Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-11-2014   #81
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
LOL at this nugget from Kiper about Locker, "..He didn't have a great final year at Washington coming into the draft..."

No kidding. It was a huge red flag that everybody saw, and yet all the ESPN draft gurus glossed over it as if it didn't mean anything. Now that the writing is on the wall he is going to use that as if it's something he agreed with at the time? Funny.
I still remember when he called Reggie Bush the next Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders packaged into one player. And 4 years later, including 2 Mario Pro-Bowls and 2 Bush injury filled seasons, he still had the balls to say Mario was the wrong pick.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
I think the top 3 QBs will be gone by the 4th pick. And Rams take OT Jake Matthews.

I remember few thinking RG3 would be a high No. 1 pick until he blew away everyone with a magnificent pro day and his stock soared.

It's interesting how many think they have the QBs already ranked when there's so much more to go in the scouting process.

Gil Brandt on Manziel: "He's like Tarkenton. Only better." Uh, Gil, Fran Tarkenton is in the Hall of Fame. "I know. And I mean what I say."

Gil Brandt, who's been scouting in the NFL since 1959 with Cowboys, has J Football as No. 1 prospect in the draft. He loves Manziel.

I'm still amazed to read and hear so many nationally predicting the Texans won't take a QB with their first-round pick. It'll be a QB!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #83
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to come around to Gil Brandt's way of thinking .... of those three QB's , give me Manziel .... with Bridgewater as my second option.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #84
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'm beginning to come around to Gil Brandt's way of thinking .... of those three QB's , give me Manziel .... with Bridgewater as my second option.
Manziel is going to get his narrow little azz broken in 2 sometime very shortly after he arrives to the NFL if he keeps playing the brand of ball he did in college.
He's not 250 like Cam or Luck or Ben and just won't hold up to that kind of pounding and therefor will need to learn to play in the pocket. And Manziel as a pocket passer just ain't no Johhny Football.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #85
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Manziel is going to get his narrow little azz broken in 2 sometime very shortly after he arrives to the NFL if he keeps playing the brand of ball he did in college.
He's not 250 like Cam or Luck or Ben and just won't hold up to that kind of pounding and therefor will need to learn to play in the pocket. And Manziel as a pocket passer just ain't no Johhny Football.
How many big hits did he take at A&M?
Old 02-01-2014   #86
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
I'm still amazed to read and hear so many nationally predicting the Texans won't take a QB with their first-round pick. It'll be a QB!

Too many comparatively graded QBs in this draft. I think a number of these guys taken in the second or later are going to end up having very nice NFL careers. Mettenberger, McCarren, Murray, even Garrapulo if no one takes him in the first.
Old 02-01-2014   #87
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I didn't see that many games but of the ones I saw he got banged up real good a couple times, and that includes the bowl game against Duke. He was hurting and had to leave the field. He is just not a big guy and will need to significantly modify his game when he arrives in the NFL.
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2014   #88
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Enough for his biggest supporters to blame all of his issues on injuries he suffered during the season and that the only reason he was even playing in those games was because he was so tough and competitive.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #89
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Too many comparatively graded QBs in this draft. I think a number of these guys taken in the second or later are going to end up having very nice NFL careers. Mettenberger, McCarren, Murray, even Garrapulo if no one takes him in the first.
Yea I don't think there's that much difference between these guys and the so-called first tier including Manziel & Bridgwater.
And is John McClain that close to the people running the Texans so he would haveinfo on their Draft plans ? I doubt if they've even completed their prelim evaluation of potential #1 picks at this point ?
Old 02-01-2014   #90
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Quote:
Yea I don't think there's that much difference between these guys and the so-called first tier including Manziel & Bridgwater.
And is John McClain that close to the people running the Texans so he would haveinfo on their Draft plans ? I doubt if they've even completed their prelim evaluation of potential #1 picks at this point ?
Well once the draft is done y'all are going to find the NFL disagrees with your assessment that there isn't much difference.

No McClain doesn't have great inside info into the Texans unless things have changed under OB, but even a blind walrus can see a 1st round QB is a 90% chance.
Old 02-01-2014   #91
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well once the draft is done y'all are going to find the NFL disagrees with your assessment that there isn't much difference.

No McClain doesn't have great inside info into the Texans unless things have changed under OB, but even a blind walrus can see a 1st round QB is a 90% chance.
I'm only seeing marginal differences between Manziel & Bridgewater & Bartles vs
Carr & Garoppolo & Fales. We will see what BOB & RS see ? Perhaps you are right, or maybe not ? It's very early in the process.
Old 02-01-2014   #92
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's very early in the process.
No, it is very late in the process. It is only early in the frenetic draftnik season. The process began when the players hit their college campuses. The players have finished their play time and college careers. The only thing left for them is the underwear olympics.
Old 02-01-2014   #93
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, it is very late in the process. It is only early in the frenetic draftnik season. The process began when the players hit their college campuses. The players have finished their play time and college careers. The only thing left for them is the underwear olympics.
Agreed. The #1 tool for scouting prospects is their film, which is complete.

You use combines and workouts to verify what you saw on tape, not the other way around.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #94
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, it is very late in the process.
I'm referring to the Texans' player evaluation process in preparation of their
Draft Board.
Old 02-01-2014   #95
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Draft Board.
BOB: Alright guys, who do we have at QB?

Staff: Case Keenum, Matt Schaub, and TJ Yates

BOB: OK, who is the best QB available in this year's draft?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #96
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Agreed. The #1 tool for scouting prospects is their film, which is complete.

You use combines and workouts to verify what you saw on tape, not the other way around.
Well of course the film is there, the most recent college football season was completed months ago. But O'brien has just in recent days completed assembling his new staff, so they've had scant time to complete their process and conclude their player assessments, rankings, etc.
Old 02-01-2014   #97
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Draft Board.
These guys don't sit around picking their noses all year long waiting for January and a truckload of film to arrive:

Mike Maccagnan - Director of College Scouting
Bob Beers - College Scout
Ryan Cavanaugh - College Scout
Rob Kisiel - College Scout
Mike Martin - College Scout
Bob Merritt - College Scout
Nathan Trott - College Scout
Old 02-01-2014   #98
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These guys don't sit around picking their noses all year long waiting for January and a truckload of film to arrive:

beerlover - steward of College Scouting

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #99
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm not sure who's still there and who's gone among the Texans' college scouting department after BOBs coup of that staff which left several in managerial positions in the unemployment line, but I know last year these guys were scouting personnel on their assumption that they'd play in Kubiak's WCO/ZBS and Wade Phillips 3-4, and obviously that's all changed.
But in any case scouts accumulate data and recommend, they aren't decision makers. We got a long ways to go here.
Old 02-01-2014   #100
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post

I don't remember ever seeing him take one of these. Manziel is very good at avoiding big hits. He was used as a runner at A&M a lot. That won't be the cSe in the pro's. He will be just fine in the pros.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read