Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2014   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

As for 76's main point in this thread .... Moving out of #1 while stockpiling future picks is a viable alternative , especially should you feel that none of the QB's in this draft class are guys that will end up in the discussion of the top handful at their position in the future , guys able to carry a franchise.

I'm still undecided on what to do (trade or spend) with the #1 pick or who to take with that pick as I think each player being considered has warts that would give me pause in picking them at 1:1.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #42
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Take the player who will have the biggest impact. If that's Clowney I'm down. That means he answered all the questions the righ way and the. Laches believe they can coach him up. I believe having Watt and Cushing and even Swearinger will keep Clowney in line. It's exciting to even think about.

If we decide to take one of the QB's I'm fine with that too.
Old 01-05-2014   #43
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Take the player who will have the biggest impact. If that's Clowney I'm down. That means he answered all the questions the righ way and the. Laches believe they can coach him up. I believe having Watt and Cushing and even Swearinger will keep Clowney in line. It's exciting to even think about.

If we decide to take one of the QB's I'm fine with that too.
Watching that chiefs colts game is the reason u take the top qb over the other top position players if the grades for each prospects are in the same ball park.

As good as Houston and Hali were rushing the passer all year, Luck basically made them non factors by working the pocket, getting the ball out fast, and running when he had too.

Simply put, very good qb play trumps exceptional pass rushing and pretty much everything else. So while everyone is getting amped at the thought of Watt and Clowney on the same d-line rushing the passer, take heed of what happened saturday. KC's secondary got exposed once the pressure of houston and hali was nuetralized.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #44
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Watching that chiefs colts game is the reason u take the top qb over the other top position players if the grades for each prospects are in the same ball park.

As good as Houston and Hali were rushing the passer all year, Luck basically made them non factors by working the pocket, getting the ball out fast, and running when he had too.

Simply put, very good qb play trumps exceptional pass rushing and pretty much everything else. So while everyone is getting amped at the thought of Watt and Clowney on the same d-line rushing the passer, take heed of what happened saturday. KC's secondary got exposed once the pressure of houston and hali was nuetralized.
That is dead on, MSR. I would go with the top QB if our new HC sees one that he deems worthy of the 1st pick. O'Brien worked wonders with Matt McGloin at Penn State so I am eager to see what he could do with a Bridgewater or Bortles. IMO once he watches the Louisville vs Miami game and gets Bridgewater on the dry erase board it will be game shot match. QB driven league.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #45
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35038 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Bronco's have a pathetic OL .... Riddled with injury. Manning just makes them appear serviceable because of how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands.

A better comparison might be Carolina taking two DL early in last years draft giving them a dominant defense while Cam Newton is playing at a level similar to last year but getting most of the credit for the W's generated by that defense.
But then he has game winning drives every week. He has played better than last year.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #46
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Two problems with that assessment:

1 - There isn't a Luck/Newton-type prospect, especially with Hundley going back to school

2 - The Chiefs loss had far more to do with them losing several Pro-Bowlers throughout the course of the game, particularly Brandon Flowers whose loss allowed TY Hilton to blow up later in the game

If anything, Luck got, well, lucky. He threw three turnovers (even the third one that was weird was throw behind the receiver and allowed it to become jumbled in the first place) and his rushing touchdown was a freak play not unlike Watt's forced-fumble-into-Patriots-TD from last year.

If anything, watching Alex Smith out-play Luck made me more open to installing the Pistol and drafting a guy like Manziel.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post

1 - There isn't a Luck/Newton-type prospect, especially with Hundley going back to school

2 - The Chiefs loss had far more to do with them losing several Pro-Bowlers throughout the course of the game, particularly Brandon Flowers whose loss allowed TY Hilton to blow up later in the game

If anything, Luck got, well, lucky. He threw three turnovers (even the third one that was weird was throw behind the receiver and allowed it to become jumbled in the first place) and his rushing touchdown was a freak play not unlike Watt's forced-fumble-into-Patriots-TD from last year.

If anything, watching Alex Smith out-play Luck made me more open to installing the Pistol and drafting a guy like Manziel.
You beat me to it.
Old 01-06-2014   #48
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't hoping to get a QB with the first pick, until I saw this list....

QB's alive in the playoffs:
Luck, Rivers, Brady, P. Manning, Kaepernik, Newton, Brees, Wilson

Regarding any post season aspirations I may have that list is pretty telling.
Old 01-06-2014   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not even close sir... Luck's defense had already given up 24 pts before he threw his 1st int....At that point, they were just trying to avoid getting blown out by putting at least 3 on the board before half time in their 2 minute offense. And based on how they'd played up to that point in the game, there really wasn't any reason to believe they'd be able to come back.

If his defense is able to keep it close in the 1st half & he has some semblance of a run game, i doubt he's even throwing as much as he had to for him to throw the last 2 picks he did throw.

But it's not even about his numbers per se..it's about his ability to mentally block out the bad plays, bounce back and continue to lead his team to a comeback.

Furthermore, the chiefs won games this year by pressuring the qb & Luck nuetralized their greatest strength on defense by playing damn near flawless down the stretch in the 4th qtr. Yes, the brandon flowers injury helped, but not all the plays he was making came at the expense of Flowers' replacement. It was the complete package. The decision making, the pocket presence, the awareness, the accuracy, the leadership & the smarts to attack a weakness. Besides, Brandon Flowers wasn't making that big of a difference, the play he got hurt on was a TD catch and run by Donald Brown i believe; the comeback was in full swing at that point.

You saw the full repertoire on display saturday in that game with him. It honestly made me mad b/c by the 4th qtr, Alex Smith was helpless once Indy's defense turned up the heat on him while Luck seemed to make the right decision every single play when KC tried to ramp it up on him.

& while most believe there isn't a Luck type prospect in this draft, his performance represents why the qb prospect always trumps other position prospects.......IF THE GRADES FOR EACH PROSPECT ARE CLOSE. & lets be real Clowney as a prospect isn't going to be rated that much higher than Bridgewater if everything holds as it is now.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #50
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=mussop;2279276]even Swearinger will keep Clowney in line.
QUOTE]

I don't know, there were times during the season where DJ could barely keep himself in line on the field. BUT I do love his aggressiveness, which sadly does not seem to really vibe with todays NFL.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Thanks man and I repped this post as well. I really just can't believe someone who's a Texans fan could have watched us play this year and not see that we need a QB.

Yes, we need a RT and a few picks on defense. But, my god, people are saying we should trade a pick for a scrub back-up like Mallett or sign some journeyman QB while we have a #1 overall in a pretty good QB draft class. When I see someone talk about how good the high school QB's are looking I just want to slam my head into a wall. I just don't know what to think anymore, I'm glad that there seems to be more rational posters here than crazy people.
They need a QB in the worst way.

Just not TB.

Give me Mallett/Mettenberger/Smith
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #52
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mallet/Mettenberger/Smith
What is a mediocre collection of QBs?

Are we playing jeopardy?
Old 01-07-2014   #53
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
What is a mediocre collection of QBs?

Are we playing jeopardy?
Mettenberger is probably a first-round pick if not for his injury, which is why people have been pushing for him as our second pick after Clowney.
Old 01-07-2014   #54
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mettenberger is probably a first-round pick if not for his injury, which is why people have been pushing for him as our second pick after Clowney.
Who's pushing for Clowney ??! I know of many more who don't want him than do ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #55
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Who's pushing for Clowney ??! I know of many more who don't want him than do ....
I'm personally leaning towards Clowney in the first to improve Watt's effectiveness and make the defense that much better. Picking Clowney would also be good, however, just slightly less effective overall.
Old 01-07-2014   #56
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
But then he has game winning drives every week. He has played better than last year.
He has the opportunity to play better because the line is giving him more time. I suspect the same would happen with last years QBs and without improvement in the line play, the same 'poor QB' play will result regardless of the new QB savior. Both can make the other look better, but both are required for optimal results.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #57
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm personally leaning towards Clowney in the first to improve Watt's effectiveness and make the defense that much better. Picking Clowney would also be good, however, just slightly less effective overall.
You've been saying this a lot, but I think if your evaluations come up with Manziel or Teddy B as being the best fit and a good to great player as well you gotta take one of those two over the defensive stud.

If the QB sucks, he doesn't have that much in the way of getting a new one (because hey if your QB sucks then you're going to be back in the top 5 or 10 of the draft pretty soon) contract wise and the Texans do have a gigantic hole at the position. I think Clowney could be a great one, but we have Watt who is on the way to becoming great himself, and if one of the top QB's turn into great players I'd much rather have Watt on a team with a great QB than another great DE.
Old 01-07-2014   #58
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& while most believe there isn't a Luck type prospect in this draft, his performance represents why the qb prospect always trumps other position prospects.......IF THE GRADES FOR EACH PROSPECT ARE CLOSE. & lets be real Clowney as a prospect isn't going to be rated that much higher than Bridgewater if everything holds as it is now.
And I'll add: If at all.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

My buddy text me after that game stating "This is why you move heaven and earth to find a franchise elite QB." I've stated it many times as well. Playoff games come down to last minute drives, and great QB's have to come alive. The great ones do more than not in those situations. When you look at a lot of the franchises that have struggled over the years around the league it is mainly the ones that have not had a real good QB in a really long time. The Dolphins, Bills, Vikings, Raiders, Jags, Cardinals, and etc. You could add the Texans to this list as well considering that we made two playoff runs in 12 years and had just a few good years from Schaub. Teams with great QB's usually stay towards the top half of the league on a more consistent basis.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

My buddy text me after that game stating "This is why you move heaven and earth to find a franchise elite QB." I've stated it many times as well. Playoff games come down to last minute drives, and great QB's have to come alive. The great ones do more than not in those situations. When you look at a lot of the franchises that have struggled over the years around the league it is mainly the ones that have not had a real good QB in a really long time. The Dolphins, Bills, Vikings, Raiders, Jags, Cardinals, and etc. You could add the Texans to this list as well considering that we made two playoff runs in 12 years and had just a few good years from Schaub. Teams with great QB's usually stay towards the top half of the league on a more consistent basis.
The Texans could trade away this entire draft class for future picks if they want to move heaven and earth.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read