Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should Wade Phillips be retained as Texans Defensive Coordinator?
Yes. 28 22.76%
No. 95 77.24%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2014   #61
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator

Voted no for a couple of reasons:

1. Im ready for a change as far as defensive scheme
2. Bill O'Brien should be able to choose who he wants
3. Wade's defense has to many deficiencies that aren't made up from the strong areas
4. no turnovers and low sack totals from our OLB position doesn't work for me seeing as how they blitz 75% of the time.

Ready for a new system.
Old 01-02-2014   #62
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted no. Wade's D was decent between the 20's but similar to Kubiak's O, he sucked when it mattered most - 66.67% red zone scoring defense. Last in the league.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ne-scoring-pct
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #63
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thank Wade for coming home and making the defense relevant again. Despite the regression this year, they are obviously the superior unit. That said, we knew his track record coming in. He comes in and turns around bad defenses, but they slowly regress as the years go on. His tenure here bears that out. It's time to move on.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #64
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Can him. The defense is outdated and Wade can't deal. Dallas already figured this out with Kiffin.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #65
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I find some of the comments here regarding Wade and the lack of appreciation for his work here to be disgusting. If it weren't for Wade, we very likely could've been challenging the Saints for the longest stretch before the first playoff berth.

If you don't think he should defensive coordinator because you think the scheme is outdated, fine. Wade as a person is not, and it's shameful how people are suddenly speaking of him. Show some damn respect.

You know what, I was thinking it was time for Wade to go, but after seeing some of the comments from the first page of this thread, I hope he comes back. The chip that's being put on the shoulders of him and all the defensive players is something I certainly wouldn't bet against. Put me down as an empathic "YES."

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #66
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
I find some of the comments here regarding Wade and the lack of appreciation for his work here to be disgusting. If it weren't for Wade, we very likely could've been challenging the Saints for the longest stretch before the first playoff berth.

If you don't think he should defensive coordinator because you think the scheme is outdated, fine. Wade as a person is not, and it's shameful how people are suddenly speaking of him. Show some damn respect.

You know what, I was thinking it was time for Wade to go, but after seeing some of the comments from the first page of this thread, I hope he comes back. The chip that's being put on the shoulders of him and all the defensive players is something I certainly wouldn't bet against. Put me down as an empathic "YES."

Dude, relax. For starters everyone who has been watching knows that he turned the defense around drastically. If you are happy with the lack of turnovers and lack of pass rush then that's fine but don't act like he has done an outstanding job over the past two years. Year one was awesome but is a "what have you done for me lately?" Kind of league.

When you steadily digress over the course of two seasons as a coordinator, it's typically time to start looking in other directions. Kubiak had 8 seasons to figure it out which we can all agree was too long. He had it extended by wades defense.

Don't take it as a personal attack on you because it's not.

Wade is old. That is fact. His defensive scheme is not working. That is fact. Did we have a good "yards per game" ranking? Sure we did. We were 2-14 so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-02-2014   #67
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post

Mrs. Phillips, we all appreciate your husbands defense in year one and kinda liked it in year 2 even though Tom Brady ripped it to shreds. But this last year your husband not only fielded a pathetic defense but he also was a terrible head coach. Good luck to your family Mrs. Phillips, as you can see, most of us want y'all gone but hold no ill will to you.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2014   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's defensive philosophy: 3-4..........same look virtually every play (forced man)..........against every team ............just hand them your playbook.

O'Brien's defensive philosophy: 4-3..........mix it up...........multiple looks.........confuse them.

Here's a very telling look into our new coach's thoughts on defense from a piece taken from a may 2012 PennLive article:
Quote:
He’s known for his offensive mind and specifically his work with quarterbacks. But that doesn’t mean Penn State head coach Bill O’Brien doesn’t spend a lot of time thinking about and working alongside defensive coordinator John Butler.

“I have a definitive defensive philosophy,” O’Brien said earlier this week. “I think No. 1 is we have to be able to stop the run.”

Minutes later he added: “You can’t just sit in one coverage in one front all day. You’re going to get abused.”

Butler, who is in his first season as coordinator after the departure of Ted Roof, worked with the defensive backs and special teams last season. Butler said several times since he was promoted this winter that the core principles of Penn State's defense won’t change. Sure there will be new wrinkles, ones fans couldn’t see in the final spring practice, but come September they’ll be there.

O’Brien, a former defensive end and linebacker at Brown who likes to say his coaching skills surpass his playing skills, said he saw defensive improvements at the conclusion of spring practice. He even shed some light on specifically what he wants tightened up by the time camp opens this August.

“We have to be a multiple defense,” O’Brien said. “I bring an offensive perspective to the team so the hardest defenses I’ve ever called plays against were defenses that were very multiple. They went from an even front to an odd front, from an overloaded front, to zone pressure. [They went] from a man blitz to dropping eight and rushing three.

“They kept it moving on the quarterbacks. That was big. Stopping the run and keeping the picture different is big for me.”

O’Brien’s in-season routine of watching tape of the opposing team’s offense on Sunday and Monday will remain the same. He’ll then discuss with Butler what he believes are four or five keys to the game and then O’Brien takes those same keys and stands in front of the entire team and relays the message.

Of course the final call on all game plans comes from O’Brien, but he said he operates knowing that he’s on the same page with the assistants he put in place.

“I don’t really look for a safety net,” O’Brien said. “I look more for this is what I believe in, this is why I’m hiring you or this is why I’m promoting you and making sure we believe in the same things.

“We had a productive spring being multiple. I thought we were tough to go against, gave the quarterback different pictures and I think John Butler is doing a very good job.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The Jaguars averaged 14.4 ppg before they played us the first time.

We allowed them 28 points then & 27 the second time.

I voted no, because I couldn't find hell no.

I was on board with bringing him to Houston. I was excited. I enjoyed every minute of that 2011 season, & pumped the sunshine throughout the 2012.

But it played out exactly the way everyone said it would. They were right. I was wrong. I'm ready to move on.
Old 01-03-2014   #70
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Wade's defensive philosophy: 3-4..........same look virtually every play (forced man)..........against every team ............just hand them your playbook.

O'Brien's defensive philosophy: 4-3..........mix it up...........multiple looks.........confuse them.
Implementing a diametrically opposed philosophy after after a 2 win season sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 01-03-2014   #71
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all in for changing things up...I do believe bringing Wade in was the reason we were finally able to make the playoffs, and so I thank him for that. That said, I think it's time for a change at def. coordinator...despite our yardage rankings, anyone could clearly see we've regressed quite a bit from two years ago. Even when we had Cushing and Manning earlier in the year, we weren't nearly the unit we were in 2011.

My question is, how easy would it be to go to a 4-3 with the personnel we have? I assume one of the starting OLBs could drop down to a defensive end, since their main job now is to rush the passer anyway. But would those guys be undersized for DE? That's why drafting Clowney is an interesting prospect for me, despite the negatives about him. He seems to be a freak of nature, and pairing him with JJ as the other DE could be a nightmare for opposing offenses. Since I have very little knowledge regarding defensive philosophy, though, I'd appreciate any comments or corrections. Thanks.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Here's a very telling look into our new coach's thoughts on defense from a piece taken from a may 2012 PennLive article:
link
This is exactly what I've been hearing/reading about O'Brien.

Wade's scheme and style is diametrically opposite of what O'Brien believes in. They would be so incompatible that it's not even an option to keep Wade.

O'Brien likes to confuse the other team, constantly changing, adapting, and adjusting to exploit the opponent's weakness(es). He does not believe in doing one thing good and just winning by executing better than the other team. His M.O. is to constantly be fluid and dynamic, not stubborn and static. Reminds me of this quote:

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
~ Bruce Lee
Old 01-03-2014   #73
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Wade's scheme and style is diametrically opposite of what O'Brien believes in. They would be so incompatible that it's not even an option to keep Wade.

O'Brien likes to confuse the other team, constantly changing, adapting, and adjusting to exploit the opponent's weakness(es). He does not believe in doing one thing good and just winning by executing better than the other team. His M.O. is to constantly be fluid and dynamic, not stubborn and static. Reminds me of this quote:

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
~ Bruce Lee
That's a great Bruce Lee quote, I quoted it to my 5 year old son the other day, lol
Old 01-04-2014   #74
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

~ Bruce Lee
I live my life by that quote.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #75
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

~ Bruce Lee
tried to rep you my friend for Bruce quote, used it also for Teddy B.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #76
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

In some dimension somewhere, Gronk and Hernandez are still running free and burning our defense.

Thanks for that great first year Wade. It was phenomenal. It really was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #77
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Somewhere BOB is reading this thread and saying "I made your decision for you bitches!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #78
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
In addition to Cushing's way too oft injuries, what about Mannings' injury? Didn't JJo go down on IR?

Maybe it's not about the defensive scheme, maybe it's about depth.

Maybe it's about the front office. Maybe it's about the FO signing ridiculous contracts hamstringing the depth. I'm serious when I say having to rely on Shilo Keo as a safety and Brice McCain as a serious contribution to our secondary says more about the FO than it does the DC.
Bill!!

(I figured some old school posters would get a laugh)
Old 01-08-2014   #79
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade gave us what we desperately needed; but, he didn't withstand and overcome all the problems this year. I wanted to keep him as DC, but it's true that his D's have faltered before and this time he doesn't get promoted as a result. I really don't see our 2-14 record as mostly his fault, but he did screw up enough to lose his job. You want to keep your job in the NFL, you gotta keep performing.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read