Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-31-2013   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WolverineFan/BL 2014 Texan Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I am a little surprised to not see an OLB and to see an ILB so late - I thought those were our biggest needs on defense (with D-Line a close second).

And it will be interesting to see, how the new coaches value our OT picks from last season. We have two guys with at least some upside that didn`t see the field this season. I totally agree, that RT was a big weakness last season, but if we don`t want to draft one with the first 2 picks this season, we might decide to stick with the ones we drafted last season or go the FA route.
Your right but these are positions/needs we believe Texans will target through free agency, only so many picks to address multiple holes. We concentrated on retooling trenches, identifying a franchise QB then adding some weapons back in mix after losing Ben Tate, possibly Owen Daniels. That being said Sharpton looked best of our LB's season end I hope they keep him. Also Brooks maybe moved inside. Zumwalt can also play OLB then you have 4th rd. pick from last year coming back Trevardo Williams. Top FA LB's include Washington Brian Orakpo, Giants Keith Rivers, would love to steal one back from Philadelphia, Nate Allen S, Brandon Spikes New England, Frank Zombo Kansas City, Daryl Smith Baltimore. So they will have options once they clean books to address concerns. Thanks

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish I could give a better eval, but I did not watch much college ball this year. Looks good to me though, even if I am on the fence about Bridgewater. I especially like the Lyerla pick- low risk that late, and a very high reward.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I wish I could give a better eval, but I did not watch much college ball this year. Looks good to me though, even if I am on the fence about Bridgewater. I especially like the Lyerla pick- low risk that late, and a very high reward.
Thanks 65, best wishes & have a great 2014

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-31-2013   #24
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96712 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I am a little surprised to not see an OLB and to see an ILB so late - I thought those were our biggest needs on defense (with D-Line a close second).

And it will be interesting to see, how the new coaches value our OT picks from last season. We have two guys with at least some upside that didn`t see the field this season. I totally agree, that RT was a big weakness last season, but if we don`t want to draft one with the first 2 picks this season, we might decide to stick with the ones we drafted last season or go the FA route.
We talked about OLB and other pass rushers, but Donald was too good to pass up. D-Line seems like the bigger priority if Smith leaves in FA.

As for RT, you can find good players in the 3rd-4th round. Moses, despite being a 3rd round pick, would be the most talented OT on our roster not named Duane Brown. RT doesn't need to be addressed in the top 2 picks because the OT class is deep this year with quality players.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96712 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Only position pick I am not sold on is RB.

Starting to think you can get by on UDFA and FA retreads, especially with a decent scheme and OLine.
I understand what you mean, but Kubiak is one of the few coaches that has relied on retreads or undrafted guys. Most teams are drafting RB's in the mid-to-late rounds and slowly bringing them along.

I really like Andrews and, if we hire O'Brien, he would be a perfect fit for his offense. He loves to get the ball to the RB and Andrews is great in the passing game.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
- Texans have solidified the #1 selection (unexpectedly) in the 2014 draft & are in process of replacing Head Coach Gary Kubiak with Bill O'Brian (hopefully) who developed Tom Brady in New England among other accomplishments which should ease some worry's about developing a young QB into what this city so desperately needs a franchise QB, above all other Football needs. This is WolverineFan along with yours truly attempt to presume we know something about this years upcoming draft & the prospects who shall fill it. We hope you enjoy our work, as always its a fluid process, but we've identified key components to upgrade QB, OL, DL/pass rush, secondary, LB & RB depth, w/exception of flyer on Colt (plus value & O'Brian prizes big, athletic TE's) are Texan worthy!

1) Teddy Bridgewater - QB, Louisville (6-3, 205)

- Texans fans have been unduly tested over the years when it comes to QB position, so we respect and understand any skepticism directed at prospects for position. However we have both come to consensus that Teddy garners the highest draft grade in his class (assuming he declares for the NFL Draft) beyond any shadow of doubt. He possess the total package of skills needed to become a franchise QB. Both his mind and arm as well as his cool demeanor under stress. He is above a 70% completion average guy that is both accurate and precise in his timing of routes. He gives his receivers the ability to run after catch without breaking stride or putting them in harms way. With 31 TD's to 4 int's in 2013, he is a pocket passer with excellent awareness and athletic ability to move and extend plays. He can play in any system and is one of the few to play in a pro style offense taking snaps under center. There will be many articles written about him now to the end of draft process and QB is the Texans #1 need, so suffice to say, this will assure them of the opportunity to either address this need or use Teddy Bridgewater stock value to trade down and stockpile picks. We are not here to suggest what will happen only that Teddy offers Texans the chance to turnaround this franchise into a winner.

2) Aaron Donald - DT, Pittsburgh (6-0, 285)

- Texans really need to bolster the pass rush in this draft. It starts here. With Antonio Smith set to leave in FA, re-sign Mitchell as the NT or bring in a FA and draft Donald to play Ninja’s DE spot. Donald is a quick, penetrating interior lineman that has experience playing in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He would be an ideal fit in Wade’s one-gap penetrating front because of his ability to get off explosively and be disruptive at the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. His lack of size is the reason he will drop in the draft, but in a one-gap system where he won’t have to face many double teams, he could be a very disruptive force. 10 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss as a senior and 28.5 sacks and 64.0 tackles for loss in his career. Lots of talk about addressing OLB or NT here, but we feel adding a versatile pass rusher up front is more beneficial. We wouldn’t draft Donald if a new HC moves to a more traditional 3-4, but to make things simple, this mock is done on the premise that the defense remains the same.

3) Morgan Moses - OT, Virginia (6-6, 335)

- OT is the most obvious need on this team outside of QB. With QB addressed already, it’s time to find a RT. Moses is a 4-year starter with 43 career starts under his belt, with the majority of those coming at RT. He played LT as a senior and could have a future there with some development. A massive human being at 6-6, 335 lbs. He is a mauler in the run game who plays with a mean streak and will drive guys off the ball. Great when blocking on the edge or pulling to the outside. If he locks you up when driving it is over. He is also an underrated pass protector. Good technique and good hand use. Has a strong anchor, but needs to work on his flexibility because he tends to play high sometimes. Does a great job of using his length when pass protecting and has great feet when sliding. More athletic than you would expect from a guy his size, but needs to drop a little bit of weight to maximize his athleticism. Should be a quality option to start at RT from day one.

4) Jonathan Dowling - S, Western Kentucky (6-3, 200)

- Texans need depth in the secondary and a possible replacement for Danieal Manning. Dowling is a former Florida recruit. Transferred to WKU after his freshman year. 2-year starter and 2-time 1st Team All-Sun Belt selection. A big hitter who excels in zone coverage. Has good instincts and does a great job of reading the QB and anticipating the throw. Aggressive in the box and does a good job of staying off blocks and maintaining leverage. At 6-3, 200 lbs he has the size to matchup with TE’s and the athleticism to cover WR’s. Because of his instincts, range, and closing speed he has potential as a FS in the NFL. He could be groomed as Manning’s replacement at FS with Swearinger locking down the job at SS. In 2 years at WKU he had 135 tackles, 9 interceptions, 14 pass deflections, and 8 forced fumbles.

5a) Antonio Andrews - RB, Western Kentucky (6-0, 215)

- Productive and capable feature back to replace Ben Tate. Develop under Foster until ready to take over. Very durable. Rushed for 3463 yards and scored 27 TD's the last two seasons. Can also return kicks and play special teams. Well built, compact with good balance and low center of gravity. Downhill runner with great vision that breaks a lot of tackles. Very good receiver and is dangerous after the catch. Three down back that has starting potential as a pro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiI9NSFijf0

5b) (compensatory selection based off FA losses) Colt Lyerla - TE, Oregon (6-5, 245)

- 2nd/3rd round talent. Dropped because of drug charges (possession of cocaine), will serve his time (10 days), and be required to complete drug program. After which he will be training in Nevada with Dwight Ross of Performance Athletics in Nevada. Lyerla started 12 games for the Ducks in his career, catching 34 passes for 565 yards and 12 touchdowns. Effective blocker despite his size, but also has the frame to put on more weight. Very effective receiver downfield and in the middle of the field. Only started one year and is pretty raw as a true TE because of spread offense. Has tons of NFL potential for team willing to take the risk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WmPZZ3TWI

6) Brandon Thomas - OG, Clemson (6-3, 315)

- Adding multiple quality O-Lineman prospects should be a priority this year and should help bolster trenches. Thomas is a gig, nasty plug 'n play OG with Tackle experience. Has started 35 consecutive games. Was a 1st Team All-ACC selection by coaches in 2013 and in 2012 by media. Played LT against Jadeveon Clowney and held his own. Could become a terrific LG at next level even possibly filling in swing tackle role if needed.

7) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB, UCLA (6-3, 240)

- Tough, physical player. Typical of a late round pick who will compete to make an NFL roster. He has good instincts and can find the ball. Coached under Jim Mora. When initially blocked, his motor will wear down anything technically unsound to beat his man and slip blocks. Finds his way to fill at the point and make plays. In pass coverage, he has a good drop and shows awareness in zone. Will have to earn his way through outstanding special teams play. Will get stronger in the NFL and add some bulk, but still should test well at the combine for his group.
1. Know my opinion 2. Concerned about him against run & more importantly how he does against OL. Ninja I believe was averaging 3 tackles/game so not hard to replace despite my positive feelings about him. Think I'd rather chance Crick with a lower pick like Hart backing & maybe cheap FA. 3. Moses is definitely a mauler & would be well suited to a power O. I'm not sure I agree on being under rated in pass protection. IMO, if we retain ZBS he does not start until mid season IF then. I like JaWuan James way more in either O system. 4 & 5 A are good choices although I stopped reviewing W. K. after I went different route on ILB Jackson. 5b How do you convince Bob to take a cocaine abuser? A rehab and "sorry" will not do it. I would not take risk and don't think peer pressure will help Colt. Future washout.

Brandon Thomas is an excellent pick but I'm feeling him going a round earlier. Good work guys and I enjoyed the read!
Old 12-31-2013   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I understand what you mean, but Kubiak is one of the few coaches that has relied on retreads or undrafted guys. Most teams are drafting RB's in the mid-to-late rounds and slowly bringing them along.

I really like Andrews and, if we hire O'Brien, he would be a perfect fit for his offense. He loves to get the ball to the RB and Andrews is great in the passing game.
I suspect Bill O will have a Faulk , Sproles or Vareen type back . I like Robert Godhigh if he can catch .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2013   #28
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Moses is definitely a mauler & would be well suited to a power O. I'm not sure I agree on being under rated in pass protection.
He gave up 2 sacks on 506 pass attempts this year. Held Kyle Van Noy, Jeremiah Attaochu, and Vic Beasly to a combined 3 tackles and 0 sacks.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He gave up 2 sacks on 506 pass attempts this year. Held Kyle Van Noy, Jeremiah Attaochu, and Vic Beasly to a combined 3 tackles and 0 sacks.
Moses parts the defense .

Round Dan
Old 12-31-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I suspect Bill O will have a Faulk , Sproles or Vareen type back . I like Robert Godhigh if he can catch .
O'Brien will probably play with 2 backs. He will likely play with a bigger back who can pound the ball (Ridley/Blount) and smaller backs who can catch the ball and play in space (Vereen/Woodhead). The thing about Andrews is he can do both. He's a little bit bigger than Vereen and not as agile in space, but he is great in the passing game and bruising in the run game. Very complete back.

As for Godhigh, I have scouted him. He can catch the ball, but he's usually wide open because of the way the GT pass offense is set up. He drops passes over the middle and doesn't have top end speed. He's a good college player, but I don't see the NFL translation. I do like his vision and the way he cuts so maybe he could be a Woodhead type, but I don't think so.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
O'Brien will probably play with 2 backs. He will likely play with a bigger back who can pound the ball (Ridley/Blount) and smaller backs who can catch the ball and play in space (Vereen/Woodhead). The thing about Andrews is he can do both. He's a little bit bigger than Vereen and not as agile in space, but he is great in the passing game and bruising in the run game. Very complete back.

As for Godhigh, I have scouted him. He can catch the ball, but he's usually wide open because of the way the GT pass offense is set up. He drops passes over the middle and doesn't have top end speed. He's a good college player, but I don't see the NFL translation. I do like his vision and the way he cuts so maybe he could be a Woodhead type, but I don't think so.
I think the smaller quick dudes are better at making the first guy miss on dump offs . DEnnis Johnson fits that mold .

Round Dan
Old 12-31-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And he would continue to do well in college, I just have some concerns about translating to NFL. He seems top heavy when I watch and leans forward which helps if he is blocking straight ahead. When the play goes his way he is very good but I can see him being shed easily in NFL at least until he gets some experience. He does have quick feet but seems sluggish (if that is right word) when trying to re-direct. IMO he should sit a year if goal is RT and he would probably be better at RG first season. I would not hate pick but we need to get a starting RT somehow.
Old 12-31-2013   #33
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think the smaller quick dudes are better at making the first guy miss on dump offs . DEnnis Johnson fits that mold .
Yes he does. If you're interested in drafting a guy like that then check out Dri Archer from Kent State. Big fan of his.

I could see O'Brien using Foster as his bell cow and Johnson as his scat back. Mix in Andrews when needed. Andrews takes over for Foster in a few years.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yes he does. If you're interested in drafting a guy like that then check out Dri Archer from Kent State. Big fan of his.

I could see O'Brien using Foster as his bell cow and Johnson as his scat back. Mix in Andrews when needed. Andrews takes over for Foster in a few years.
Andrews is very good going directly down field especially behind a blocker (which Texans do not current have or at least use) but not so good running around end. I like him if we go Power and use a solid FB.
Old 12-31-2013   #35
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And he would continue to do well in college, I just have some concerns about translating to NFL. He seems top heavy when I watch and leans forward which helps if he is blocking straight ahead. When the play goes his way he is very good but I can see him being shed easily in NFL at least until he gets some experience. He does have quick feet but seems sluggish (if that is right word) when trying to re-direct. IMO he should sit a year if goal is RT and he would probably be better at RG first season. I would not hate pick but we need to get a starting RT somehow.
He does play high a lot and that's the biggest issue with his game right now. He is also somewhat sluggish if he has to re-direct. That's why I think he needs to drop weight. He's pretty athletic despite his size and I think if he slimmed down that would help. He looked a lot more athletic this year than he did last year and I think he could make a similar jump if he worked on his body.

As for sitting for a year, I think the majority of guys should sit for a year, but not every guy has that luxury. I don't think there's any doubt that he would be our best option at RT the second he stepped on the field in training camp.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #36
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Andrews is very good going directly down field especially behind a blocker (which Texans do not current have or at least use) but not so good running around end. I like him if we go Power and use a solid FB.
Every RB is more efficient with a lead blocker. Andrews has shown that he doesn't necessarily need one to be effective. Texans can use that to their advantage by bringing in extra WR or TE to spread field or diversify formation. Defenses will have to adjust because he's also a threat in the passing game.

Andrews isn't a great change of direction player in space but he has great hands, field awareness, vision, and makes strong quick cuts which makes him effective in the passing game and on the edge nonetheless. Is he Jamaal Charles? No, but he's proven adept at running inside, outside, catching the ball, and run after catch.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-31-2013   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Jordan Zumwalt is a beast, undersized yes but plays with heart of a Lion. reminds me of Cushing, in his passion, instincts & ability to step up his play- 10 tackles & 43 yard interception to seal bowl game.

not going to last until 1st pick of 7th rd. my bad

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-31-2013   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Jordan Zumwalt is a beast, undersized yes but plays with heart of a Lion. reminds me of Cushing, in his passion, instincts & ability to step up his play- 10 tackles & 43 yard interception to seal bowl game.

not going to last until 1st pick of 7th rd. my bad
That guy can hit .

Round Dan
Old 12-31-2013   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
That guy can hit .
does he remind you of a smaller version of Cushing? if so how awesome would that be....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-31-2013   #40
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Donald is too small to play in the 3-4 and he's really pushing to play 3 tech in 4-3. I gotta see how long his arms are before I slot him. Just as floyd has struggled getting off blocks,he will also.

I would replace donald with verrett or fuller. Top 3 of 3rd, even in a passing league, I like mccullers pushing the pocket and holdng the los. Part of the reason whitney couldn't get to qb was because mitchell didn't get any pocket penetration. Mccullers is a guy who plays with good pad level who will collapse the pocket and take away step up space. That help watt,crick,mecilous,and the other olb. The emegence of poe in kc really helped houston and hali. They knew they could come inside some times and the qb would be in their crosshairs. Jmo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read