Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2014   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
This is insane. I heard this first grader down the street has an absolute CANNON for an arm. I am holding off on drafting a QB until he is eligible. Unless his younger brother looks better. Kid is only 1 week old, but nobody lays in a crib like this kid. Future HOF GOAT AINEC.
Haha, Martin who wanted old man Weeden!
That's what instant gratification gives you my friend.
(For those who don't know, I like Martin as part of the three amigos in the draft section for quite a long time now .)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Take Teddy B. now and hope we have our 10 year stud QB.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

This trenches vs. QB stuff is really starting to get ridiculous.

I get it, some of you don't like the QB's this year and that's fine. But trenches don't win championships in the NFL. QB's do. We can't just sit around building up the "trenches" forever waiting for "that QB" to come along before we pull the trigger. Do you want to be the Cleveland Browns? They have one of the best OL and front-seven's in the league. How's that working out?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #24
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

I get it, some of you don't like the QB's this year and that's fine. But trenches don't win championships in the NFL. QB's do. We can't just sit around building up the "trenches" forever waiting for "that QB" to come along before we pull the trigger. Do you want to be the Cleveland Browns? They have one of the best OL and front-seven's in the league. How's that working out?
Ask Matt Ryan or Eli Manning.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #25
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Haha, Martin who wanted old man Weeden!
That's what instant gratification gives you my friend.
(For those who don't know, I like Martin as part of the three amigos in the draft section for quite a long time now .)
When did I say I wanted Weedon? That does not ring a bell. Seriously, if you have a link I would appreciate it. I will be doing some searches myself.

Honestly, I don't think you can pass on a good QB just because a guy later might be better. It is the shiny new toy syndrome- every future class looks better than the current one.

I have to watch more film on Bridgewater. I have not scouted much this year, and while I like what I have read about him, I am not completely sold yet.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
#Texans owner Bob McNair said he's open to trading out of the No. 1 overall pick http://ow.ly/sfxpV
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Rick Smith not opposed to trading down. "We’ll get a good player or we’ll move and get good value for the pick and improve our football team."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Ask Matt Ryan.
The same Matt Ryan who went to the NFC Championship game last year? Their offense was decimated by injuries this year and they lost their best DL in FA and their other best to injury.

That team was awful when he got there. They went QB first and then built the roster around him. The problem is they did not do an adequate job building up the trenches after they found their QB (1 OL and 1 DL drafted in the first 2 rounds since they drafted Ryan).

However, before this year when it all fell apart, they went 56-24 the previous 5 years. I'm sure Ryan had a lot more to do with that than Sam Baker.

- The Immortal Bo
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014   #28
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Ask Matt Ryan or Eli Manning.
LOL both of those guys were drafted top 3. Both teams drafted their QB and then built up the roster around them. You are not helping your case here at all.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-03-2014   #29
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The same Matt Ryan who went to the NFC Championship game last year? Their offense was decimated by injuries this year and they lost their best DL in FA and their other best to injury.

That team was awful when he got there. They went QB first and then built the roster around him. The problem is they did not do an adequate job building up the trenches after they found their QB (1 OL and 1 DL drafted in the first 2 rounds since they drafted Ryan).

However, before this year when it all fell apart, they went 56-24 the previous 5 years. I'm sure Ryan had a lot more to do with that than Sam Baker.
Quote:
LOL both of those guys were drafted top 3. Both teams drafted their QB and then built up the roster around them. You are not helping your case here at all.
and both are bottom 10 teams because of .......their trenches
Old 01-03-2014   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What's more is that Ryan was viewed kinda in the same way as Bridgewater is now when he was coming out...people were unsure about his arm strength and wondered if he was worth the #1 pick at the time....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #31
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
What's more is that Ryan was viewed kinda in the same way as Bridgewater is now when he was coming out...people were unsure about his arm strength and wondered if he was worth the #1 pick at the time....
I've seen people compare him to Ryan and Rodgers. Neither guy wowed you with his physical skill set, but their mental acumen for the game put them at another level.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-03-2014   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah but if we can get that kid we will have an elite QB for probably like 12 years.
This cannot be understated. Scouting now a day is done to the utmost (if you're a smart franchise.)

As a franchise, you're limited by the cap.
The smart franchise looks elsewhere to spend the money.
Leave no we stone unturned.
Cultivate your rapport with these possible prospects.

Be ahead of the trend
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #33
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

To the question in the OP:

If you think there is a franchise QB in the draft, take him at 1-1.
If you think there is no franchise QB, attempt to trade down.
If you can't trade down, take BPA. I don't have a clear cut BPA at this point.

Between Clowney and Mathews:
Clowney: highest ceiling, lowest floor
Mathews: lowest ceiling, highest floor (I think)

I guess it depends on if you want to swing as hard as you can for the fence, or shorten up your swing and try to hit a line drive for a base hit.

F-it, I'd probably swing for the fence.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #34
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
MY knock on Ryan was he threw a lot of INTs. I think his TD to INT ratio was than 2 to 1.
Old 01-03-2014   #35
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This cannot be understated. Scouting now a day is done to the utmost (if you're a smart franchise.)

As a franchise, you're limited by the cap.
The smart franchise looks elsewhere to spend the money.
Leave no we stone unturned.
Cultivate your rapport with these possible prospects.

Be ahead of the trend
But that is no use, if you can`t get the QB you want. We probably won`t get a top 5 pick in the next 3 years if we don`t trade away major pieces to go in full rebuild mode. Other teams scout as well, and if there is a QB we like, chances are other teams do so as well. If there is another Luck, it will be basically impossible to get him. That is why looking for your QB in the future is so risky - not only can they turn out as a bust, you also only have a very slim chance to grab them.

Of course the Texans shouldn`t draft Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles if they don`t think they could turn into franchise QBs - but if they do, they shouldn`t look elsewhere just because they like one of next years QBs better.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #36
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
To the question in the OP:

If you think there is a franchise QB in the draft, take him at 1-1.
If you think there is no franchise QB, attempt to trade down.
If you can't trade down, take BPA. I don't have a clear cut BPA at this point.

Between Clowney and Mathews:
Clowney: highest ceiling, lowest floor
Mathews: lowest ceiling, highest floor (I think)

I guess it depends on if you want to swing as hard as you can for the fence, or shorten up your swing and try to hit a line drive for a base hit.

F-it, I'd probably swing for the fence.
I'm in that mode too.

I'm happy to go big or go home in this draft, take a few punts on potential and talent.

Can't make things any worse right?
Old 01-03-2014   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Niners and the broncos were building their trenches (by that I mean both sides of the ball) before Manning and Kaepernick.
The Bronco's have a pathetic OL .... Riddled with injury. Manning just makes them appear serviceable because of how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands.

A better comparison might be Carolina taking two DL early in last years draft giving them a dominant defense while Cam Newton is playing at a level similar to last year but getting most of the credit for the W's generated by that defense.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #38
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 14620 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A Great Foundation without a pretty house is of little use, but a pretty house without a strong foundation doesn't stay that way very long.

We only want a strong foundation so that the pretty house can be around a while and not go the way of past pretty houses.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #39
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 74437 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Bronco's have a pathetic OL .... Riddled with injury. Manning just makes them appear serviceable because of how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands.

A better comparison might be Carolina taking two DL early in last years draft giving them a dominant defense while Cam Newton is playing at a level similar to last year but getting most of the credit for the W's generated by that defense.
But then all one would have to do is point out that Cam Newton was a #1 overall pick, proving you can't win with complete garbage at QB and that every team in the playoffs is there with a QB taken high in the draft (besides NE of course.)
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
But then all one would have to do is point out that Cam Newton was a #1 overall pick, proving you can't win with complete garbage at QB and that every team in the playoffs is there with a QB taken high in the draft (besides NE of course.)
But .... Newton has been garbage at QB , not Matt Schaub / Case Keenum garbage but garbage none the less , at least when compared to the rest of the playoff QB's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read