Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should Wade Phillips be retained as Texans Defensive Coordinator?
Yes. 28 22.76%
No. 95 77.24%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 392068 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator

Wade Phillips would like to remain with Texans as defensive coordinator
Quote:
Reached in Dallas where he spent New Year’s Eve with family members, Phillips said Smith “let me know they hired Bill O’Brien. We’re all supposed to come in next week and see what our status is.”

Phillips, whose contract runs through the 2014 season, said he’d like to remain with the Texans as defensive coordinator. However, he admitted the fact that he doesn’t know O’Brien doesn’t favor his chances.

“I don’t know what they’re feeling is, not knowing the guy,” he said. “Usually when somebody gets a job and you don’t know anything, you’re probably not involved. But I don’t know that for a fact...”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator

Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.
Old 01-01-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for memories and have a good life, bye.
Old 01-01-2014   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

hey wade...come here, bruh, let me holla at you for a sec....

GTFOHWTS!
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #5
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16278 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so tired of seeing our CB's chase WRs. So long, Pillsbury.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #6
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.
Yep .... it is getting grandpa to find a movie off netflix via the computer to the bigscreen .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you really going to start venting on the guy that brought us JJ Watt and two years of really good defense?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #9
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks but no thanks wade.
Old 01-01-2014   #10
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that Wade never made adjustments when offenses adjusted to him sealed his fate. I respect this guy so much, but its time to move on.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.
Yeah they were awful & couldn't force any turnovers.

Thing is they were still "statistically" #7 in total defense & #3 in pass defense .... despite the loss of Cushing & Manning and the Ed Reed debacle as well as the NFL record for fewest TO's forced in a season.

To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year .... that turnover record was an anomaly and was a big part of their failures. They just didn't have many balls bounce their way.

They were actually pretty good on 3rd down percentages .... 35% which was good for 8th in the NFL.
That pathetic excuse for an offense sure didn't do them any favors either ....

The one thing that does bother me is the high volume of long scoring drives they gave up. Part of that was losing Cushing early in the season. When you take away a guy that talented from any defense they are going to suffer.

You look at the play of the DB's especially Jackson and J.Jo .... they more often than not had good coverage / position and just didn't come away with enough plays made. McCain was pathetic ....

Its not likely this team is playoff bound next year unless they pull off a miracle and find a solution to the QB spot , Im not against Wade being given the year to fix what was broken defensively.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs
So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.
Old 01-01-2014   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 392068 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year ....
It would certainly be the "odd couple" personality wise. Not sure if that would make for a good balance or a clash.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.
So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #16
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.
Never said his system was worthless. I said he failed to make adjustments in game. And I wouldn't say we shut Manning down. We had to sweat it out to win that one game. I really can't think of any ELITE QB that we ever shut down. Brees lit us up, Rodgers lit us up, Manning lit us up twice, Brady lit us up three times.

Were there moments in those games when the defense was ok? Sure, but like I said they eventually made adjustments to what we were doing on defense and we had no answer.

Look, I understand what you're saying but there were just too many big games for me where the defense struggled. I wouldn't be throwing stuff if he was brought back, but I just think its time to move on.
Old 01-01-2014   #17
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #18
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.
I'll do you one better...... I bet A&M would kill to have him coaching them up after watching that defense this year.
Old 01-01-2014   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Just say no to Wade. You don't clean house and leave the steaming pile of garbage in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you people are ridiculous!!!

His defense doesn't work without guys like, hmmmmm, Oh I dunno Brian Cushing, a safety named Daniel Manning and / or a corner named Jonathan Joseph...

What the defense needs, is depth. Not a new coordinator. Hopefully, new HC Bill O'Brien recognizes that and gives the defense some draft choices. After all, O'Brien is an offensive guy, and yes, we need a QB. That said, let's get some depth at LB. Let's DEFINITELY get depth in the secondary.

Me personally, I would be okay if he stayed on board.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read