Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2014   #1381
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Case would be of interest. Enough for a 7th future pick? Maybe.
Yeah, it is likely to be late round pick if that. I like Case but the way Texans are heading, I don't think Case has a chance of playing in Houston and I want Case to go somewhere that he has a chance to play at least as a back up QB.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1382
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you think he's a franchise guy, two 2nds should not be "too much." If reports are correct, the Patriots were asking for a third...
"Reports" are 5th-7th round pick.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1383
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yea same thing I've read. The "third day pick" language confused some thinking it was meant as third round.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1384
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Fwiw

Quote:
john mcclain ‏@mcclain_on_nfl · 2h
texans will not be trading for ryan mallet.
Old 05-13-2014   #1385
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Pickspatrick to start the season.

If we are winning he'll finish the season.

If we struggle things will get Savage around here.
Old 05-13-2014   #1386
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It makes zero sense for the Patriots to trade away Mallett for a late round pick, unless they don't believe he can make their roster as the backup QB. They gain nothing other than a spot on the roster if they trade Mallett for a 5th round pic or later... Here's why:

* If Mallett becomes a free agent next year, he will surely be signed by a team before June 1st, 2015 for a significant amount of money which will result in a compensatory pick for the Patroits. For instance, a 4yr-$20 million contract will likely result in a 4th round compensatory pick for NE... If he gets something north of $6 million per year (certainly possible), they would receive a 3rd round pick... (New England always loses more free agents than they sign- ensuring compensatory picks).

I believe the Texans would have to trade (at minimum) a 5th round pick with a significant conditional upgrade if he performs- performs well for them.
Old 05-13-2014   #1387
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDhXXeQLVI

Give him some protection and some good wr's.

Has to have gotten better since then too.

I really think this is our guy.
That could well have been the Case Keenum video from last year. Nothing Mallett did there that Keenum didn't do last year. And, with protection, WRs who hold onto the ball, better coaching, a better defense, a running game, and improved kicking game ... Keenum may just be better than we all think.

We'll see soon enough.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2014   #1388
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its fairly obvious that Fitzpatrick will at least start the beginning of the season. Depending on who wins the #2 role they may get some starts later in the season if we are eliminated from the playoff race.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1389
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
That could well have been the Case Keenum video from last year. Nothing Mallett did there that Keenum didn't do last year. And, with protection, WRs who hold onto the ball, better coaching, a better defense, a running game, and improved kicking game ... Keenum may just be better than we all think.

We'll see soon enough.
Agreed. If OB is the QB guru that he is portrayed to be, then we should see a very noticeable improvement in Keenum. Hell, the guy has 8 starts under his belt. The problem now is that fans are so fickle they don't want to give any QB a chance to improve. 8 games is nothing for a UDFA QB with minimal reps and a dying coaching staff.

If we would have drafted Bridgewater or Bortles and they had the same record, same stats as Keenum from last year through 8 games we would all be saying that they need at least 2 years to prove themselves.

I'm going to trust OB and assume that he can take these QB's on the roster and make them better. We lost a ton of games with Keenum last year by only 1 score. I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.

One thing is for sure, IMO, us not taking a QB in round 1 or 2 tells me that OB isn't as concerned at the QB position as we are. Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.

Here's to a successful season and a playoff birth .
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1390
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Which is more to the point. If they were looking for a 5th-7th round pick & we thought Mallett was a potential franchise QB, the deal would be done. But since we're haggling in this range (if we're indeed in talks with the Patriots) I can't imagine the Texans believing he is a serious upgrade over Fitzpatrick.

Now... maybe Mallett's agent is balking on the one year extension. If he's wanting a 4 year contract similar to what we gave Schaub, but if they thought we could win with him, I can't imagine they couldn't work something out.

All I'm saying, is the longer this goes on, the less excited I'm getting about Ryan Mallet.
Old 05-13-2014   #1391
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor B View Post
Agreed. If OB is the QB guru that he is portrayed to be, then we should see a very noticeable improvement in Keenum. Hell, the guy has 8 starts under his belt. The problem now is that fans are so fickle they don't want to give any QB a chance to improve. 8 games is nothing for a UDFA QB with minimal reps and a dying coaching staff.
& Tj has 6, three of them being wins, one of those in the play offs. Do you feel that Tj should get "chance to improve" or have you seen enough?

Quote:
I'm going to trust OB and assume that he can take these QB's on the roster and make them better. We lost a ton of games with Keenum last year by only 1 score. I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.
I agree. These QBs, if it's Case, great. It would make for a great story. But I don't care if it's Tj or Fitz, as long as we get back to winning.

Quote:
One thing is for sure, IMO, us not taking a QB in round 1 or 2 tells me that OB isn't as concerned at the QB position as we are. Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.
I think it means he doesn't believe any of the QBs available in the draft were significant upgrades over what we have. Bridgewater/Keenum... bunch of stats in ConfUSA(AAC), big whoop. Bortles/Yates big for nothing.

But he also said there wasn't much separation between the top guys & the guys like Savage. So I don't think he believes there's much difference between Savage & Tj/Case. I wouldn't start him right away either, but he may be at the point where putting him on the field is the best thing for him. Only so much you can learn on the sideline.
Old 05-13-2014   #1392
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.
If Savage doesn't win the starting job in camp, I'm worried that he might transfer to another team.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1393
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
If Savage doesn't win the starting job in camp, I'm worried that he might transfer to another team.
He would have to sit out a year. :P
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1394
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

So, switching from one "QB guru" to a new "QB guru" is going to make Keenum better? Pffft!

A couple dings on Keenum: 1. He lacks the measurements the now "QB guru" obviously wants. 2. Film. He regressed in epic fashion as games went by. He either couldn't read a defense or refused to due to looking for the big play.

I'd be surprised if he made it to camp
Old 05-13-2014   #1395
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, I hear Vince Young is back on the market.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1396
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
He would have to sit out a year. :P
He needs to sit out a year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1397
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& Tj has 6, three of them being wins, one of those in the play offs. Do you feel that Tj should get "chance to improve" or have you seen enough?
I definitely think TJ has a chance to improve under OB. I thought that Keenum was under contract for another year but they are both FA's in 2015.
Old 05-13-2014   #1398
Victor B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
So, switching from one "QB guru" to a new "QB guru" is going to make Keenum better? Pffft!

A couple dings on Keenum: 1. He lacks the measurements the now "QB guru" obviously wants. 2. Film. He regressed in epic fashion as games went by. He either couldn't read a defense or refused to due to looking for the big play.

What does Fitz have on Keenum in that category? 1" and maybe 15lbs? Not a big difference.
Old 05-13-2014   #1399
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Dre would like Mallet if he was brought in...

xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #1400
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Wouldn't you say the ENTIRE team regressed in epic fashion and he was basically a rookie QB caught in the middle? Don't you believe the coaching was bad, the kicking was bad, the OL was terrible, there wasn't a running game, and the defense was pourous? Who, except Texans fans, would expect a rookie QB to do well under such circumstances? Oh yes, Schaub and Yates both had the same circumstances and both of them were "bad" .... is there a recurring theme here?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read