Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2014   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair open to trading No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Sorry Philly lost tonight! But why would St Louis need to trade up? If anything they are the ones who will be trading down. Texans I'm afraid are stuck. They just need to make the best player evaluation & move forward.
Yeah, I think that you are going to be right. However, with the amount of money that early picks "don't" make anymore, then people might be more inclined to trade up since they do't have to pay so much money for an unproven player. All it takes is one team to be in love with some guy like Bridgewater or Clowney. I could easily see a team like the Raiders or the Bills being dumb enough to trade up for a guy like Clowney.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Fair enough. I guess I'll just sit back and watch since no matter how much I peck on these keys the Texans are gonna do what they're going to do obviously. So far I've been excited about what we know for sure and the rumors being floated are not upsetting at all. So far, so good.
There is a possibility the Texans will not draft who we want them to. It's best if we don't fall in love with a player, or the idea that we have to take a particular position at a particular spot.

The goal is to win, in both the short & long term. There are more examples of the best QB in a draft not winning a Super Bowl, than there are of #1 QBs winning them. We need to be smart about this & acknowledge every QB in this draft have pros & cons; reasons they will succeed & reasons they may fail.

I'm not one of those who believe everything the Texans do or will do is correct. But I know they have information & will gather information I don't & won't.
Old 01-04-2014   #63
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
There is a possibility the Texans will not draft who we want them to. It's best if we don't fall in love with a player, or the idea that we have to take a particular position at a particular spot.
Best advice anyone could take. Well said.

Quote:
The goal is to win, in both the short & long term. There are more examples of the best QB in a draft not winning a Super Bowl, than there are of #1 QBs winning them. We need to be smart about this & acknowledge every QB in this draft have pros & cons; reasons they will succeed & reasons they may fail.
That's why I hope that O'Brien takes his time if he has to in order to find this QB. Not a lot of time, but extra if he feels that these guys aren't worth the investment from this draft. It will be very interesting to see how he takes this currently constructed team and transforms it into his own well oiled machine.
Old 01-05-2014   #64
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What do you mean? Did you not see those two games from Hoyer? He was on the way to some major success and was going to easily be a pro bowler. We should definitely target Hoyer and forget about the potential of these rookies.
Yes Tex, I watched those starts by Brian Hoyer. He looked good, no doubt, and hasn't been a total bum since coming into the league as a UDFA in '09. IIRC after he got to Arizona Airens said he'd start the season with his as they were working on the deal for Palmer. I wasn't necessarily pointing at him when I made my tongue-in-cheek "scrub" remark upthread.

But "We should definitely target Hoyer and forget about the potential of these rookies." Fact is he's been serviceable in his backup role for the Pats and Browns but "major success" and "easily a pro bowler."? That's pure ambitious supposition.

My position hasn't changed though. My stance is we need to be harvesting picks, not coming off of em. Hoyer still has a year left on his contract in Cleveland. Unless Lombardi or whoever makes the calls up there wants to package him with a few primo picks to move up to 1-1 then personally, I'm not interested. I don't see that happening.

Regarding your position of "We should definitely target Hoyer and forget about the potential of these rookies", well that just floors me. All I can say is I'm very thankful your not in the position to make that call. I (almost) can't believe you typed that. Definitely spend picks on a UDFA backup with 3 starts since '09 and forget about a high potential face of the franchise QB. That surprises me coming from you.

To each their own.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #65
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I think that you are going to be right. However, with the amount of money that early picks "don't" make anymore, then people might be more inclined to trade up since they do't have to pay so much money for an unproven player. All it takes is one team to be in love with some guy like Bridgewater or Clowney. I could easily see a team like the Raiders or the Bills being dumb enough to trade up for a guy like Clowney.
I can't hear you

All money aside, people are in fear for their jobs, unless you haven't heard. Smart play is to let Joe Blow in this case Texans, make first move then begins process in lock step. Have no idea why history repeats itself over & over it just does. Pretty obvious both St. Louis & Cleveland are smug in there recent moves to add 1st rd. draft picks & hell or high water will not deter their course. Last thing Texans need to do is get cute & miss out addressing a need that has haunted them since inception.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #66
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I can't hear you

All money aside, people are in fear for their jobs, unless you haven't heard. Smart play is to let Joe Blow in this case Texans, make first move then begins process in lock step. Have no idea why history repeats itself over & over it just does. Pretty obvious both St. Louis & Cleveland are smug in there recent moves to add 1st rd. draft picks & hell or high water will not deter their course. Last thing Texans need to do is get cute & miss out addressing a need that has haunted them since inception.
That's my position as well. I know people say there are no "sure" players "worthy" of the 1-1 pick. This is the lot the team has drawn. I'll defer and support whatever decision the brass makes but if we can't find any suitors then we have to pull the trigger on one player or another. Right now I'm leaning toward being in TB's corner but many things can and will change between now and then. I think it's a very exciting time to be a Texan fan. I haven't looked forward to checking the MB each day ever I think. I know things will slow down but it's a whirlwind now and I'm enjoying it. I hope we're finally "on the right track"!

Old 01-05-2014   #67
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not one of those who believe everything the Texans do or will do is correct. But I know they have information & will gather information I don't & won't.
Excellent post. My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-05-2014   #68
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm cool with trading the first pick if either Clowney or Matthews
are still available at our pick in round 1.

Many of the "touted" QB's will still be there at the end of
round 1 and beginning of round 2.

This year has proven to me that, without a doubt, we have a
ton of holes everywhere.

And that doesn't include the question marks posed by the injuries
to Cushing and Foster
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #69
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yes Tex, I watched those starts by Brian Hoyer. He looked good, no doubt, and hasn't been a total bum since coming into the league as a UDFA in '09. IIRC after he got to Arizona Airens said he'd start the season with his as they were working on the deal for Palmer. I wasn't necessarily pointing at him when I made my tongue-in-cheek "scrub" remark upthread.

But "We should definitely target Hoyer and forget about the potential of these rookies." Fact is he's been serviceable in his backup role for the Pats and Browns but "major success" and "easily a pro bowler."? That's pure ambitious supposition.

My position hasn't changed though. My stance is we need to be harvesting picks, not coming off of em. Hoyer still has a year left on his contract in Cleveland. Unless Lombardi or whoever makes the calls up there wants to package him with a few primo picks to move up to 1-1 then personally, I'm not interested. I don't see that happening.

Regarding your position of "We should definitely target Hoyer and forget about the potential of these rookies", well that just floors me. All I can say is I'm very thankful your not in the position to make that call. I (almost) can't believe you typed that. Definitely spend picks on a UDFA backup with 3 starts since '09 and forget about a high potential face of the franchise QB. That surprises me coming from you.

To each their own.
I was totally joking and being sarcastic about Hoyer. Lol!

I am not at all sold on some backup that had two nice games.
Old 01-05-2014   #70
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Non-story. Everything in life is for sale ... everything. With the possible exception of children.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #71
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

ton of holes everywhere.

to Cushing and Foster
Every single player in the draft will be available at 1.1...
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #72
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
I was totally joking and being sarcastic about Hoyer. Lol!

I am not at all sold on some backup that had two nice games.
LOL. You got me. I know that didn't sound like you. Sarcasm smiley already, eh?

Old 01-05-2014   #73
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61655 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said Friday. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."

Hmmm sounds like the first pick (if we stay at #1) is defiantly going to be a QB.
Old 01-06-2014   #74
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it'll be tough to trade out of this pick this year. I don't think teams will trade multiple picks for a player not worthy of the #1 overall. IMO, the top 5 or so isn't very strong. Which is quite fitting considering our luck
Old 01-06-2014   #75
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it'll be tough to trade out of this pick this year. I don't think teams will trade multiple picks for a player not worthy of the #1 overall. IMO, the top 5 or so isn't very strong. Which is quite fitting considering our luck
Even worse is that StL will probably take less to move out of the second spot, and unless somebody is desperately in love with 1 player they can get him then and for less.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #76
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

ton of holes everywhere.

to Cushing and Foster
There's not a position on this team that doesn't need help. Except for maybe the punter.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
There's not a position on this team that doesn't need help. Except for maybe the punter.
Which is why we shouldn't be looking for a "RT". If the situation presents itself for us to draft a LT, or even sign an inepensive FA (a bit of an oxymoron for the position) we should do it. No reason to set the bar at "Duane Brown." The bar should be raised across the board.

If we draft a second rounder better than Kareem Jackson, so be it. We've got other wholes KJ can fill.
Old 01-06-2014   #78
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
oh snap, couldn't help but notice about every player cut off Texans special teams, expect for maybe Demps, have done ok everywhere else (Holliday, Jacoby, Donnie Jones, Shayne Graham) tells me more about Marciano & culture than player(s) specifically.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan.../shayne-graham

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #79
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1623 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Sooo, what it sounds like to me is the first plan is to draft a QB at No. 1.

Teddy, Teddy, Teddy...
I hope so.

This "open to trade" thing makes me think McNair's trying to pick up Manziel and set us up for disappointment.

monkey
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #80
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I hope so.

This "open to trade" thing makes me think McNair's trying to pick up Manziel and set us up for disappointment.
Manziel is the exact opposite of what McNair wants as a player. Teddy is like his wet dream.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read