Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2014   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Austin Jenkins TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I value TE differently than most. I prefer guys that can block just as well as they can catch. Guys like Ebron and Amaro are awesome but I like Niklas and Fiedorowicz the most in this class.

You can be more multiple on offense with those guys because they can play on the line of scrimmage. They block like a third OT and they are athletic enough to get open in the middle of the field.
I think the same way. I know Austin isn't known for great blocking but I could see him becoming really good at it with his size. Niklas and Fiedorowicz are also favorites of mine.
Old 02-24-2014   #22
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Would you put Arthur Lynch in with that group?

Seems like another guy who can add value as a blocker and still be a reliable target to get those 1sts.
He fits that style. I wouldn't lump him in that group in talent though.

Lynch would be a great fit as a #2 TE for a team that has an athletic Amaro-type as their #1.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #23
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think the same way. I know Austin isn't known for great blocking but I could see him becoming really good at it with his size. Niklas and Fiedorowicz are also favorites of mine.
ASJ was recruited by Texas as an OT so he definitely has the potential for it. I like him but don't love him.
Old 02-24-2014   #24
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He fits that style. I wouldn't lump him in that group in talent though.

Lynch would be a great fit as a #2 TE for a team that has an athletic Amaro-type as their #1.
yeah, definitely a tier down.

You would rather pair an athlete and a blocker rather than go with two from a similiar mold.

If we keep Daniels, would you rather the athlete type or the in line type?
Old 02-24-2014   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
yeah, definitely a tier down.

You would rather pair an athlete and a blocker rather than go with two from a similiar mold.

If we keep Daniels, would you rather the athlete type or the in line type?
I'd rather get an in line type in this draft.

Daniels - receiver
Fiedorowicz - blocker/receiver
Griffin - blocker/receiver

Looks real good to me.
Old 02-25-2014   #26
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather get an in line type in this draft.

Daniels - receiver
Fiedorowicz - blocker/receiver
Griffin - blocker/receiver

Looks real good to me.
blocking is not that important for TE. if his adequate at blocking its a bonus. would much rather have a guy who is an elite receiving threat than get a guy who is a decent receiver but elite blocker
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
blocking is not that important for TE. if his adequate at blocking its a bonus. would much rather have a guy who is an elite receiving threat than get a guy who is a decent receiver but elite blocker
Depends on what you want out of your offense. If you want an all out passing attack like the Saints then yes it's not important. You can just use the guy like a slot WR.

If you want to be multiple like I do then it's pretty important. If O'Brien is going to use the same offensive philosophy he learned with the Patriots (which we have no way of knowing for sure yet) then he will value guys who are scheme diverse and can do multiple things. A TE that can block and catch has to be accounted for in the running game and passing game, where as a TE who can't only has to be accounted for in the passing game.

The more multiple you are on offense, the simpler the defense has to make their scheme, thus making it easier for you to take advantage of matchups.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect we will go Patriot two TEs, one Y that needs to be a good blocker and another "move" TE that I could see OD as. We'll know for sure if we nab Fiedorwicz/Niklas or similar in the draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #29
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I expect we will go Patriot two TEs, one Y that needs to be a good blocker and another "move" TE that I could see OD as. We'll know for sure if we nab Fiedorwicz/Niklas or similar in the draft.
I would love that. I love two TE sets. That would be the base of my offense. I don't know what the Patriots vernacular is but your Gronk-type would be your Y and your Hernandez-type would be your H.

A guy I love in this draft as a H-Back is Trey Millard. He's a more talented version of James Casey. You can play him at RB, FB, HB, and TE.

As far as what we have right now, Daniels and Graham could both play the H. Griffin could play the Y.
Old 02-25-2014   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love that. I love two TE sets. That would be the base of my offense. I don't know what the Patriots vernacular is but your Gronk-type would be your Y and your Hernandez-type would be your H.

A guy I love in this draft as a H-Back is Trey Millard. He's a more talented version of James Casey. You can play him at RB, FB, HB, and TE.
It's the "Y"(in line) and the "move". Yeah I love that concept.

I'll chase down some of his tape, thanks.
Old 02-25-2014   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Depends on what you want out of your offense. If you want an all out passing attack like the Saints then yes it's not important. You can just use the guy like a slot WR.

If you want to be multiple like I do then it's pretty important. If O'Brien is going to use the same offensive philosophy he learned with the Patriots (which we have no way of knowing for sure yet) then he will value guys who are scheme diverse and can do multiple things. A TE that can block and catch has to be accounted for in the running game and passing game, where as a TE who can't only has to be accounted for in the passing game.

The more multiple you are on offense, the simpler the defense has to make their scheme, thus making it easier for you to take advantage of matchups.
That's fine but blocking for TEs like pass protection for RBs is something which is often virtually disregarded in college and which can be improved greatly in the NFL. There is no need to view TEs coming out of college as finished products on blocking. (And no need to keep reading their college reviews ten years later and repeating they aren't go blockers when they have improved greatly, but that's another matter).
Old 02-25-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jenkins/Nicklas are the most well rounded TE's in this class. IMHO

But you have to spend a 2nd to get them. Pass, cant fix all that's wrong with the Texans in one yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's fine but blocking for TEs like pass protection for RBs is something which is often virtually disregarded in college and which can be improved greatly in the NFL. There is no need to view TEs coming out of college as finished products on blocking. (And no need to keep reading their college reviews ten years later and repeating they aren't go blockers when they have improved greatly, but that's another matter).
I agree with that. On the flip side, Fiedorowicz wasn't used nearly enough as a receiver at Iowa and will surely get better at it in the pros.

As for the bolded, I agree. Not sure why it was included, actually.
Old 02-25-2014   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As for the bolded, I agree. Not sure why it was included, actually.
Just a by extension extra. Doesn't just apply to TEs but is particularly acute on blocking. JMO but 5 years down the road you often still hear things being said about players as if someone is still reading off their prospect profile when their play in the NFL has obviously improved in that area. Dude will go three years without a drop and some knucklehead will chime in with "wish he didn't have a problem with drops" because that was the knock coming out of college. Pet peeve.
Old 02-25-2014   #35
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I completely agree with you in terms of being scheme diverse but i think you can still do that with receiving TEs over having one or two that are good blockers.
Defences will still need to respect the pass thus removing one player from playing the run.

Also infantrycak explains a good point that i left out, which is teaching these kids to block up to an average level isn't to difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I guess its a matter of opinion but i would rather get the prospect with the better receiving skills than blocking skills at TE. (to sum it up quickly)
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #36
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously this hurts his stock.

How much? Do you think he can be had at the end of the 2nd now?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

2014 NFL Draft: Seferian-Jenkins opts for surgery now
Quote:
The expected recovery is approximately eight weeks, which makes it unlikely he'll be able to participate in Washington's Pro Day, April 2.

Those close to Seferian-Jenkins weren't willing to count out the possibility of a later workout should he prove a quick healer.

The 2014 NFL Draft kicks off Thursday, May 8, just under 10 weeks from now...
Old 02-28-2014   #38
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Still my 2-1 pick.
Old 02-28-2014   #39
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Still my 2-1 pick.
I wouldn't complain. Odds look better now too.
Old 04-17-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Quote:
Univ. of Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins said his fractured foot has completely healed & his recovery is 2 weeks ahead of schedule

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read