Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2014   #1441
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

I'd take Dalton .... but I doubt this is real.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #1442
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dalton

Well according to Wikipedia Andy Dalton is.
Now Dalton was another smart QB that I liked.
He doesn't have quite the measurables either.
But he's also a QB, not just a thrower.
I like these guys; they are supposed to be able to use the weapons afforded to them.
These are my kind of QBs.

I want a QB who can make the best use out of the other ten guys on the field.

That's the number one trait I look for in a prospect.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #1443
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This addition was made June 1........but there is no corroboration anywhere else I can find. Apparently invalid submission (at the same time has him listed as with Texans (2013 to the present).
You telling me everything on the internet isn't the truth?

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #1444
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fixed it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #1445
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dalton

That would be so cool... except the second round pick thing.

Katy High-school QB... that'd shut those Case homers right quick wouldn't it?

Fitzmagic would have to change his number.
Old 06-09-2014   #1446
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill O’Brien Hints That He Will Only Bring 3 QBs To Training Camp

Quote:
HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – The Houston Texans currently have four quarterbacks on their roster trying to make Bill O’Brien’s inaugural squad. On Monday the first year head coach hinted that likely only three of those four would be heading to training camp in just under a month.
“Anytime you have four (quarterbacks)…I don’t think it is easy to divide the reps,” O’Brien said in his post practice press conference. “I think you can really get three guys reps in a practice. Which is basically what we’ve been doing. I know that isn’t the easiest thing for those guys but three out of four have been getting reps.”
Old 06-09-2014   #1447
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that Fitzpatrick , a late 4th round QB will get a roster spot ahead of Yates & Keenum should tell you all you need to know about the talent (lack of) the Texans had at QB last season.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2014   #1448
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The fact that Fitzpatrick , a late 4th round QB will get a roster spot ahead of Yates & Keenum should tell you all you need to know about the talent (lack of) the Texans had at QB last season.
With that in mind... do you think we'd be better off with guys like Stafford, Bradford, Locker, Gabbert, Weadon, Tannehill, & guys like that? I know Stafford's thrown for a lot of yards, but I don't believe he gives his team a particular advantage towards winning games.

When "most" people think, "they don't have a franchise QB" they usually think of your John Skelton, David Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jason Campbell, Dan Orlovsky types.

I don't know if we're that bad off yet.

I wouldn't bet that we have the next Tom Brady on our roster, but I think we may very well have the next Matt Schaub, Andy Dalton, David Garrard, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck type of QB on our roster.

Still need to look for that franchise QB, but the situation isn't hopeless.
Old 06-10-2014   #1449
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
With that in mind... do you think we'd be better off with guys like Stafford, Bradford, Locker, Gabbert, Weadon, Tannehill, & guys like that? I know Stafford's thrown for a lot of yards, but I don't believe he gives his team a particular advantage towards winning games.

When "most" people think, "they don't have a franchise QB" they usually think of your John Skelton, David Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jason Campbell, Dan Orlovsky types.

I wouldn't bet that we have the next Tom Brady on our roster, but I think we may very well have the next Matt Schaub, Andy Dalton, David Garrard, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck type of QB on our roster.

With the bold? Yes. I'd take Stafford for his cannon and Tannehill because he would absolutely kill it in O'Brien's offense. The only thing standing between Tannehill and success is that incredibly awful O-line in Miami.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #1450
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

It was that bad last season & I don't think it got a whole lot better this season as far as talent at the position is concerned. They are far from having Andy Dalton , David Garrard or (a healthy) Matt Schaub. Those guy's are leaps & bounds better than Fitzpatrick , Keenum or a yet to throw an NFL pass Savage.

Hell , they may have taken a step back at the position as this year they only have one guy with potential rather than two as Keenum & Yates have shown they are not starter quality , Fitzpatrick hasn't won much & has had turnover issues leaving you with just Savage .... a late 4th rounder who the odds are against.

With a weak schedule , they may win a few games , maybe even make the playoffs but I think that will be in spite of rather than because of the QB talent. That defense will have to carry them and hope the offense doesn't make more mistakes than it can cover for.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 06-10-2014   #1451
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It was that bad last season & I don't think it got a whole lot better this season as far as talent at the position is concerned.
Keenum appeared to be just as talented as all those guys I mentioned. He just made some bad decisions trying to make something happen, instead of giving up on certain plays.

Maybe he didn't mesh with what Kubiak was trying to do, maybe he'll find a better fit with OB's system. Maybe having control of the protections & the routes will work out for him. Maybe OB's process will make it easier for him to make better decisions.

I don't think it was a "talent" problem, as far as a recognition & decision making problem.
Old 06-11-2014   #1452
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Keenum appeared to be just as talented as all those guys I mentioned. He just made some bad decisions trying to make something happen, instead of giving up on certain plays.

Maybe he didn't mesh with what Kubiak was trying to do, maybe he'll find a better fit with OB's system. Maybe having control of the protections & the routes will work out for him. Maybe OB's process will make it easier for him to make better decisions.

I don't think it was a "talent" problem, as far as a recognition & decision making problem.

Most of QB's who make it to an NFL roster are pretty close in physical talent , Keenum is no different.
I consider talent at the QB position to include the cognitive aspects of the game - recognition & decision making are a big part of that. Just look at Peyton , Brady , Brees & Montana among others, that's what makes them special.

They are talking about cutting a QB , that could be Keenum , it wont be Fitzpatrick , a guy with a 27-49-1 career record. It could be Yates too ...

If Keenum gets cut or fails to beat out 27-49-1 as the starter .... what does that tell us ??? (We don't have too long a wait to find out).

27-49-1 Vs 0'fer - 8 Vs 2-3 (1-1 in the playoffs) Vs Rookie 4th rounder .... The bar isn't set very high at QB this season.

They are banking on the QB limiting mistakes while the defense does the heavy lifting with the hopes that they find their future starter in Savage or in next years draft / FA / trade.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 06-11-2014   #1453
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 91318 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

27-49-1 Vs 0'fer - 8 Vs 2-3 (1-1 in the playoffs) Vs Rookie 4th rounder .... The bar isn't set very high at QB this season.
I wonder what the odds would be for Keenum and Yates of being picked up by another team. Certainly wouldn't be to challenge for a starting role. Would they make it out of camp with any other team as a back-up?
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #1454
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
They are talking about cutting a QB , that could be Keenum , it wont be Fitzpatrick , a guy with a 27-49-1 career record. It could be Yates too ...

If Keenum gets cut or fails to beat out 27-49-1 as the starter .... what does that tell us ??? (We don't have too long a wait to find out).

Preaching to the choir brother. Preaching to the choir.
Old 06-11-2014   #1455
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was that bad last season & I don't think it got a whole lot better this season as far as talent at the position is concerned. They are far from having Andy Dalton , David Garrard or (a healthy) Matt Schaub. Those guy's are leaps & bounds better than Fitzpatrick , Keenum or a yet to throw an NFL pass Savage.

Hell , they may have taken a step back at the position as this year they only have one guy with potential rather than two as Keenum & Yates have shown they are not starter quality , Fitzpatrick hasn't won much & has had turnover issues leaving you with just Savage .... a late 4th rounder who the odds are against.

With a weak schedule , they may win a few games , maybe even make the playoffs but I think that will be in spite of rather than because of the QB talent. That defense will have to carry them and hope the offense doesn't make more mistakes than it can cover for.
C,
You have said at least twice now that the Texans will have to rely on the D to win games.

The 2012 Texans allowed a little more than 6 points fewer than the last year version.
The 2011 Texans allowed more than 9 points fewer.

Take either of those versions and Keenum would have won 5, 6, or maybe even 7 out of 8 games.

And that was against quite a strong schedule. (4 games against playoff teams plus a 10-6 win Cards.)

This year, the schedule is weaker (5 games against playoff teams all year) while Case has another year of experience under his belt.
How do you justify the numbers?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #1456
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 11584 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
C,
You have said at least twice now that the Texans will have to rely on the D to win games.

The 2012 Texans allowed a little more than 6 points fewer than the last year version.
The 2011 Texans allowed more than 9 points fewer.

Take either of those versions and Keenum would have won 5, 6, or maybe even 7 out of 8 games.

And that was against quite a strong schedule. (4 games against playoff teams plus a 10-6 win Cards.)

This year, the schedule is weaker (5 games against playoff teams all year) while Case has another year of experience under his belt.
How do you justify the numbers?
Good point.

Obviously the offense was bad last year, but compared to 2011-2012, the defense wasn't great either. It was a total team meltdown. I agree that if Case had had 2011's defense, or even 2012's, along with a healthy Arian Foster, he would have had a much better record. Of course, there are those who think eight games is enough to judge a QB by.

I don't really care who's the QB, as long as he earns the job. It sounds like Fitz is currently in the lead, and that's fine. I just want the best man to win the job, and it sounds like that's what BOB is going to find out.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #1457
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
Good point.

Obviously the offense was bad last year, but compared to 2011-2012, the defense wasn't great either. It was a total team meltdown. I agree that if Case had had 2011's defense, or even 2012's, along with a healthy Arian Foster, he would have had a much better record. Of course, there are those who think eight games is enough to judge a QB by.

I don't really care who's the QB, as long as he earns the job. It sounds like Fitz is currently in the lead, and that's fine. I just want the best man to win the job, and it sounds like that's what BOB is going to find out.
I don't care who wins the job either , as long as they win it ....

I don't have a horse in this race , I'm just pointing out that the QB play last year was bad , sure Case had decent games / halves and maybe should have won a few , he didn't have much to work with having street FA's line up at RB with him late in the season .... but that doesn't change the fact that the QB play was lacking.
Its a legit excuse (the lack of talent around him) but an excuse none the less and definitely doesn't excuse the biggest flaws Keenum showed last season in recognition of pressure & pre-snap reads. That's on Keenum.

What we fail to realize with the stats 76 gives is how many times the offense put the defense in bad situations ..... how many times they failed to sustain drives sending them back out on the field.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 06-11-2014   #1458
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't have a horse in this race , I'm just pointing out that the QB play last year was bad , sure Case had decent games / halves and maybe should have won a few , he didn't have much to work with having street FA's line up at RB with him late in the season .... but that doesn't change the fact that the QB play was lacking.
Its a legit excuse (the lack of talent around him) but an excuse none the less and definitely doesn't excuse the biggest flaws Keenum showed last season in recognition of pressure & pre-snap reads. That's on Keenum.

What we fail to realize with the stats 76 gives is how many times the offense put the defense in bad situations ..... how many times they failed to sustain drives sending them back out on the field.
And sometimes the defense couldn't hold the opposing offense when Lechler pinned them inside the 10. The whole team sucked last year.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #1459
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I kind of agree with both sides of this argument. The play selection, and lack of options will be clarified a bit this year. I also think we got subpar QB coaching since lil Shenanigans went to Washington.
Old 06-11-2014   #1460
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
I kind of agree with both sides of this argument. The play selection, and lack of options will be clarified a bit this year. I also think we got subpar QB coaching since lil Shenanigans went to Washington.
You can say that again
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read