Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2014   #1561
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

I think Mallet is trying to negotiate his release from the Patriots.
Old 08-08-2014   #1562
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Mallet is trying to negotiate his release from the Patriots.
Is this speculation...

or have you read/heard something...?

I'm just askin'
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1563
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Personally I would like to see the Texans finally go after a 1st round QB in 2015 regardless of how Savage plays, mainly because there should be a decent amount of potential franchise QB's to choose from, and if they already do not have a top 3 pick, they should make a move to get there at any cost. 2015 will be the year to finally land a franchise QB.
I only wish that just choosing a QB with our first-round pick would be the panacea to all of our problems at QB, but I fail to see how that automatically is the answer ? Holding the #1 overall in the May Draft, Billy had the chance to get whoever he wanted, then at the beginning of the second day and the beginning of the third and final day he had the chance to take whoever was on the Board and each time he declined. I think when he sees a QB prospect that he thinks is the "real deal", he will aggressively go after him, and until that happens he's not going to reach and overpay for a prospect, even a QB. Of course that assumes that Savage does not grow and develop into a solid NFL QB which remains to be seen.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1564
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I only wish that just choosing a QB with our first-round pick would be the panacea to all of our problems at QB, but I fail to see how that automatically is the answer ? Holding the #1 overall in the May Draft, Billy had the chance to get whoever he wanted, then at the beginning of the second day and the beginning of the third and final day he had the chance to take whoever was on the Board and each time he declined. I think when he sees a QB prospect that he thinks is the "real deal", he will aggressively go after him, and until that happens he's not going to reach and overpay for a prospect, even a QB. Of course that assumes that Savage does not grow and develop into a solid NFL QB which remains to be seen.
And that is exactly the correct approach to take.
Old 08-08-2014   #1565
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
From the Boston Globe:

LINK
Quote:
Letís just please stop pretending that one of the other 31 teams is going to give up any sort of significant draft pick to acquire Mallett to be their quarterback. And by significant, I mean even a fourth- or fifth-round pick. He just hasnít proven anything at the pro level, especially in the preseason games, which are his only significant chance to showcase his talents to the world.

We canít say heís ďa starting quarterback in this league,Ē as Mayock did. Nor can we say heís terrible. Or even mediocre. Heís an enigma.
That explains it. I've had one of those enigmas before and I can tell you I wouldn't be playing good football right afterwards.

Old 08-08-2014   #1566
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
You obviously did not see him play. What a giant steaming pile of garbage.

MSR

And without the accuracy.

Personally I would like to see the Texans finally go after a 1st round QB in 2015 regardless of how Savage plays, mainly because there should be a decent amount of potential franchise QB's to choose from, and if they already do not have a top 3 pick, they should make a move to get there at any cost. 2015 will be the year to finally land a franchise QB.
Although I didn't see Mallett play and if he was terrible so be it. Obviously you haven't seen a list of Rick Smith's 1st rd picks?

I have been an advocate for picking a QB in the 1st rd in 2015, it's the reason I wanted Clowney last yr at 1-1.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1567
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That explains it. I've had one of those enigmas before and I can tell you I wouldn't be playing good football right afterwards.

You probably didn't feel sh!tty afterwards, though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2014   #1568
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Is that how you hurt your back?

Was it a tequila enigma?

Rectum? Nearly killed him!
Old 08-08-2014   #1569
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm to the point now where I can't take this thread or any other seriously until after watching tomorrows game. All the arguing over crap we don't know for sure about has scrambled my poor old fading brain.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1570
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

oooh so THAT'S why you can't post effectively right now.
Old 08-08-2014   #1571
austins23
Veteran

Section: GridIron 525
Rep Power: 14072 austins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respectedaustins23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm to the point now where I can't take this thread or any other seriously until after watching tomorrows game. All the arguing over crap we don't know for sure about has scrambled my poor old fading brain.
Mangos anyone?
Old 08-08-2014   #1572
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right.... the conversation is the culprit for your scrambled brain.
On an unrelated note, the word on the street is that there is a run on mangoes in your area...
Old 08-08-2014   #1573
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

So, my reputation as an old, aging addled ex-hippie with a serious mango induced pot hysteria problem is secure. Perhaps I should change that. I could become an irritating troll and change my name to Lord Thorn!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1574
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
So, my reputation as an old, aging addled ex-hippie with a serious mango induced pot hysteria problem is secure. Perhaps I should change that. I could become an irritating troll and change my name to Lord Thorn!
So, you're clearly with the government then.
Old 08-08-2014   #1575
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Right.... the conversation is the culprit for your scrambled brain.
On an unrelated note, the word on the street is that there is a run on mangoes in your area...
About that mango thing.... your bulk purchases have been driving prices out of sight. Slow down. Or at least tell us next time so we can make some cash in the mango futures mkt.
Old 08-08-2014   #1576
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I call you.
Old 08-08-2014   #1577
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never been impressed by Mallett and I've never understood the fascination with him from fans either.

The only difference between him and JaMarcus Russell is skin color.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1578
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've never been impressed by Mallett and I've never understood the fascination with him from fans either.

The only difference between him and JaMarcus Russell is skin color.
I get what you're saying, but Jamarcus gained a bunch of weight and never really showed any kind of dedication to being a pro. He sipped too much lean and he is just socially awkward. Mallett has stuck around for a while now and has learned in a good situation. He hasn't gotten into trouble that I can recall. OB has worked with him before.

Every big armed QB with questionable other skills isn't Jamarcus Russell.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1579
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I get what you're saying, but Jamarcus gained a bunch of weight and never really showed any kind of dedication to being a pro. He sipped too much lean and he is just socially awkward. Mallett has stuck around for a while now and has learned in a good situation. He hasn't gotten into trouble that I can recall. OB has worked with him before.

Every big armed QB with questionable other skills isn't Jamarcus Russell.
I admit I exaggerated but it's more than just being a big armed QB with substance abuse issues.

Mallett reminded me of Russell quite a bit when he was coming out in the draft. Both are big guys who can throw far and have no other skills. They both played on good college teams and were given far more credit than they deserved for the success of those teams. They both had good stats (Mallett's were better) but were carried by great coaches who protected them and supporting casts that made them look better than they really were.

It's also a huge red flag to me when a player is coming out and when his positive attributes are discussed the #1 thing is always size. If the frame of a person's body is their best attribute then I don't think that's a very good thing, especially for a QB. A minimum frame is required but being bigger than other QBs does not make you better than them. What are the things about him that make him even a decent option as a QB?
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #1580
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I admit I exaggerated but it's more than just being a big armed QB with substance abuse issues.

Mallett reminded me of Russell quite a bit when he was coming out in the draft. Both are big guys who can throw far and have no other skills. They both played on good college teams and were given far more credit than they deserved for the success of those teams. They both had good stats (Mallett's were better) but were carried by great coaches who protected them and supporting casts that made them look better than they really were.

It's also a huge red flag to me when a player is coming out and when his positive attributes are discussed the #1 thing is always size. If the frame of a person's body is their best attribute then I don't think that's a very good thing, especially for a QB. A minimum frame is required but being bigger than other QBs does not make you better than them. What are the things about him that make him even a decent option as a QB?

I'm not advocating trading for Mallett. (Although I wouldn't mind a trade for the right price.) However what was the Razorbacks record before Mallett?

Les Miles is a great HC? LOL

Great recruiter? Yes Great HC? Nah
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read