Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2014   #1641
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Whether it's the draft or acquiring a player from another team, you still have to assess value.

We knew that we needed a qb going into the draft. OB might like savage and think he might develop into a starter, but they still assigned a value to him.

You don't just give up whatever a team is asking for because you like a guy.
I agree. But the Pats weren't asking for pie in the sky, they were asking for a single 2nd rounder. We could have traded back into the second round with some of our later picks to give them a 2nd.

We didn't.

We didn't give them our second.

We didn't give them this years third & next years 2nd.

"Obviously" they assessed his value lower than that. Which means they do not think he is a franchise QB, or has the potential to be.
Old 08-13-2014   #1642
brg88tx
Rookie

Rep Power: 6456 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
By trading for him, with a late round pick, you get him at this years salary. If we resign him at the end of his current contract, we will be in no worse position than if we wait until after this season.

Who do you release? If we sign Mallett, Savage will leave at the end of his contract so we'd essentially be throwing that time, training and money down the drain.
fitz....he has no desire.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1643
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's got the tools, he responds to coaching. Nothing wrong with that.

Still, the main thing is that O'Brien & Godsey spent time with him, preparing him for the NFL. If they want him, I want him. If they don't want him, I don't want him. If they think he's worth a first round pick, I'm extremely excited. If they would rather wait till he's a free agent next year... I couldn't care less about him.
This is the exact argument I've been having for years on this board. My position is that Mallett does not have the tools. He has never and will never have the tools. He's a big man with a big arm. That is it. Size and arm strength are irrelevant to me as long as a minimum requirement is met. Beyond those two things his toolbox is empty.

And his response to coaching is a total guess. The only evidence we have is what we can see. Mallett has not looked even average a single time he has stepped on a NFL field. He is also coming into a contract year and the best coach in the NFL drafted his replacement already (with a pretty high pick) while actively trying to shop him.

If Mallett had looked amazing in the small amount of time we've seen him then I would understand all the hoopla. But he has never come close to that. All he has ever done is put up good college stats while playing in a QB friendly system that made people think Tyler Wilson was a NFL QB. The same Tyler Wilson who took Mallett's 10 win team and turned it into an 11 win team.

I agree with you that if O'Brien wanted him I would stand behind the decision and hope that I am wrong. But I still maintain that Mallett has never been anything more than a big man with a big arm. He is not a NFL starting QB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1644
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bill Belichick considered Ryan Mallett to be just just an adequate backup QB he wouldn't be looking to trade or cut him. If Bill Belichick wants to trade you Ryan Mallett then you want no part of that trade.
Old 08-13-2014   #1645
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

If Mallett had looked amazing in the small amount of time we've seen him then I would understand all the hoopla.
Outside his connection with O'Brien, there is no hoopla. If we didn't have O'Brien, there would be no more talk about Ryan Mallet than there is about Ryan Nassib.

Well there's that Fitzgerald thing to. That's probably making any QB not named Schaub look pretty enticing right now.
Old 08-13-2014   #1646
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Belichick has stated (paraphrased) the main reasons why he decided to draft Brady is because not only did Tom win, Tom delivered wins when his team was down and needed him most. Belichick said it seemed like every time you put the tape on Brady was producing a 4th quarter win and/or game winning drive.
Tom Brady at Michigan- The Comeback Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hma8VA-zLSk
Old 08-13-2014   #1647
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Was it just me, or did Fitzpatrick look a bit like Steve Young Saturday? Little flashes here & there.
Old 08-13-2014   #1648
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was it just me, or did Fitzpatrick look a bit like Steve Young Saturday? Little flashes here & there.
Damn, dude, whatever you're smoking is better than mine.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1649
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Damn, dude, whatever you're smoking is better than mine.
I'm trying to get my game-face on. You know me, Mr.Positive when the season starts.
Old 08-13-2014   #1650
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Yeah, maybe Steve Young when he was with the BUCS....
On second thought, Fitz never looked that good. I think Thorn has a point...
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1651
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gntlewolf View Post
yeah, maybe steve young when he was with the bucs....
On second thought, fitz never looked that good. I think thorn has a joint...
fify
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1652
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I thought that was a given....LOL
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1653
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's twice today.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1654
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Step away from the mango.
Old 08-13-2014   #1655
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah he did.

...if you mean THIS Steve Young

...that one time when he ran for that first down.

Yeah... a little.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1656
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yeah he did.

...if you mean THIS Steve Young

...that one time when he ran for that first down.

Yeah... a little.
& we know how that guy turned out once he got with a competent coach.
Old 08-13-2014   #1657
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83062 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, are you serious.
Old 08-13-2014   #1658
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Steve Young wasn't 32 and at the end of his career.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1659
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

83 pages later and we still have no idea who is going to be the QB..

VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1660
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Steve Young wasn't 32 and at the end of his career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
TK, are you serious.
You guys are not helping with my delusions.

FYI, not that it is relevant here, but Steve Young was 31 when he took over as starter for the 49ers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read