Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #21
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Romeo Crennel Hired

So does this mean that clowney is off the texans board? Or could he replace antonio smith at DE in a 3-4? just dont see him as an olb. And i really dont want him anyways
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not enough experience.

Quote:
1970-1974 Western Kentucky(Defensive Line Coach)

1975-1977 Texas Tech(Defensive Assistant)

1978-1979 Ole Miss(Defensive Ends Coach)

1980 Georgia Tech(Defensive Line Coach)

1981-1992 New York Giants
(1981-1989) (Special Teams Coach)
(1990-1992) (Defensive Line Coach)

1993-1996 New England Patriots(Defensive Line Coach)

1997-1999 New York Jets(Defensive Line Coach)

2000 Cleveland Browns(Defensive Coordinator)

2001-2004 New England Patriots(Defensive Coordinator)

2005-2008 Cleveland Browns(Head Coach)

2010-2012 Kansas City Chiefs
(2010-2012) (Defensive Coordinator)
(2011) (Interim Head Coach)
(2012) (Head Coach)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Think "wishy-washy" may be a term of the past?

Fantastic hire.
" It's on me " only pertains to lunch now .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
According to Wikipedia they coached together for two years - 2007 & 2008.

Then Crennel left for the HC position at Cleveland.

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.
No, according to both wiki and pro-football-reference Crennel was HC in Cleveland 2005-8.
Old 01-04-2014   #25
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.
Old 01-04-2014   #26
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.
So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We're gonna draft a true NT, I'm guessing.
Old 01-04-2014   #29
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Had beers once with Chick Harris, friend of a friend, sorry to see he isn't hanging around, sure he'll land on his feet somewhere though.
Old 01-04-2014   #30
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?
He does that now - he is double teamed every play sometime triple teamed.
Old 01-04-2014   #31
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.
Old 01-04-2014   #32
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, according to both wiki and pro-football-reference Crennel was HC in Cleveland 2005-8.
Surprise - wiki has it wrong. Read the list of coaching jobs. It reads as 2005-2008 NE DC.

But when you read the script of coaching career it reads in your favor.

Discrepancy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Crennel
Old 01-04-2014   #33
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to Wikipedia they coached together for two years - 2007 & 2008.

Then Crennel left for the HC position at Cleveland.

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.
Friends, lol

Bottom line is that RAC is a badass.

If my friend is a badass, I'm going to hire him.

(not directing toward you, just threading off your post)
Old 01-04-2014   #34
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll miss Wade, but I think Crennel is a FANTASTIC hire! He did have 3 Championship rings as DC for the NE Patriots.
Old 01-04-2014   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great read.
I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #36
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.
Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.
Old 01-04-2014   #37
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
You're right. Let Watt walk.
Old 01-04-2014   #38
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're right. Let Watt walk.
Trade him for Sanchez!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!
Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.
Old 01-04-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Wow, forgot about what he saw that day...
Quote:
On December 1, 2012, Crennel attempted to prevent the suicide of player Jovan Belcher by talking to him and witnessed his death by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The following day, Crennel coached his team to a 27-21 victory over the Carolina Panthers, the Chiefs' first home victory since defeating the Packers the previous season, and the only other home win during his tenure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read