Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2014   #221
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
SO he is not making the same amount because you must factor that he has to actually work to make the same thing he could make taking a year long vacation. You do the math.
He's already taken a year long vacation from coaching and it's not out of the realm that he may want to coach again. He's already doing the East/West game so it's not as if he's not out there doing his thing as it is.
Old 01-06-2014   #222
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what the tax laws are there, but it might benefit him to be employed by a team from Texas considering we don't have state taxes.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #223
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SO he is not making the same amount because you must factor that he has to actually work to make the same thing he could make taking a year long vacation. You do the math.
Maybe he just wants to coach instead of sitting around with his thumb up his butt? It certainly won't hurt his wallet either way if he decides to coach again this year or not. He probably loves the game of football and maybe even enjoys the camaraderie and competition instead of helping Mrs. Crennel hang drapes in the study.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #224
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
No, he would be making the same amount of money regardless. The Texans will pay him whatever the Chiefs don't.
Yeah, but it's kind of like people on unemployment benefits. Why bother working at minimum wage for 40 hours a week for $250, when you can sit at home and do whatever you want for $200 a week? The incentive isn't really there unless they make it worth his while. And I have a hard time seeing the Texans paying more than 3.5m a year for a DC. Wade was a special case.

The Texans would need to make it worth his while for him to come back, and I don't think they are ready to do that.
Old 01-06-2014   #225
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Jumping off the ship..........some swimming to the Texans?

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 30m
PSU recieved resignations from FB coaches Charles London (RBs) Stan Hioxon(WRs) Anthony Midget (S) S&C coach Craig Fitzgerald per @BobbyFlo7
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #226
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, but it's kind of like people on unemployment benefits. Why bother working at minimum wage for 40 hours a week for $250, when you can sit at home and do whatever you want for $200 a week? The incentive isn't really there unless they make it worth his while. And I have a hard time seeing the Texans paying more than 3.5m a year for a DC. Wade was a special case.

The Texans would need to make it worth his while for him to come back, and I don't think they are ready to do that.
If you know any coaches like I do then you'll know they are crazy people. They love the game. I know quite a few on every level and all they do is talk about football. I don't know anyone that knows Romeo, but I'd guess he misses being in that environment.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #227
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

PSU recieved resignations from FB coaches Charles London (RBs) Stan Hioxon(WRs) Anthony Midget (S) S&C coach Craig Fitzgerald per @BobbyFlo7
That is Anthony Little Person, He does not like to be called Midget....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2014   #228
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I read that too. Most of them have NFL coaching experience

That said, I'm beginning to get a little wary of these rumors of all these PSU coaches potentially coming with Bill
Old 01-06-2014   #229
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very excited we have a new S&C coach. The Texans have had WAY too many injuries in my book. It is a great day to be both a Texas Longhorns and Houston Texans fan.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #230
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The point is he is better off financially to not coach because he's guaranteed $3.5 mil to sit on the couch next year. However, if he goes to the Texans whatever he "earns" there will offset any balance owed by the Chiefs. So essentially, yes, he'd be working for free (which is losing money). Maybe a 66 year old that's spent over 30 years in the league might not want to put his time and effort in for no actual gain, when he can make the same amount doing absolutely nothing.

I kind of doubt many folks view it as being better off financially. Sometimes folks want/need some time off, and Romeo's had that. The fact of the matter is that if he's not ready to retire, and wants to continue his career as an NFL coach, getting a job (albeit an "unpaid" one) right now is probably a better career move than staying on the couch another year, and then seeing what's available in 2015. The better career move is the better financial move (given the previous caveat about not wanting to retire). This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset)
Old 01-06-2014   #231
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

A thought from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Report out of Happy Valley says former PSU DC John Butler will become secondary coach with #Texans.
This HAS to mean that the Crennel hiring is all but a sure thing, right? Would he be hiring defensive position coaches without knowing who his DC is?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #232
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
If you know any coaches like I do then you'll know they are crazy people. They love the game. I know quite a few on every level and all they do is talk about football. I don't know anyone that knows Romeo, but I'd guess he misses being in that environment.
Hey if he wants to do that, I'm all for it. However, I hope he tells Rick and McNair to pay him 1 dollar next year, and then up his salary for the next 2-3 years. Let the KC franchise waste their money on him, and keep McNair happy.

Suppose he would normally get 1.5m a year over 4 years for a total of 6m. I'd give him $1 in 2014, and $1,999,999.33 for the other 3 years. I think that would be pretty awesome if he's game.
Old 01-06-2014   #233
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Agreed. If he loves the game, he'll find a place to work this year. I don't know why anyone would think we have some kind of inside track to his services. Maybe he'll go work with an old collegue, say Marvin Lewis, & help that team get over the hump. Maybe he'll find a way onto the 49ers staff & help them win a Super Bowl.

Maybe he needs to coach the East/West Shrine game to figure out if his heart is even in it.

But if he's the kind of guy who wants to sit on his rump & collect a $3M check, instead of "coaching" do we want that kind of guy?

I can understand taking a year off. He's been through a lot. But when 1 year turns to two. Then two turns into three... he's gone. Nothing wrong with that. At least if I were 66 & just collected $7M, I'm going to have to really think about whether I want to be "working" for someone else.
Old 01-06-2014   #234
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If the Chiefs deduct his salary with the Texans, then I propose salaries of $1 for 2014 and $5M in 2015 or something to that effect so that the Chiefs don't get bailed out. We simply defer salary to the first year past his old Contract. This is the realm of Contract negotiations and ingenuity is at a premium.
Yeah that would be a good thing if we do decide to get him, but with an even lower number than $1m in the first year (if possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
He's already taken a year long vacation from coaching and it's not out of the realm that he may want to coach again. He's already doing the East/West game so it's not as if he's not out there doing his thing as it is.
Yes he has taken a 1 year vacation, and I was was not ruling out that he may want to get back into coaching. So that could defintely be a factor. If so, then we could do something like what Marshall proposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Maybe he just wants to coach instead of sitting around with his thumb up his butt? It certainly won't hurt his wallet either way if he decides to coach again this year or not. He probably loves the game of football and maybe even enjoys the camaraderie and competition instead of helping Mrs. Crennel hang drapes in the study.
That's always a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I kind of doubt many folks view it as being better off financially. Sometimes folks want/need some time off, and Romeo's had that. The fact of the matter is that if he's not ready to retire, and wants to continue his career as an NFL coach, getting a job (albeit an "unpaid" one) right now is probably a better career move than staying on the couch another year, and then seeing what's available in 2015. The better career move is the better financial move (given the previous caveat about not wanting to retire). This is even if you choose to ignore the fact that he'd probably get a minimum of a 3 year contract (O'brien's is supposedly for 5) thereby guaranteeing income for two years more than he's guaranteed if he voluntarily takes another year off. (and FWIW, I don't know if there's NFL rules, or anything else related to the offset that addresses the structuring of coaches contracts, but if not, it could even be written to minimize the impact of the 2014 offset)
Well maybe. But the again we're taking about a 66 year old man who's coached in the NFL for over 30 years. Maybe it's just that time for him. 65 is when folks start collecting SS income ($3.5m sound like a nice SS check). But then again there's that love of the game stuff. We'll see what happens.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #235
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm being told "not so fast"... Crennel & OB don't know each other, did not coach together, and Crennel gets paid for sitting on his butt.

-- Adam Caplan/ESPN NFL Insiders
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #236
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So we're back to "not going to happen."
Old 01-07-2014   #237
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So we're back to "not going to happen."
Back to "Crennel's not talking until after the East/West Shrine Game."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #238
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Doc, bigoted much? I think folks prefer "Short People"!

Old 01-07-2014   #239
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry if im late with this.... But, anybody else catch this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Crennel
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #240
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Sorry if im late with this.... But, anybody else catch this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_Crennel
Its Wikipedia.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read