Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2014   #1581
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've never been impressed by Mallett and I've never understood the fascination with him from fans either.
How can anyone be impressed with a guy that has rarely seen the field...? I mean three entire seasons and he has four passing attempts and ONE completion.
Maybe it's the 8 "rushing attempts" for minus 9 yards.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1582
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It wasn't just the stats that looked bad. He was terrible.
I saw him throw twice to receivers who didn't even turn their head for the ball. I don't blame the receivers for that because I don't see Tom making those mistakes. That was on the QB - he looked like he had no idea what the routes were

I also saw him throw to no one at least once.

His accuracy is awful
Old 08-08-2014   #1583
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Just got home, watching the game now. First possession, he didn't look too bad, not a lot of opportunity to show off his skills though. Handed the ball off twice for 2~3 yards, he gets to throw on 3rd & 8... protection sucks, he escapes pressure, almost trips, regains composure & throws a "poor" pass on the move. His receiver does a good job dives for the ball & catches it.

I say it was a poor pass because the trajectory looked odd, but he was squeezing it between two defenders, he very well could have put the ball exactly where he wanted it, hard to tell.

Moot point as the play was nullified by a holding penalty. Which brings up 3rd & 17. The Genius Belichick calls up a WR screen. Mallet did his job, the receiver did his job, the blockers did not.

He didn't look exceptionally good or bad on this series.
Old 08-08-2014   #1584
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Redskins get good field position, their own 44 yard line or something. Running game gets good chunks of yards, Griffin didn't look particularly impressive either. One ball is thrown wide right of his intended receiver, he was open for a good backshoulder throw, but no way he could catch the ball where Griffin threw it. Don't really know if that was supposed to be an out route or just a bad throw. RG3 made motions to Morris as if he was taking the blame though. Announcers say Griffin's next pass was thrown a little too late, causing a would be TD catch to be ruled out of bounds...

Again, not very impressed with RG3, but his team mates did a heck of a job getting down field. Lots of good second efforts for extra yards to keep the chains moving. Too bad they had to settle for a FG.
Old 08-08-2014   #1585
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

2nd possession the Pats start at their 20, first snap is a pass from under center, three step drop.. Mallet makes his reads alright, but when he makes up his mind, his front foot doesn't point in the direction of the throw & he's not really set up to transfer his weight right & he puts the ball in the dirt in front of his intended receiver.

next play Mallet's in the shotgun. Nate Solder gets beat by Ryan Kerrigan from the snap, forcing Mallet to step up before he's even ready to set up. He runs right into Brian Orakpo who's taken a hard inside slant against the Pat's LT.

3rd & 15, that Genius Bellichick calls a draw.

Again, hard to get a read on Mallet. Not good, but not a whole lot there.
Old 08-08-2014   #1586
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97064 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't wait to watch this game in a couple hours...
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1587
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

RG3's done for the night, Cousins comes out. First play is a bootleg, works great at the line, the defense is completely fooled, Cousins has all kinds of time, but for whatever reason he throws it into double coverage, almost picked off... bad decision, clear cut, bad.

Some WR jumps offsides, backs the 'skins up 2nd & 15. Receivers run the defense off camera, Cousins hits Helu underneath & he picks up all 15 yards. Next play is a short pass to the FB in the flats, he picks up 10 yards. Next pass, Cousins has another easy throw underneath, after going through his reads, but throws it wide left. Next play, the RB doesn't take the handoff, Cousins runs with the ball... OL gets called for holding.

2nd & 19 handoff to Helu for 7 yards. 3rd & 12 Cousins in the gun, pressure gets to him quick, looks like he threw it away. Illegal hands on a WR, automatic 1st down.

1st & 10 from the Pats 30 hand off to Helu, 1 yard. Personal foul on the defense, half the distance to the goal, 1st & 10 from the 14 yard line. Hand off to Helu for 3 yards. 2nd & 7 hand off to Helu, 1 yard. 3rd & 6, 5 receivers Cousins in the gun. Cousins throws a bullet to Robinson in the seam for a TD. Great throw by Cousins.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 08-08-2014 at 05:06 PM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2014   #1588
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Pats, 1st & 10 from their 22. Ryan takes the snap from under center, play action, he turns around, looks like the DT is going to get him, he takes off running, picks up three yards, but goofs up the slide, looks like he jammed his knee. 2nd & 7, hand off, for 3 yards. 3rd & 4 from the shotgun, stands tall in the pocket, nice throw to pick up 1st down, plus 3 (6 yard pass or so). Offsides offense, backs them up 5 yards.

3rd & 9, shotgun. Stands tall again, another nice throw for 15 yards. 5 yards after the catch. 1st & 10 under center, hand off, no gain. 2nd & 10 from the gun. Nice 10 yard bullet, slightly behind Lefell. 1st & 10, under center, hand off, 6 yards. 2nd & 4, hand off, 2 yards. 3rd & 4, shotgun, short pass to a covered receiver. He did throw it low & away to protect the ball, but his receiver didn't make a play.

That's the last possession I'm going to do. Mallet didn't look "horrible" to me, really nothing that should have changed anyone's mind. If I were Bellichick & I thought he was a good back up & I wanted a 2nd round pick for him, my opinion hasn't changed.

If I were a fan of Mallet's, & I thought he could be a starter in this league, nothing's changed. If I were a hater & thought he's a talentless hack, he did nothing to change my opinion.

As it stands, OB didn't think he was worth what the Patriots were asking.... imo, that means OB, who spent time with him & has coaches on his staff that worked with Mallet last season, don't think he's got franchise potential.
Old 08-08-2014   #1589
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97064 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As it stands, OB didn't think he was worth what the Patriots were asking.... imo, that means OB, who spent time with him & has coaches on his staff that worked with Mallet last season, don't think he's got franchise potential.
I don't agree that logic.

You don't give up whatever someone is asking just because you want him. No one knows for sure whether he's a franchise qb. No crystal balls. All you can do is go on what you believe. And understand you could be wrong.

Just like the draft...just because we took savage in the 4th round doesn't mean we don't think he's capable of being a franchise guy.

Kubiak believed in Schaub, but if Atl wanted 3 1st and we didn't budge doesn't mean kubiak believed any less in him.

You only give up what you have to give up or more importantly what you think market value is.

Btw, mallett didn't look bad like everyone was saying to me. Pretty much disagree with the analysis he was horrible. He wasn't great, but he made some nice throws. Messed up some, oline hurt him some.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1590
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I admit I exaggerated but it's more than just being a big armed QB with substance abuse issues.

Mallett reminded me of Russell quite a bit when he was coming out in the draft. Both are big guys who can throw far and have no other skills. They both played on good college teams and were given far more credit than they deserved for the success of those teams. They both had good stats (Mallett's were better) but were carried by great coaches who protected them and supporting casts that made them look better than they really were.

It's also a huge red flag to me when a player is coming out and when his positive attributes are discussed the #1 thing is always size. If the frame of a person's body is their best attribute then I don't think that's a very good thing, especially for a QB. A minimum frame is required but being bigger than other QBs does not make you better than them. What are the things about him that make him even a decent option as a QB?
I always thought Mettenberger was a lot like Mallett too. Think that is a better comparison than JaMarcus.

He had a few throws last night that really wowed you but he gets happy feet and rushes his throws too much. Granted the OL didn't really help. I think an offense like the Steelers would suit him better instead of all the short to intermediate throws.

He lacks touch on short throws but was 4/5 last night with throws over 10 yards
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1591
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 65123 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm not advocating trading for Mallett. (Although I wouldn't mind a trade for the right price.) However what was the Razorbacks record before Mallett?

Les Miles is a great HC? LOL

Great recruiter? Yes Great HC? Nah
Maybe he'll be a waiver wire pickup. I wouldn't give up a draft choice.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1592
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't agree that logic.

You don't give up whatever someone is asking just because you want him. No one knows for sure whether he's a franchise qb..
Within reason. If Bellichick was asking for our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd I'm with you. But I'd gladly give up #33 if that was the next "Andrew Luck" (not that I think all that of Luck, just using him as the example). Even before Luck played a down in the NFL, surely you'd have given up #33 to acquire him right? RG3?

I mean Shanahan didn't have a crystal ball, but he bet the farm. He felt pretty strongly that Griffin had franchise potential.

This is a QB driven league & if I thought Ryan Mallet, or Ryan Nassib had the potential to be a franchise QB I'd have given up my 2nd this year.

I said from the beginning, OB was the OC when the Patriots drafted Mallet. OB spent a year with him, teaching him the QB position before he went to Penn State. If OB thought Mallet was worth our 2nd, then I'm rolling with it because he wouldn't do it unless he felt Mallet had the potential to be a franchise QB.

But it didn't happen. OB was still the OC in New England when Mallet was drafted. OB still coached him for a year, teaching him the QB position before moving on to Penn State. The word was that New England was looking for a 2nd, we had the best 2nd round pick in the draft. We didn't make the trade.

OB obviously didn't think he was worth #33.

& if he thinks Savage is just as good a prospect.... ok, let me think about that. I think I know what you're saying. I can see that.
Old 08-08-2014   #1593
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 5m
A little behind on Red Zone ... But man, Blake Bortles looks the part. Fundamentally better, too Good, quick work by coaches.

He was on "the other card"
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #1594
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I was (and still am) really ready to give Fitzpatrick his shot I was convinced he would help us win the most of any QBs we have on the team. And I was convinced he will learn the playbook the fastest. And what I've read in the training camp threads only seemed to confirm that.

Now what I have seen in that game doesn't match that. Yeah, the whole team didn't look good - but Fitzpatrick made bad reads, bad throws and bad decisions. He only had one good series in there and ended it with an INT. In their short time Keenum looked significantly better - and Savage looked like a rookie for whom the game is too fast, but given time that does better than Fitz.

I know it is game 1 of preseason under a new coach, with a new team and all that - and I am not gonna put too much weight on that one game. But if that is a continuing trend I'd like to see a change at QB sooner rather than later. The only reason for starting Fitzpatrick would be winning now (since only the other two could be considered our future) - if he doesn't outplay the other QBs, I don't see any reason to play him...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #1595
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Mallett now on NFLN, pitiful, just pitiful
Old 08-10-2014   #1596
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously this is going to improve. It can't get worse and with the full compliment of 1's on the field the offense should operate at least a little better than this.

In the unlikely event that this is what we'll see from Shitzpatrick for the duration of his stay here (and if Keenum and Savage aren't good enough to unseat him) I'm in favor of the Texans sending Bob McNair's private jet to California to bring David Carr in for contract discussions.

Yes, you read that right.
Old 08-10-2014   #1597
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Obviously this is going to improve. It can't get worse and with the full compliment of 1's on the field the offense should operate at least a little better than this.

In the unlikely event that this is what we'll see from Shitzpatrick for the duration of his stay here (and if Keenum and Savage aren't good enough to unseat him) I'm in favor of the Texans sending Bob McNair's private jet to California to bring David Carr in for contract discussions.

Yes, you read that right.

slow your roll Cool... how about we scour the waiver wire for the best quality O-line help first. Maybe if we give them decent protection the QB-ing will improve.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #1598
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

slow your roll Cool... how about we scour the waiver wire for the best quality O-line help first. Maybe if we give them decent protection the QB-ing will improve.

No way man, I'm thinking if Shitz is going to be starting the rest of the year why not just pull a "Rockhound" and find a good spot to watch the end of the world from. It's time to "Embrace the horror" in that situation and I can think of no one I'd rather watch run for their life in utter confusion than David Carr.

Make it happen Rick!

Old 08-10-2014   #1599
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 945 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, I think people should have realized that Mallet wasn't special when the Patriots went out of their way to grab a QB in the second round with his contract coming up and Brady a few years from possibly retiring.

But regardless, Mallet isn't the answer for this team at QB especially considering the issues we have at the offensive line, best look toward the draft.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #1600
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I was (and still am) really ready to give Fitzpatrick his shot I was convinced he would help us win the most of any QBs we have on the team. And I was convinced he will learn the playbook the fastest. And what I've read in the training camp threads only seemed to confirm that.

Now what I have seen in that game doesn't match that. Yeah, the whole team didn't look good - but Fitzpatrick made bad reads, bad throws and bad decisions. He only had one good series in there and ended it with an INT. In their short time Keenum looked significantly better - and Savage looked like a rookie for whom the game is too fast, but given time that does better than Fitz.

I know it is game 1 of preseason under a new coach, with a new team and all that - and I am not gonna put too much weight on that one game. But if that is a continuing trend I'd like to see a change at QB sooner rather than later. The only reason for starting Fitzpatrick would be winning now (since only the other two could be considered our future) - if he doesn't outplay the other QBs, I don't see any reason to play him...
This is where I'm at. The draft is over and ya gotta piss with the cock ya got. Shitzpatrick is that cock, unless Keenum or Savage prove to be better cocks. Play the games with the guys ya got. If' you're all that as a coach, there should be significant improvement in the W/L column while you build the roster to your expectations.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read