Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2014   #1341
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agreed. These guys are all projects. However, the upside for the group is pretty high... Unusual for this point in the draft.
I'm still hoping we pick up BoB's favorite project QB. That would be sweet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1342
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

In comparison, TJ Yates was a 5th rounder and I think a few of the guys remaining are a step above him as a prospect.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1343
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm still hoping we pick up BoB's favorite project QB. That would be sweet.
Agreed. And, things couldn't have fallen better. We have added incredible talent at positions of need to this point and have a large menu of QBs to select from in the latter part of the draft.
Old 05-10-2014   #1344
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 22499 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
If its a lie its a lie. At least we know his source is the TEXANS gm instead of some random bs wesite. I heard him say it as well.
also, you need to sprinkle some truth between the lies otherwise you give away what you want to do
Old 05-10-2014   #1345
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Woohoo!!! I'm liking Savage!! I bet we pick another one before the draft is over.
Old 05-11-2014   #1346
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

So, who will start? Will it be Fizpatrick early and Savage after a couple of games? Keenum? I dont think Yates has a chance...

I could see Fitzpatrick starting early and then stay because of decent play, we will be running the ball most of the time anyways. But I could also see Savage be a day one starter. It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1347
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32591 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I have a list of at least 7 QBs still available that (arguably) have the tools to become a quality starting QB... The gamble has paid off... Some of this list will be available through the 6 th round... Certainly at 4.35... I expect two of these guys to be taken by Houston today:

Mettenberger
Savage
Fales
Murray
McCarrons
B.smith
L.Thomas
I'd love to get Bret Smith as an UFA, but that's unlikely.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2014   #1348
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...

I hope you have nothing to do with running this organization!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1349
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I hope you have nothing to do with running this organization!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too . Naw, Im just saying, let`s set us up for the future and see what we have with Savage. But of course, TC has to show that. If he impresses OB the way Wilson impressed at Seahwaks camp, then he should start. If OB doesn`t feel comfortable with him yet, start Fitz or Keenum.
Old 05-11-2014   #1350
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But I could also see Savage be a day one starter. It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...
I hate this kind of talk.

Are we here to win games or develop quarterbacks? When we step on the field Gameday, our goal should be singular. Winning must preside over all else. If Savage gives us the best chance to win (not at all out of the realm of possibility) then so be it.

& whether we are contenders or not is beside the point. The first goal is to be the best team in our division. Two of the other three have issues of their own, questions at QB same as us. New or fairly new coaches just the same, holes all along their depth charts as well. They hold no advantage over us.

The third team, the Colts, hopefully Denver & New England will provide us with a 2 game advantage. Meaning they have to beat Indy & we have to beat Oakland & Buffalo.
Old 05-11-2014   #1351
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I hate this kind of talk.

Are we here to win games or develop quarterbacks? When we step on the field Gameday, our goal should be singular. Winning must preside over all else. If Savage gives us the best chance to win (not at all out of the realm of possibility) then so be it.

& whether we are contenders or not is beside the point. The first goal is to be the best team in our division. Two of the other three have issues of their own, questions at QB same as us. New or fairly new coaches just the same, holes all along their depth charts as well. They hold no advantage over us.

The third team, the Colts, hopefully Denver & New England will provide us with a 2 game advantage. Meaning they have to beat Indy & we have to beat Oakland & Buffalo.
Perhaps it came off wrong. What I basically meant is: we should not be trying to just win the next game, but to set us up to win the most games in the near future. If we believe Fitz is not the answer and Savage could be, but he needs to play to develope and he is a worse player than Fitz at the start, well then play Savage. We are not here to develope QBs, we are here to form a team that can help us win. And if Fitz is not the answer and Savage is, then do everything you have to do to make sure he can do that.
Old 05-11-2014   #1352
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, who will start? Will it be Fizpatrick early and Savage after a couple of games? Keenum? I dont think Yates has a chance...

I could see Fitzpatrick starting early and then stay because of decent play, we will be running the ball most of the time anyways. But I could also see Savage be a day one starter. It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...
I'm pretty confident that Fitzpatrick will start and Keenum/Yates will battle over the backup spot. Whoever loses will be cut as Savage will be the 3rd QB and I seriously doubt we carry 4.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1353
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

And here all this time I thought anything short of a Super Bowl win was a failure. Silly me.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1354
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm pretty confident that Fitzpatrick will start and Keenum/Yates will battle over the backup spot. Whoever loses will be cut as Savage will be the 3rd QB and I seriously doubt we carry 4.
Does BoB carry three QBs on the final roster? Two QBs and a PS QB? Or three QBs and a PS QB?

Whatever happens, Fitz is on the team as is Savage. Savage isn't going to be exposed to the practice squad. Neither Yates or Keenum are eligible for the practice squad.

All that means is either Yates or Keenum says bye bye, which we already knew, and that's going to be the biggest battle in the pre-season as far as QBs go. Or as least as far as we know right now.

Old 05-11-2014   #1355
brg88tx
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected

so the rumors about extending mallett's contract a year to get the deal done were either lies or secret negotiations that stalled out.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1356
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have mixed emotions on Savage. Don't get me wrong though I love the pick.

The good news is he'd be an awesome 3rd QB that runs the scout team. His history of transferring schools and picking up different play styles and playbooks... Works perfectly in mimicking other teams offenses in prepping our defense for the next game.

On the other hand. I want him learning OUR offense and OUR terminology and be groomed to take over Fitzpatrick's job when he's ready.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1357
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
so the rumors about extending mallett's contract a year to get the deal done were either lies or secret negotiations that stalled out.
Perhaps Rick Smith was telling us the truth when he said they were not in discussion with the Patriots about Mallett.

Perhaps Ian Rapoport was throwing sh!t at the wall in keeping the rumor alive .... if you guy's haven't noticed , sports journalism has ZERO Integrity anymore , its all about being FIRST , not concise.

Hell , the editors don't even get their editing right , buncha hacks.

I find it funny people believe damn near any tweet they read from some 16 year old twit in Philly saying they have a deal in place with the Rockets for bla bla bla.

Anyone can speculate (throw sh!t at the wall to see what sticks) and a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1358
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think things fell pretty much the way OB/Smith expected it to or at least, this was one of the mainline scenarios.

I think their goal the entire time was to go with Savage and to go with Savage in this round... unless Bortles dropped into the 20's. I think Garoppolo was a smokescreen and I think the Patriots fell for it and drafted Garoppolo trying to get some leverage to force a trade and it fell through.

This eventuality was why they got Fitz. Fitzpatrick is a very smart guy, but not a great QB. He's going to be a great veteran backup, able to pick up and understand... at least intellectually... the offense and new installations quickly, able to help coach Savage, able to show him how to do the right things in the film room, able to help analyze defenses like another coach in Savage's ear. That's Fitz' main job.

In TC/PreSeason, there will be a real QB competition. Whichever of our QBs performs the best will be the starter. Whichever QB of Yates/Keenum performs the worse will be trade fodder to be the backup at Baltimore... maybe even both of them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #1359
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In TC/PreSeason, there will be a real QB competition. Whichever of our QBs performs the best will be the starter. Whichever QB of Yates/Keenum performs the worse will be trade fodder to be the backup at Baltimore... maybe even both of them.
Unless Savage just kills them in training camp, they have to have some kind of veteran backup on the roster as insurance against Fitz falling on his face and Savage not being ready. They either keep one of Yates or Keenum, or trade them both straight up for another backup they feel good about.

But that would leave them with no one experienced in the new offense. Which, in fact, none of them are. Interesting idea trading both Yates and Keenum.

Old 05-11-2014   #1360
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Interesting idea trading both Yates and Keenum.
I meant to say that both of them would be available to Baltimore for trade. Whichever one Kubiak wants and Ozzie Smith is willing to trade the most for, that's the one that should be dealt.

I don't think they have trade value to anyone but Kubiak... possibly Shanahan, but I doubt it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read