Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2014   #1481
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

A lot of "ifs", but interesting angle...

(tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top)
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Derek Newton has dropped weight, in new system. Job won't be handed to Clabo, but the comp will be vastly upgraded as will O-line play.

"He hasn't played any games"..."he was a head case in college"...yada yada yada. My Reply - "Ryan Fitzpatrick"

I personally believe that the #Texans are a 6 or 7 win team with Fitz as starter & Clabo at RT. Wildcard contender with Mallett.

The value signings / trades of Clabo, Dent, mixed in with young contributors give the Texans a playoff team if the QB play was par or better

Mallett was drafted by Patriots when O'Brien was on staff and has been running this new #Texans offense since he was in high school.

#Texans were interested in Ryan Mallett for a 6th round pick during the draft. Pats wanted more. HOU knew they could move him after Jimmy pk

IF Orton went to NE on a cheap deal to give the Pats insurance in case Brady went down. Pats would part with Mallett.

Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton were a great statistical match in Denver. Orton's best seasons. Mallett has no future in NE.

IF the rumors are true & Orton wants to still play, New England makes sense at their price. Jimmy G is the future, Orton could be vet backup

I've been waiting to see if Orton was really retiring or just making a move to get into a better situation. Seems like he wanted a move.

The #Texans have been bargain shopping this offseason and the patience is paying off. How can the Kyle Orton rumors benefit Houston?
Old 07-23-2014   #1482
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not seeing going after Mallet after the guaranteed money given to Fitz. Unless it is a release Keenum and replace with Mallett. Let Mallett and Fitz compete for the starting spot while Savage sits and learns.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #1483
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

What was this line about???

Quote:
"He hasn't played any games"..."he was a head case in college"...yada yada yada. My Reply - "Ryan Fitzpatrick"
Is this a comparison, by Braddock, of Mallett and Fitzpatrick?? And is Braddock saying that Mallett, a guy with miniscule actual NFL playing experience, is an upgrade over Fitzpatrick??

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with him; just trying to understand the message.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #1484
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What was this line about???

Is this a comparison, by Braddock, of Mallett and Fitzpatrick?? And is Braddock saying that Mallett, a guy with miniscule actual NFL playing experience, is an upgrade over Fitzpatrick??

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with him; just trying to understand the message.
Yes, he is saying the excuses he gets for Mallett is no game experience and was a head case in college. Braddock's rebuttal is simply "Ryan Fitzpatrick". He clearly thinks Mallet would be an upgrade over Fitz.
Old 07-23-2014   #1485
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Yes, he is saying the excuses he gets for Mallett is no game experience and was a head case in college. Braddock's rebuttal is simply "Ryan Fitzpatrick". He clearly thinks Mallet would be an upgrade over Fitz.
Mallett is intriguing. That being said, so is Savage... and, Braddock is pretty foolish to assert that the Texans are vastly better in 2014 with Mallett starting instead of Fitzpatrick.

Not many coaches would muddy the QB situation by acquiring Mallett after drafting Savage and naming Fitzpatrick the starter... regardless whether it worked out or not, I would be impressed with O'Brien for trying it. On the other hand, I would be decidedly unimpressed if he cut or traded Fitz simply to make room for Mallett, before allowing them to compete.
Old 07-24-2014   #1486
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Mallett is intriguing. That being said, so is Savage... and, Braddock is pretty foolish to assert that the Texans are vastly better in 2014 with Mallett starting instead of Fitzpatrick.

Not many coaches would muddy the QB situation by acquiring Mallett after drafting Savage and naming Fitzpatrick the starter... regardless whether it worked out or not, I would be impressed with O'Brien for trying it. On the other hand, I would be decidedly unimpressed if he cut or traded Fitz simply to make room for Mallett, before allowing them to compete.
Fitz likely isn't going anywhere based on the guaranteed money paid to him. If (which I doubt happen) Mallet is brought in, Keenum would be out.
Old 07-24-2014   #1487
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If a team carries three QB's on their roster, they're probably not contenders anyway.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2014   #1488
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If a team carries three QB's on their roster, they're probably not contenders anyway.
2011 Patriots carried 3 QB's....just saying.
Old 07-24-2014   #1489
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't agree with that at all.

I would much rather carry a 3rd qb if I thought I had another good one than say a 9th OL man

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #1490
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Fitz likely isn't going anywhere based on the guaranteed money paid to him.
That's that pre "Matt Flynn" way of thinking.

Take money out of the decision. If he's not one of the two best QBs on the team by the time the season starts, don't let one bad decision turn into two.
Old 07-24-2014   #1491
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's that pre "Matt Flynn" way of thinking.

Take money out of the decision. If he's not one of the two best QBs on the team by the time the season starts, don't let one bad decision turn into two.
I'm not saying he is immune from being released. It will take something dramatic to happen to have him released.
Old 07-24-2014   #1492
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I derive no pleasure w/QB controversy or indecision when it comes to a capable leader @ QB for Texans after messing around 13 freaking years without success. Texans have no Luck at all! Hoping to get lucky using three roster spots has gotten old for me IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #1493
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched some of Fitzpatrick vs. the Colts in week 11 or 12 I believe. I thought he looked pretty good. He doesn't seem to lead his receivers or throw them open but I liked his decision making, overall. He led his team to score on the final drive and looked very capable.

I'm very curious to see how he performs. They guy is fearless, and that will be refreshing.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #1494
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are we still after Mallet?

The patriots tried out Brady Quin this week. Interesting since they currently have Mallet and Gerapolo backing up Brady. The Pats seldom keep more than two QBs so could this mean they are about to trade Mallet and will need another arm for camp to replace him?

I have to say I'm not a Mallet fan but at this point I don't think beggars can be choosers.
Old 08-01-2014   #1495
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we still after Mallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The patriots tried out Brady Quin this week. Interesting since they currently have Mallet and Gerapolo backing up Brady. The Pats seldom keep more than two QBs so could this mean they are about to trade Mallet and will need another arm for camp to replace him?

I have to say I'm not a Mallet fan but at this point I don't think beggars can be choosers.
No. IMO I think Fitz has Billy'O's backing and Savage will end up the number 2. Keenum will get cut and end up on the practice squad. At least that is what my magic 8 ball tells me.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #1496
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
No. IMO I think Fitz has Billy'O's backing and Savage will end up the number 2. Keenum will get cut and end up on the practice squad. At least that is what my magic 8 ball tells me.

I don't think Keenum is practice squad eligible anymore and he wouldn't clear waivers this time I don't believe.
Old 08-02-2014   #1497
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keenum may be cut, but he can't end up on the practice squad since he's out of eligibility (two year limit with a few exceptions).
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #1498
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fits may have Bills backing this year but he may not like what he's seen out of savage or Keemun. Haven't heard anything real positive about either of them from training camp reports. Some good throws here and there but nothing that has made either even remotely close to pushing Fitz for playing time.
Old 08-03-2014   #1499
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83884 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure what to think about these qb's we have. Need to see them with my own eyes. Pre season will be a nice gauge for what we have.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #1500
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Not sure what to think about these qb's we have. Need to see them with my own eyes. Pre season will be a nice gauge for what we have.
I'd be shocked if we changed our QB plan this late in the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read