Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2014   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 2014 Preview - CBS EYE-on-Footall

Link
Quote:
Ridiculously Premature Prediction for 2014

There's enough talent on offense, minus a quarterback, and enough available assets for this team that a bounceback looks completely conceivable. The Texans play in perhaps the weakest division in the NFL and O'Brien should be able to fix the offense quickly. Romeo Crennel's been real bad as a head coach, but he's had success as a defensive coordinator. It's not a stretch to see the Texans returning to a 2012-level-ish of success if they can put some pieces around Watt.

Expecting double-digit wins is out of the question but that should apply to just about every team in the league at this time of year. It's much harder to win 10 games in the NFL than people would like to think. I want to be optimistic given the changes but getting burned by 2013 holds me back until we see who they've got under center.

Predicted Record: 8-8
My sentiments exactly. And I will also add, until I see who O'Brien trots out there as his offensive line.

If this article has been posted elsewhere, feel free to delete this thread or move this post where it belongs.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 Preview - CBS EYE-on-Footall

this team does not have has much Superstars or talent up and down the roster has people on the outside think bottom line right now we are not that talent does not mean we cant be just have younger guys step up

and 8-8 man I hope that's the high mark

I was thinking me like 5-11 6-10
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #3
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm guessing 8-8 but it's too early for a firm prediction, until we see the draft and the free agent market.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
this team does not have has much Superstars or talent up and down the roster has people on the outside think bottom line right now we are not that talent does not mean we cant be just have younger guys step up
You thought AJ was washed up 4 years ago and continue to harp on it. Sorry, don't trust your talent evaluation.
Old 02-18-2014   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire quoted paragraph is useless observation.

They are good, but not bad. I think they can turn it around. The wear blue. And like hot weather.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going with 15 and 1 personally...........
Old 02-18-2014   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You thought AJ was washed up 4 years ago and continue to harp on it. Sorry, don't trust your talent evaluation.
I didn't say that I think other NFL players were saying hes a glorfied Physical SLot reciver will get u those 4 to 6 yard chain movers

kinda like anquin Boldin
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2014   #8
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see 8 wins out of this roster at all. Rick Smith is still picking players.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I didn't say that I think other NFL players were saying hes a glorfied Physical SLot reciver will get u those 4 to 6 yard chain movers

kinda like anquin Boldin
Who?

FYI - in a year without a QB AJ was 12.9 ypr. His last 2 years he had more receptions over 20 yards than any other stretch of his career.

Wanna try again?
Old 02-18-2014   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
The entire quoted paragraph is useless observation.

They are good, but not bad. I think they can turn it around. The wear blue. And like hot weather.
Where does it say anything about weather or color preferences?
Old 02-18-2014   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

All you guys are downers, i am expecting 10-14 wins, and an AFC championship game apperance. And then Houstons first ever Lombardi Trophy !!! Yeah that is my expectations
Old 02-18-2014   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

I won't predict anything without a QB and RT. As a general matter I think we should have a larger than normal bounce back. 6 wins would be a sign something went wrong.
Old 02-18-2014   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
All you guys are downers, i am expecting 10-14 wins, and an AFC championship game apperance. And then Houstons first ever Lombardi Trophy !!! Yeah that is my expectations
We're either going to be the third team in a row to go from 2-14 to double digit wins, or we're going to be the first team in three seasons who couldn't pull it off.
Old 02-18-2014   #14
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Completely depends on who's gonna be under center.
Old 02-18-2014   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
I don't believe that. I know we look at these other teams with "great" QBs & we're totally envious.

But we looked pretty good with Matt Schaub for a good while there. Maybe we never got to the Super Bowl with him, but neither did the Lions with Stafford, or Atlanta with Ryan... & they only recently won a play-off game, granted they got to the NFC Championship game, but that success disappeared as quickly as ours did.

I still believe had he not broke his foot, we'd have been in the Super Bowl in 2011, on the back of Arian Foster & that young, hungry defense.

Don't get me wrong, if OB feels that Bridgewater is a franchise QB, I hope like hell we get him. But if we can't run the ball..... if our defense don't contribute to wins... we'll be Dallas, or St. Louis, or Detroit, or San Diego, or Arizona, or last year's Steelers.

It's still a team game.
Old 02-18-2014   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Well first thing we need is to have a QB who doesn't lose games for us, and then we can advance from there.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Well first thing we need is to have a QB who doesn't lose games for us, and then we can advance from there.
And the way to that objective is to fix the damned O-line. The way I see it, that's a root cause issue. No matter which QB you draft, he'll need time to throw. Even if Foster comes back 100%, if there isn't solid blocking in front of him, his effectiveness will be limited. Even if you draft Clowney to bolster the defense, they ("they" being Clowney and Watt) will wear down in the second half of games because our offense cannot stay on the field and keep them (relatively) fresh.

Success begins in the trenches boys and girls. There's no way around that in my mind.

I can see drafting Clowney at 1-1 and the best OT on the board at 2-1 and THEN drafting a QB. But address the issues in the trenches first.
Old 02-19-2014   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I can see drafting Clowney at 1-1 and the best OT on the board at 2-1 and THEN drafting a QB. But address the issues in the trenches first.
I wouldn't mind best OT in the first, & best OG in the 2nd. Quessenberry was Kubiak's project & Newton was his illegitimate child. I wouldn't saddle myself with them if I were the new coach.
Old 02-19-2014   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't mind best OT in the first, & best OG in the 2nd. Quessenberry was Kubiak's project & Newton was his illegitimate child. I wouldn't saddle myself with them if I were the new coach.
I can subscribe to this path.
Bottom line: Fix the damned O-line and bolster the front 7 on D.
And THEN if you wanna go QB shopping, have at it.

Past SB's (Seattle v. Peyton, Giants v. Brady just to point out a couple) have shown me that having the best QB in the league might not get it done against a solid, determined defense.
just my

did I mention there's no QB in this draft that projects to be anywhere near as prolific as those two guys.
Old 02-19-2014   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

QB.

The end.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read