Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-01-2014   #1
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Connor Shaw

Would like to hear your opinion on him and if he is a draft-able prospect. Seems like a winner to me and apparently has been putting in quite a bit of work to impress. Thanks.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Shaw

He's a more athletic version of Colt McCoy. I've got him as a 4th round prospect. He has a future as a NFL backup. Not sure he has the arm you want for a starting QB. He's tough, athletic, accurate, and takes care of the ball.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub and the rest of the team had a good year and we'd made it to the Divisional or AFCCG I'd be all for drafting Shaw as a developmental prospect. He's got grit and talent, but he's certainly not the guy we need for a franchise that just went 2-14 and has the #1 pick.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #4
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaw struck me as very underrated (a friend of mine is a SCAR fan and student, so I would watch their games), though in the scant few times I watched his tape he seemed to never take a snap under center. Would love him as a late-round pick up to develop behind a starter (whether drafted or signed in FA).
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Do not like. When I watched a few games of his (2012) he was running (very athletic) on virtually every play. I did not like him as a passer. Seems like there are better options late in the draft or potential UDFA that would be better prospects than Shaw.

You guys want him? Wait until the 6th.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #6
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is a loser. I see less than 2% chance of him making it in the NFL. He's a bad backup at best.

He's been surrounded by incredible talent on both sides of the ball and just wasted it year after year because he was obsessed with tucking and running. He is a poor game manager. He is a poor man's Russell Wilson, and will probably not be on a team as good as the Seahawks.

I would draft a sure fire special teams player in the 5th than waste a pick on him.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #7
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
This guy is a loser
That certainly sounds like being extremely judgmental, I wonder if - oh wait, TexansFTW.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
Would like to hear your opinion on him and if he is a draft-able prospect. Seems like a winner to me and apparently has been putting in quite a bit of work to impress. Thanks.
Connor Shaw may be the best dark horse, under the radar player in this draft.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This guy is a loser. I see less than 2% chance of him making it in the NFL. He's a bad backup at best.

He's been surrounded by incredible talent on both sides of the ball and just wasted it year after year because he was obsessed with tucking and running. He is a poor game manager. He is a poor man's Russell Wilson, and will probably not be on a team as good as the Seahawks.

I would draft a sure fire special teams player in the 5th than waste a pick on him.
Incredible talent like .......................................... ?

You can't mean Ace Saunders or Marcus Latimore ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #10
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

shaw is nothing special. basically an average college qb. did nothing at sc to impress.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #11
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Incredible talent like .......................................... ?

You can't mean Ace Saunders or Marcus Latimore ?
You should google South Carolina's recent draft classes.

Alshon Jeffery can also thank him for making him a day 2 prospect, even though I told everyone the Texans better draft his A! (humble brag)
Old 02-05-2014   #12
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:

Alshon Jeffery can also thank him for making him a day 2 prospect, even though I told everyone the Texans better draft his A! (humble brag)
Woah, is this a joke? Jeffery fell because people overreacted to concerns about his weight/motivation (sounds like anyone we know?) when anyone who watched the tape knew he had talent. As for his production, it probably slipped because he had this guy throwing to him at first:

Shaw was a marked improvement, and they went on to do stuff like this later. Fun fact: Jeffery started a fight with a defensive back a lá Andre vs. Innegan after halftime and got kicked out of the game. He only had 148 receiving yards at that point.

The idea that Jeffery was a day 2 prospect because of Shaw's play is a joke, much like your analysis.
Old 02-05-2014   #13
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Woah, is this a joke? Jeffery fell because people overreacted to concerns about his weight/motivation (sounds like anyone we know?) when anyone who watched the tape knew he had talent. As for his production, it probably slipped because he had this guy throwing to him at first:

Shaw was a marked improvement, and they went on to do stuff like this later. Fun fact: Jeffery started a fight with a defensive back a lá Andre vs. Innegan after halftime and got kicked out of the game. He only had 148 receiving yards at that point.

The idea that Jeffery was a day 2 prospect because of Shaw's play is a joke, much like your analysis.
Good job showing me a hail mary play and telling me Connor Shaw is a quality QB.

It's so weird that Alshon Jeffery was a 1500 yard WR under Garcia then only a 700 yard WR (400 under Shaw the majority of the season) during the next year. So weird that if you take away the games under Shaw against the 2 worst teams they faced that year he didn't have one single game over 30 yards in the reg season.

Oh yeah, and 1/8th of his yards under Shaw came under that one Hail Mary.

He was rumored to be a top 5 pick the year before Shaw took over full time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-round-pick-2/

There were questions about his speed (separation) and production, but then he ran a 4.48 during pro days? Why was he still a day 2 pick? Production?? I'm sure you can dig up an article saying that he doesn't play hard and motivation cause any idiot can write an article, but the real problem was his sorry QB who would rather run for 5 yards and punting instead of throwing for the first down.

He looks like he should have been a day 1 prospect to me so far though (where I had him being drafted by the Texans, humble brag).

Who am I to second guess the great BHSMAN though? You swing your D around in every thread picking fights with everyone trying to prove you're the toughest guy on the internet. Thanks for rudely trying to educate me though, appreciate it boss.
Old 02-05-2014   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we try giving opinions and breaking down players without mud slinging and insulting eachother? I dont recall the draft threads being so rude in years past. Must be what a 2-14 season does to its fans...
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #15
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Can we try giving opinions and breaking down players without mud slinging and insulting eachother? I dont recall the draft threads being so rude in years past. Must be what a 2-14 season does to its fans...
I'll just ignore in the future. That was my fault, sorry. Dude is chasing me around threads though.
Old 02-05-2014   #16
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Who am I to second guess the great BHSMAN though? You swing your D around in every thread picking fights with everyone trying to prove you're the toughest guy on the internet. Thanks for rudely trying to educate me though, appreciate it boss.
I put as much effort into my posts (or more, considering I at least make a modest attempt to back my accusations up) rather than just go "This guy is a LOSER!" and then **** all over my keyboard. Literally or figurative, whatever you're in to.

And no, Jeffery fell because an injury kept him from participating in the Combine and people thought he had weight/motivation concerns. If you're going to act like you know anything, at least do some basic research.

Quote:
I'll just ignore in the future. That was my fault, sorry. Dude is chasing me around threads though.
Maybe if you didn't spout unsupported crap at a moment's notice, things would be different.
Old 02-05-2014   #17
bhsman
All Pro

For the record, I've no problem with people criticizing any player - be it Shaw, Mettenberger, Manziel, Teddy, Clowney, and so on. Shaw isn't without his flaws: he's shorter than what most people would like to see in a QB, the offense at SCAR meant he didn't spend a lot of time under center, he throws a B-E-A-U-Tiful deep ball but I have questions about his arm strength and whether he comes across as a Keenum-esque player. He's probably a late 4th-round prospect at best, and that's being very charitable.

Those are all good criticisms. What is NOT is just saying some player is a 'loser' or 'has too much hood in him' 'he doesn't care about football' or even something as ridiculous as 'This guy is the reason Alshon Jeffery was a day 2 pick' and without ANYTHING to back it up. The first few are just lazy, the latter is just ridiculous. Back it up with film (which reminds me to go check that guy's post from the Clowney thread) or something other than your average Skip Bayless 'intangibles' bull****, and then don't get pissy when I point it out. Jeez.
Old 02-06-2014   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jeffery was fat that's what happened to him . Now Google all the teams SC played and see who they sent to the pros . Most of SC's playes getting picked seem to be on defense .

Round Dan
Old 02-06-2014   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Yup ... folks act like Rick Smith is on the board or that their opinion is 100% correct and they have the track record to prove it . I guess we could go back and look at some of the old TT mock drafts and see who was actually picked .

Round Dan
Old 02-06-2014   #20
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yup ... folks act like Rick Smith is on the board or that their opinion is 100% correct and they have the track record to prove it . I guess we could go back and look at some of the old TT mock drafts and see who was actually picked .
A reasonable post and a fun idea.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read