach for their defense.
Aldon Smith has thrived in a similar 2-gap SF defense as an OLB and Clowney is similarly built. I don't think a defense exists that Clowney wouldn't thrive in.
Old 01-20-2014   #445
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Aldon Smith has thrived in a similar 2-gap SF defense as an OLB and Clowney is similarly built. I don't think a defense exists that Clowney wouldn't thrive in.
I'm not sure I could get behind drafting a guy 1.1 to make him change positions (4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB). If they draft Clowney I hope they utilize a 4-3 defense, I just don't think they will draft him considering Crennel prefers the 3-4.
Old 01-20-2014   #446
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
We actually played more of a 5-2 hybrid and when we went to nickel, we usually shifted to 4-3. The main issue is whether our DL was being asked to shoot the gaps or play 2 gaps and our D was about shooting gaps. Most of Crennel's DLs have been 2 gap, read and react types of defenses.

BUT.

Crennel has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses although he tends toward 3-4. I don't expect us to go Clowney but if we do, it's because Crennel thinks he can put something together that gets the best out of both JJ and Clowney.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #447
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We actually played more of a 5-2 hybrid and when we went to nickel, we usually shifted to 4-3. The main issue is whether our DL was being asked to shoot the gaps or play 2 gaps and our D was about shooting gaps. Most of Crennel's DLs have been 2 gap, read and react types of defenses.

BUT.

Crennel has coached both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses although he tends toward 3-4. I don't expect us to go Clowney but if we do, it's because Crennel thinks he can put something together that gets the best out of both JJ and Clowney.
I agree and I think it would be the best thing for the defense. Watt & Clowney would cause havoc for opposing QB's. I don't see it happening though.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014   #448
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if O'Brien goes for anything other than a QB with the 1st pick. I know there's no Luck in this draft, but TB, JFF, or BB have the potential to develop into a franchise QB like Rodgers or Brees. And, I think O'Brien can't wait to get his hands on one of them to develop.

What I think Crennel will be looking for in the draft is a big NT, a DE to replace Antonio, and an OLB to move Reed inside. I just hope he doesn't try to change Watt and waste his talents. They need to extend Watt this year so he doesn't go in to FA next year. If he feels Crennel isn't going to use him the right way, he's gone!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #449
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 382259 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
They need to extend Watt this year so he doesn't go in to FA next year.
JJ is not sniffing FA for years. His rookie contract goes through 2014. 2015 is an optional 5th year under the CBA. After that he can be tagged twice before it gets insanely expensive. That is four more seasons where the Texans have all the leverage.
Old 01-20-2014   #450
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
JJ is not sniffing FA for years. His rookie contract goes through 2014. 2015 is an optional 5th year under the CBA. After that he can be tagged twice before it gets insanely expensive. That is four more seasons where the Texans have all the leverage.
It is highly unlikely that the player would hold out through all that versus taking long term contract, since JJ should have enough time for 2-3 more contracts, which would yield greater monetary value...JJ should be here to stay.
Old 01-20-2014   #451
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Quote:
Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL 9h
Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.
No double digit sacks, but some of them have championship rings.
Old 01-20-2014   #452
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
No double digit sacks, but some of them have championship rings.
Team

me
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #453
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BUT.

O'brein fas said that he expects to play in nickle 70 percent of the time. This means Clowney would be playing pass rusher all of that time.
Old 01-20-2014   #454
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one not all that moved by this hire?
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #455
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Here are 10 facts about #Texans new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel: http://bit.ly/1igY0yq
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Catch my one on one interview with Romeo Crennell, the #Texans new defensive coordinator, from the #SeniorBowl on @CSNHouston at 6 pm ct.

"You never know how quickly you can turn a team around." - Romeo Crennel on turning #Texans around after one bad season.

"Well JJ Watt, if we had 10 more like him we'd be pretty good." - Romeo Crennel new #Texans defensive coordinator

Crennel said after sitting down with Bill O'Brien he saw a FB coach & a normal guy. Said BOB has brought some good people with him. #Texans

"I enjoy football and getting back in it and playing the way Bill (O'Brien) wants 2 play will be a good fit for me."Romeo Crennel #Texans DC

Romeo Crennel said he liked the #Texans because "it felt like a good fit". RC added he already knew a lot of people in the organization too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #456
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Hey if he wants to do that, I'm all for it. However, I hope he tells Rick and McNair to pay him 1 dollar next year, and then up his salary for the next 2-3 years. Let the KC franchise waste their money on him, and keep McNair happy.

Suppose he would normally get 1.5m a year over 4 years for a total of 6m. I'd give him $1 in 2014, and $1,999,999.33 for the other 3 years. I think that would be pretty awesome if he's game.
Well, look at that...

Quote:
The Houston Texans agreed to terms Monday on a three-year deal with Romeo Crennel to take over as defensive coordinator.

Crennel was widely believed to be the favorite to become Bill O'Brien's defensive coordinator because of their ties as former New England Patriots assistants, even though the two men had never worked together.

With his $3.5 million salary this season from the final year of his contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, Crennel will earn more than $7 million over the three seasons, according to a league source, including $1.8 million from the Texans in both 2015 and 2016.

Last week, the Texans hired former Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel to be their linebackers coach.

Vrabel played under Crennel but also was Ohio State's defensive line coach. O'Brien was impressed with what he saw from the Buckeyes' linebackers when he served as the Penn State coach for two seasons in the Big Ten, sources said.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ve-coordinator

Looks like Crennel's salary will go like this:
2014: $0
2015: 1.8m
2016: 1.8m

Total 3.6m over 3 years at 1.2 APY. That's very reasonable for a guy with his resume.
Old 01-20-2014   #457
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 382259 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, look at that...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ve-coordinator

Looks like Crennel's salary will go like this:
2014: $0
2015: 1.8m
2016: 1.8m

Total 3.6m over 3 years at 1.2 APY. That's very reasonable for a guy with his resume.
IIRC the Texans did something like that with Sherman.
Old 01-20-2014   #458
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, look at that...
Well, shucks, I was hoping you'd quote the post two before the one you quoted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
...This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset)
Old 01-20-2014   #459
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
Am I the only one not all that moved by this hire?
I can understand your reservations. I'm just gonna take the wait and see approach. Solid hire because of his credentials.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #460
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 11090 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Romeo turned Hali into a OLB. He was 3 rd best DE in 06. Most scouts wrote him off as an OLB, than he met Romeo and the lightbulb went on

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read