Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Potential Free Agents

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
As most have pointed out, all the holes can't be fixed via draft. Some of the holes can be fixed through free agency. I'm not talking high dollar,big time free agents, moreso middle of pack guys who are known or on the come up.

I would like to see the texans offer a 4yr deal to either Jason Worlids or Jerry Hughes. I've watched both guys and I think both are on the verge of breaking out. I remember polian saying both are the best benders in the draft. I'm not saying the will lead the nfl in sacks,but both worlids and hughes are seemingly starting to get it. Hughes had 10 sacks and Worlids had 8. Both guys are 25 and are free agents. Buffalo has a ton of money, pittsburgh is bumping the cap and in trouble. Not to mention the steelers drafted jones last yr and woodley is still on the roster. I have a few more,but I don't wanna hog the thread.

I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.

I'm pretty sure it's "Worilds"

TJ Ward is my first pick. I'd be okay grabbing Orakpo or maybe Eugene Monroe if we don't grab a suitable tackle, I don't think Baltimore pays him.

Harbaugh said last week he wants to keep him

how about Rodger Saffold and Austin Howard for the RT position.
Brandon Spikes and lamarr houston could potentially be options all be it expensive ones

T.J. Ward will get a big contract for a safety.

I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.

I still submit that if we want a one year rental at QB Vick is a good choice.

GrossedSNL_zps78c71cbb.gif

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.

GrossedSNL_zps78c71cbb.gif

O'Brien said he wants smart play from his quarterback, not a turnover/injury prone one. I'd rather start a rookie over Vick.

He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.

In my mind the best plan is to draft Bridgewater and sign Vick. Let Vick start until he inevitably gets hurt, and then throw Teddy in there.

Sounds good. Teddy gets to sit on the bench observing Vick and learn what not to do, then eventually he'll get on the field.
5 minutes into game one of his career when Vick gets hurt.

He's also the most polished of the terds available if y'all insist on signing a FA QB.
Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB.
Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

Who is "y'all?" I personally don't think this team needs to have a vet QB on the roster.

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for re-building.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way shape or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.

In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.

I think the Texans will need to pick up a veteran QB to back up any rookie they pick in the draft. If the Texans pick a QB in the first round, obviously they plan to start him. However if the plan is to wait until a later round, the veteran QB may be more heavily leaned upon.

I can't see the Texans going into the 2014 season with Schaub, Yates or Keenum on the roster. Keenum at least would make a little sense, but I can't imagine him giving advice to a rookie QB. "Don't be worried if you see eight defenders up on the line. Hold on to the ball and let a receiver get open."

Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

QB: Henne, McCoy, JMcCown, Cassel
HB: A.Bradshaw, Stephens Howling
TE: SChandler, Pitta, Dickson, BMyers, Kellen Davis, Fred Davis

3-4 DEs/ or DTs for either: Tyson Jackson, Ratliff, Linval Joseph, T. Cody

43 DE/ 34 OLBs: R. Ayers, Shaughnessy, D.Tapp

LBs: DBishop, Witherspoon, Dansby, DJ Williams, Stewart Bradley, Akeem Jordan

CBs: Richard Marshall, Sherrod McManis!!

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)

Okay, here's a list. I'm leaving the OL alone- I haven't paid enough attention the past year or two... Also, I know a number of guys on my list have injury issues- I'm assuming we would kick the tires on them and see if they have anything left (perhaps after our training staff is replaced!):

S: Nate Allen, Mikell, Will Allen, Chris Clemons (I'd love TJWard but surely he'd be very costly)

I like that Fred Davis mention. Dude is ultra talented,runs like the wind and can detach from los. Linvale Joseph is another guy I like on your list. Young guy on the up,can play the nt or the 5 tech. Richard Marshall is a guy who is probably better suited for S than cb now. He's always been a sure handed tackler and can be the nickel cb. Ayers is the true definition of solid.

That's a nice list Dale. If we were to go the veteran QB route and only looking on the list that you have and no one else Cassell is the most intriguing guy I see. There are certainly worse options out there and he has experience with BOB.

Off of that list give me

Cassel/Joseph/Davis

Lol Nate Allen is straight garbage

O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

O'Brien worked wonders with Cassel and he was probably the best of the 3 crappy Minnesota QB's this year. Wouldn't mind signing him and going into camp with...

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

I see O'Brien making a run at Ryan Mallet from the Patriots in a trade. Younger and has a better arm than Cassel. Maybe Cassel comes in as the backup

We only make that move if O'Brien sees Mallett as the QB of the future.

Yup, otherwise this suggestion makes no sense (actually it just makes no sense). The Pats are going to want at least a 3rd and probably a 2nd to give him up. In three years he has 4 passing attempts with 2 completions, 1 to his team and 1 to us.

Worlids is a fa, hughes is not. I really like Worlids the more I watch him on film. Getting a guy like him would push a pick down unless someone like Beasley fell in your lap in the 2nd rd.

I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.

I want no part of Michael Vick on the Texans. I'd rather they start a rookie, back him up with the best of Schaub/Keenum/Yates than bring Vick here.

Yes... bad, bad idea!

Why get a veteran place holder who will win some games, probably, but could not effectively run the offense on schedule... He would stunt the growth and development of all our young WRs, not to mention being a poor QB mentor for a young, athletic QB who needs to develop decision-making, footwork, and timing to succeed in the NFL. Also, he would not be cheap enough to justify cutting Matt Schaub. Schaub would be a very good backup QB for a talented rookie. He is very generous, intelligent, and experienced. I think they should cut him, but only to save significant cap room.

I'd prefer not to trade picks for a QB. If we do that we're making a commitment to that player. We're not making a move like that and then just letting the guy walk.

Absolutely not. Vick is and would be one of the worst QB's to learn from. He is terrible inside the pocket, holds onto the ball to long, and isn't an accurate passer either. Vick is not a guy that I would want to teach my young QB and plus Vick would be doing everything to become the starter. Bob would never bring Vick here with Vick's history of killing animals.

So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.

Y'all just being whoever is advocating for signing a FA QB, whoever it may be.

I think that a rookie QB can benefit from adjusting to the NFL without having the expectations of being the #1 pick placed immediately upon them. I don't like to ever start a rookie QB unless it is clear that it would be bad for the team if the player didn't start, which very may well end up being the case if Bridgewater is the QB we select. I think he is this year's only rookie QB who is ready to start year 1 if necessary.

I want to know the Texans are committed to winning in 2014. To that end I'd like to see them bring in a QB that gives us a chance to win. It doesn't have to be a great chance, just better than a Case/Tj chance.

I want Bridgewater, or whoever to beat out somebody if he's going to start in 2014.

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

So for all those who want to bring in FA QB like Cassel are you thinking Cassel will start and the draft pick will learn? If so how long do you give the draft pick to learn before you start him?

I would prefer to let the draft pick to get time on the bench first. Not sure if we have the luxury.
Cassel is under contract with the Vikes through 2014, but he can void the contract and become a FA in February. He'll make $3.15 million under his current deal. What $$$ would it take to lure Cassel? Knowing that he's only warming the seat for the rookie that will be drafted? It would be a great fit, but Cassel is not a lock to come to Houston.

Cassel/Draft Pick/Keenum

This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.

Not discount guys, But i think Rick needs to figure out a way to grab

Brian Orakpo -OLB WAS

Brandon Spikes - ILB NE

MT. Cody - NT BAL

This is the PERFECT time to get McCown or whatever his name is out of Chicago. Cutler just got a contract that minimixes McCown's chances as a starter there and he proved himself capable in Cutler's absence....putting up excellent stats and winning games. He's young and coachable with experience and would be cheaper than alot of others with starter experience. Then you take your pick from the big 4 in the draft and go.

McCown is not young. He is in his 30s.

He is in the Chad Henne class of QB. Solid back-up, just good enough as a starter to ruin your chances of a high draft pick.

One problem with that assumption is McCown sounds perfectly comfortable with possibly not playing in the NFL next season. For the 34-year-old quarterback, family is more important that his job.

As pointed out, Josh McCown is 34 years old and he says he's not sure if he even wants to play next year. LINK

The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

In the secondary, I like tracy porter, if his health checks out. I also like Huff as a free safety and matchup guy. Alan branch has played well since leaving arizona.

Huff got benched by the Ravens after 1 game and then cut after 7 games...signed with Denver after Rahim Moore went to IR....sits on the bench now....Ravens started a rookie over him and the rookie, Matt Elam, was out of position...

The fact that you would even consider Schaub still being on this team in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

Sanctimonious judgement looks like fun. Let's give it a try...

The fact that you would even consider throwing ice at Schaub and cheering his injuries in any form or fashion pretty much renders all of your future opinions subject to serious scrutiny, if not just outright ridicule.

Yep, that was fun.

He hasn't done squat since he flopped on Dexter McCluster of the Chiefs causing a fumble in the 2010 Playoffs....

Buyer beware....

Hasn't Cody always had conditioning issues too? I remember that was the reason he had to be rotated out.

Oher will probably get offers from other teams for LT, but it would be humorously ironic if he ended up at RT considering that movie title.

The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.

The mention of Schaub in that post was supposed to underscore and emphasize exactly how bad I don't want Michael Vick near the Texans. Bad enough that if I had a choice between signing Vick or keeping Schaub another year I'd rather keep Schaub.

I don't want to keep Schaub.

I would take Vick a million times over, and be forced to start him for the next 5 years, before I would even let Matt Schaub have entry into Reliant Stadium. Just sayin ...

Free Agents I would like to see us look at.

Toby Gerhart....Badboy what do you think?
Donald Brown. I would love him.

Julian Edelman... Perfect fit..
Golden Tate..probrbly going to cost too much.
Tedd Ginn. Speed for the outside and a returner.
Dexter McCluster another good fit...

OT
Oher
Winston temporary fix..

OG
Jon Asamoah
Geoff Swartz

DT
Randy Starks
Jason Hatcher
Ziggy Hood

ILB

Brandon Spikes

These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.

These are the guys that I would be looking at who will not cost a ton of money to sign.

OT-Michael Oher, Eric Winston, Rodger Saffold. There are several other free agents but I think that they will be re-signed. The more I look at the available free agents the more I think we will be drafting a T.

DE - Arthur Jones and Lamarr Houston. These guys could very well be available and I could see us signing one of these guys.

NT - Linval Joseph and Paul Soliai. I could see us spending some money on Joseph and getting a player capable of playing NT on our roster. We could also sign Soliai but I think it is more probable he will be resigned. He would allow us to draft and groom a NT.

OLB-Orakpo & Jason Worilds. I think that Orakpo is going to get a very big contract. I see Worilds as a more realist option.

CB - Chris Harris & Walter Thurmond. Both these guys are quality players who will most likely be available due to the cap situation of the teams they play for.

ILB-Vincent Rey. He is stuck behind Rey Maualuga and would provide an upgrade over Sharpton.

S-Major Wright. There are several studs but they are not going anywhere. I put down Major Wright even though I expect him to re-sign. Not looking to good for the Texans if they are thinking about landing a FS in FA.

Good list. I've always wondered how Kiwinuecka would fare as a 3-4 olb. I'm not sure he's a free agent though.

i don't want anything to do with oher. his on the decline and will get a bigger contract than he deserves due to his hollywood fame.
that being said anything is better the Newton

Linval Joseph fits the profile of a nt. I never knew why the g-men drafted him. 4yrs 12m, 6m. 6m guarantee sounds right.

Totally agree with you here. Those picks are for rebuilding.

I'm okay with Vick on the roster if the Texans draft Bridgewater, but I am definitely not okay with the idea of Vick starting over Bridgewater in any way, shape, or form. There's no better way for a rookie to learn than on the field experience in my opinion.

If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.

I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.

If we invest in a right side line, then let Keenum take the hits like a veteran would while Bridgewater gets coached up, then let the competition begin and have a good young backup waiting in the wings.

What are our chances of winning with Keenum starting? Right now, I'd say slime to none. Slightly better with Tj starting; very slightly.

With Vick, those chances go up; a lot. If we could find a way to get Cassell, we'd still have a higher chance of winning. Freeman... higher chance of winning than with Case.

Even if we draft Bridgewater #1 overall, let him compete with someone better than Case Keenum to win the starting job. That's all I'm saying. Bring in Dan Orlovsky.

I'm almost willing to draft Clowney 1-1, Mettenberger 2-1, OT or OG 3-1 and see how things develope. Even better to trade down and pick up extra picks. But TB1-1 with OT/OG 2-1 works.

I'd like for the Texans to identify who they think the best QB in this class is & develop a plan to get him. If they think it's Mettenberger & that they can get him in the 2nd.... fine.

If they think it's Bortles & they can get him at 5, then they should come up with a plan to do so.

But I would rather they take him at 1 than miss him at 5 & have to take their second/third choice.

Still, if they don't think any of these QBs have a high probability of being a franchise QB, I'd find it hard to believe, but I'd rather they not spend a 1 overall, or a 33 on a QB they have little faith in. Get Boyd, or McArron.

Back