Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2014   #1621
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Arkansas was 5-7 the year that Mallett was sitting out as a transfer. It was also Petrino's first year there.

They were 8-5 and 10-3 in Mallett's two years as the starter.

They went 11-2 the year after Mallett left. This was Petrino's final year. They then went 4-8 the next year.

Petrino did far more than Mallett than Mallett did for Petrino. For some reason I've been the only one on the planet who has noticed this. Everyone else is blinded by Mallett's size and arm.
He's got the tools, he responds to coaching. Nothing wrong with that.

Still, the main thing is that O'Brien & Godsey spent time with him, preparing him for the NFL. If they want him, I want him. If they don't want him, I don't want him. If they think he's worth a first round pick, I'm extremely excited. If they would rather wait till he's a free agent next year... I couldn't care less about him.
Old 08-12-2014   #1622
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's got the tools, he responds to coaching. Nothing wrong with that.

Still, the main thing is that O'Brien & Godsey spent time with him, preparing him for the NFL. If they want him, I want him. If they don't want him, I don't want him. If they think he's worth a first round pick, I'm extremely excited. If they would rather wait till he's a free agent next year... I couldn't care less about him.
Whuut? Ya lost me Tk. Again...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1623
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Whuut? Ya lost me Tk. Again...
O'Brien & Godsey have spent time with Mallet. They know what his mental capacity is, how well he grasps the system, if he's seeing the things he's supposed to see, if he's thinking the way he's supposed to think... If he understands what they are needing their QB to do in this system.
If they think he's worth a 1st round pick, that's better than all the media hyped prospects & Mayock's best, etc...
If, on the other hand, they feel like he isn't worth a draft pick & are fine with waiting to see if he's available next offseason (What's to stop another team from trading for him? SF gave up a 6th for Gabert).

If you thought there was a franchise QB buried on someone's depth chart, do you wait for him to become available in FA?

I understand not wanting to "deal" with Bellichick, but I'd gladly have given up this years 2nd & next if it would have got us a franchise QB in Houston before OTAs.
Old 08-12-2014   #1624
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O'Brien & Godsey have spent time with Mallet. They know what his mental capacity is, how well he grasps the system, if he's seeing the things he's supposed to see, if he's thinking the way he's supposed to think... If he understands what they are needing their QB to do in this system.
If they think he's worth a 1st round pick, that's better than all the media hyped prospects & Mayock's best, etc...
If, on the other hand, they feel like he isn't worth a draft pick & are fine with waiting to see if he's available next offseason (What's to stop another team from trading for him? SF gave up a 6th for Gabert).

If you thought there was a franchise QB buried on someone's depth chart, do you wait for him to become available in FA?

I understand not wanting to "deal" with Bellichick, but I'd gladly have given up this years 2nd & next if it would have got us a franchise QB in Houston before OTAs.

It's not that exact of of science. Belichick might have thought Brady could be a starter, but he waited until the 6th round.

You can like a guy but not want to give up too much. Risk vs reward. You can like a guy but understand there's the reasonable chance he doesn't live up to expectations.

If it were that obvious who was going to be a franchise guy and who wasn't it'd be easy to determine worth.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1625
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
It's not that exact of of science. Belichick might have thought Brady could be a starter, but he waited until the 6th round.

You can like a guy but not want to give up too much. Risk vs reward. You can like a guy but understand there's the reasonable chance he doesn't live up to expectations.

If it were that obvious who was going to be a franchise guy and who wasn't it'd be easy to determine worth.
I'm convinced OB is looking for the next Tom Brady and won't settle for less. I have no idea how you go about finding the next Tom Brady, though. That combination of dedication, talent and intelligence is pretty rare. I can count the number of similar players on one hand. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees. Several others have some of the traits, but I only see those 4 as having all of them. I count intangibles in with talent.
Of the three traits, I think dedication is the hardest to gauge. I'd love to see how I would react if I was a young, studly millionaire who happened to be the starting QB for an NFL team. I was once a young, studly broke S.O.B who happened to be a bull rider. Chicks dig bull riders...
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1626
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you left out luck (not Andrew ) Brady was just luck. Reason he was drafted 199 but he developed and he will be in HOF and made his coach a HOF coach...
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1627
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think you left out luck (not Andrew ) Brady was just luck. Reason he was drafted 199 but he developed and he will be in HOF and made his coach a HOF coach...
Yes, luck plays a huge role. Right HC/OC/QB. No matrix for that yet.

Maybe OB thinks Savage is his lucky pick?
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2014   #1628
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm convinced OB is looking for the next Tom Brady and won't settle for less. I have no idea how you go about finding the next Tom Brady, though.
Belichick has stated (paraphrased) the main reasons why he decided to draft Brady is because not only did Tom win, Tom delivered wins when his team was down and needed him most. Belichick said it seemed like every time you put the tape on Brady was producing a 4th quarter win and/or game winning drive.

These are similar comments expressed by Bill Walsh on what made Walsh pull the trigger to draft Joe Montana.
Old 08-12-2014   #1629
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Belichick has stated (paraphrased) the main reasons why he decided to draft Brady is because not only did Tom win, Tom delivered wins when his team was down and needed him most. Belichick said it seemed like every time you put the tape on Brady was producing a 4th quarter win and/or game winning drive.

These are similar comments expressed by Bill Walsh on what made Walsh pull the trigger to draft Joe Montana.
Great info. Thanks for putting that out here.
Old 08-12-2014   #1630
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Got the quote? I found this:

Quote:
1. Tom Brady (6th round, 2000): A no-brainer. To their credit, Belichick and former GM Scott Pioli disavow any knowledge that Brady might turn into TOM BRADY, SUPERSTAR. (Pioli used to keep a picture of Dave Stachelski -- who was taken one round before Brady -- on his desk as a reminder that he wasn't some sort of draft genius. Frankly, if they did know the quarterback would become the game-changer he ended up being, they wouldn't have waited until the sixth round to draft him.) Everyone knows the story, so we’ll just leave you with the quote from Beilchick shortly after the 2000 draft was completed on his new quarterback: “The value board at that point really just clearly put him as the top value. Brady is a guy who has obviously played at a high level of competition in front of a lot of people. He’s been in a lot of pressure situations. We felt that this year his decision-making was improved from his junior year after he took over for [Brian] Griese and cut his interceptions down. [He’s] a good, tough, competitive, smart quarterback that is a good value, and how he does and what he’ll be able to ... we’ll just put him out there with everybody else and let himcompete and see what happens.”
Link
Old 08-12-2014   #1631
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Exactly. NE knew nothing about Brady, left him high and dry on the Board
thru 5 rounds. They had no clue, just incredibly good fortune.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1632
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Great info. Thanks for putting that out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Got the quote?

Belichick on Brady

"“We saw Tom time and again his senior year start the game off well, and so many times Tom would come back in, and rescue the situation, and pull out the win for Michigan against great competition, the biggest game,”

Shea, one of the stars of the program, said Brady was the “best quarterback on the team, bar none. Ask any guy on that team.” Brady possessed the intangibles — he was even dubbed as “The Comeback Kid” at Michigan — but he wasn’t afraid to admit Henson was faster, stronger, quicker, more elusive and had a better arm.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2011/04/bill-belichi...of-2000-draft/
Old 08-12-2014   #1633
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Got the quote? I found this:

Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Exactly. NE knew nothing about Brady, left him high and dry on the Board
thru 5 rounds. They had no clue, just incredibly good fortune.
Not entirely by luck. There was a thought process behind picking Brady. That's my same philosophy on drafting. I must be in the wrong business......
Old 08-12-2014   #1634
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

I'm not talking about the draft. I'm talking about Bill O'Brien & George Godsey spending real time with Mallet after the draft. He's got a team now that is in need of a QB. Sure, he's new & there's a honeymoon period, but nothing begets winning like winning.

Doesn't make sense to play games & quibble about the cost of a guy you feel can be a franchise QB. If we're going to wait 'till next year, they don't think he's a franchise guy.
Old 08-12-2014   #1635
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Belichick on Brady

"“We saw Tom time and again his senior year start the game off well, and so many times Tom would come back in, and rescue the situation, and pull out the win for Michigan against great competition, the biggest game,”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2011/04/bill-belichi...of-2000-draft/
We're arguing in circles here. BB and Peoli saw something, an intangible, in Brady and drafted him very late. If they thought, for a second, that he was rated higher than another player in the draft, they would've drafted him sooner. They didn't and he wasn't. That's where my point on dedication comes in. The Pats, despite all of their magical draft prowess, couldn't properly see how Brady's talent, intelligence and dedication set him apart. It's Brady's dedication to perfection that sets him apart. It's the same with Manning, Rodgers and Brees. They are masters at their craft, not merely very good at it.
Old 08-12-2014   #1636
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not talking about the draft. I'm talking about Bill O'Brien & George Godsey spending real time with Mallet after the draft. He's got a team now that is in need of a QB. Sure, he's new & there's a honeymoon period, but nothing begets winning like winning.

Doesn't make sense to play games & quibble about the cost of a guy you feel can be a franchise QB. If we're going to wait 'till next year, they don't think he's a franchise guy.
You're spot on, IMHO, TK
Old 08-12-2014   #1637
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

By trading for him, with a late round pick, you get him at this years salary. If we resign him at the end of his current contract, we will be in no worse position than if we wait until after this season.

Who do you release? If we sign Mallett, Savage will leave at the end of his contract so we'd essentially be throwing that time, training and money down the drain.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #1638
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
By trading for him, with a late round pick, you get him at this years salary. If we resign him at the end of his current contract, we will be in no worse position than if we wait until after this season.

Who do you release? If we sign Mallett, Savage will leave at the end of his contract so we'd essentially be throwing that time, training and money down the drain.
What?
Old 08-13-2014   #1639
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mallett is actually released or traded, that means that Garappolo is the only other QB on the Pats' roster behind Brady. Do you folks really think Belichick will roll through the season with just a rookie as his only backup??
I'm having a hard time believing that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #1640
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Whether it's the draft or acquiring a player from another team, you still have to assess value.

We knew that we needed a qb going into the draft. OB might like savage and think he might develop into a starter, but they still assigned a value to him.

You don't just give up whatever a team is asking for because you like a guy. Vikings coach said he things teddy b is going to be a special qb. Yet he waited until the end of the first to move up for him. Why not take a special qb with your first pick? They assessed the market and spent what was necessary.

When I shop, just because I want or need something doesn't mean I'll pay whatever the first store is asking.

And that's way more clear cut than trading for a qb. There's more than jus ob involved in this decision. And it's not like you have to settle on one guy...he could like things about mcgloin, hoyer, mallet, savage...or even fitz and keenum...

If he was zoned in on a guy and SURE he'd become a franchise guy, then he might give up what a team wanted. But he can like a guy and not be 100% sold. And even if he is, you still don't give up more than you have to.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read