Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2014   #1321
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
What do they have left to trade for him ?! A 6th rounder ?! Doubt that's enough .... Future pick ?! Naw , cant see that either.

6th rounder sounds about right to me. Why does Mallet deserve to be worth more? And NE has every intent to try to get something for him now while they can. Mallet is in his last year and obviously won't resign with them now that Garropolo is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1322
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
When was the last time a QB from A&M, UCF, or Louisville went on to be good in the NFL?
It was a legitimate question. I legitimately can't remember the last player New England traded that was good and continued to be or ended up good somewhere else.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1323
texansfan21
waterboy

Cant wait to see J.M. be one of the best qbs in the league in a few years
texansfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1324
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
When Belichick wants to give you something you should step back and check your pockets to make sure your wallet and keys are still there. Probably should look at your watch as well.

For some reason I just feel like this is a big dicking about to happen to the Texans.
Count me in this category.
Belichick just picked up Garappolo; to me that means Mallett hasn't shown him enough to warrant a new contract with the Patriots. Belichick is just trying to collect picks for someone already on his way out.
Let him collect those picks from another team.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1325
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Belichick just picked up Garappolo; to me that means Mallett hasn't shown him enough to warrant a new contract with the Patriots. Belichick is just trying to collect picks for someone already on his way out.
Belichick is the best coach in this league. A future HOFer. But let's get real for a moment. Everything he touches does not turn to gold. He made perhaps the greatest draft pick in football history in taking Brady. Besides Brady he's drafted these QBs:

Rohan Davey -2002
Kliff Kingsbury - 2003
Matt Cassell - 2005
Kevin O'Connell - 2008
Zac Robinson - 2010
Ryan Mallett - 2011

None of the players above Mallett received a second contract from the Pats. Most because they sucked. Cassell, because they franchised then traded him. They won't/can't franchise Mallett. So if they want anything in return, it has to be in trade this year. Belichick could wait until Mallett's contract expires, then get a comp pick in 2016. Or, he could trade him now and get a conditional pick in 2015.

Rather than worry about Belichick and what he's thinking, I'm focusing on what O'Brien wants. And if Mallett is the QB he wants to coach, I'm for it. It's his job that is on the line.
Old 05-10-2014   #1326
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
It was a legitimate question. I legitimately can't remember the last player New England traded that was good and continued to be or ended up good somewhere else.
Richard Seymour was traded to the Raiders in 2009 for a 2011 1st round pick. Seymour went on to play 4 years in Oakland, going to 2 Pro Bowls. The Pats took OT Nate Solder in 2011.
Old 05-10-2014   #1327
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
In addition to what Lucky said Mallett wants a shot at a starting gig which he is not going to get in NE and they aren't going to pay close to starter money to try to keep him. I see absolutely zero quality statement in a mutual parting of the ways if/when one happens.
Old 05-10-2014   #1328
BigTallDave
noob

If we deal for mallet, it ought to be a conditional 2015 pick that moves in value dependent on the number of games started or snaps taken. Simple as that.
BigTallDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1329
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Rather than worry about Belichick and what he's thinking, I'm focusing on what O'Brien wants. And if Mallett is the QB he wants to coach, I'm for it. It's his job that is on the line.
My sentiments exactly. And since Brady is apparently gonna be in NE for a few more seasons, Belichick sees a 4-year contract for a 2nd round pick as Brady's backup more cost-effective than working out a new deal with FA Mallett.
But I think O'Brien (and Smith) demonstrated a lot of discipline by not reaching for one of these QBs as it must have been temping in certain situations the last couple days. They seem to have a plan which they are sticking with.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1330
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys need to follow Jayson Braddock on Twitter. Dropping some bombs this morning.

Talk with Pats about Mallett is ongoing, never stopped
Mallett is #1 vet target for a potential trade, but there are "others"
Pats drafted Garrappollo for leverage. They liked him but knew Houston wanted him
Texans traded up for nix after Pats for Garp because the rest of the QBs they know will all drop
Mallett trade would be for a 6th round in 2015 at best
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1331
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet McGloin is someone they are following too. I would wait until he is cut though.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1332
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I bet McGloin is someone they are following too. I would wait until he is cut though.
He's looks to be odd man out over there now that Mr Mittens jr was drafted.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1333
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a list of at least 7 QBs still available that (arguably) have the tools to become a quality starting QB... The gamble has paid off... Some of this list will be available through the 6 th round... Certainly at 4.35... I expect two of these guys to be taken by Houston today:

Mettenberger
Savage
Fales
Murray
McCarrons
B.smith
L.Thomas
Old 05-10-2014   #1334
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I have a list of at least 7 QBs still available that (arguably) have the tools to become a quality starting QB...
What? You've either re-defined the term "quality" or you think this is the greatest QB draft in history. The last time 7 QBs that came out of a single draft started 16 games or more in their career was 2005. That includes "quality" QBs like Fitzpatrick, Derek Anderson, and Charley Frye. The greatest QB draft in history, 1983, had 5 quality starters total. And that's including an injury marred Tony Eason.

I can see one of these guys eventually earning a starting gig. 3 or 4 who could develop as backups. Two guys who will probably never make a roster as a QB. What's left is almost throwaway picks. I'll go out on a limb and say McCarron could become a Schaub type starter. But it's a shaky limb.
Old 05-10-2014   #1335
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Any QB taken this far down is a project and isn't going to start unless he's forced into the game by injuries to the other QBs. They guys that are left are not ready to step onto the field and lead a team in the NFL. Doesn't mean that can't be eventually trained to do so, but expected a starting QB this late is wishful thinking.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1336
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Any QB taken this far down is a project and isn't going to start unless he's forced into the game by injuries to the other QBs. They guys that are left are not ready to step onto the field and lead a team in the NFL. Doesn't mean that can't be eventually trained to do so, but expected a starting QB this late is wishful thinking.
I'm a Houston Texan fan.

I'm not above a little wishful thinking.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #1337
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm a Houston Texan fan.

I'm not above a little wishful thinking.
Well, yeah, there is that. LOL

Old 05-10-2014   #1338
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What? You've either re-defined the term "quality" or you think this is the greatest QB draft in history. The last time 7 QBs that came out of a single draft started 16 games or more in their career was 2005. That includes "quality" QBs like Fitzpatrick, Derek Anderson, and Charley Frye. The greatest QB draft in history, 1983, had 5 quality starters total. And that's including an injury marred Tony Eason.

I can see one of these guys eventually earning a starting gig. 3 or 4 who could develop as backups. Two guys who will probably never make a roster as a QB. What's left is almost throwaway picks. I'll go out on a limb and say McCarron could become a Schaub type starter. But it's a shaky limb.
I am not predicting it... Simply saying that there is a large group with enough skills that a number of NFL guys believe in their potential. Often, at this point, there is maybe one guy left with NFL skills. I always liked the idea of grabbing tow guys in the middle rounds, getting them in the building, and seeing who developed.
Old 05-10-2014   #1339
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Agreed. These guys are all projects. However, the upside for the group is pretty high... Unusual for this point in the draft.
Old 05-10-2014   #1340
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agreed. These guys are all projects. However, the upside for the group is pretty high... Unusual for this point in the draft.
I'm still hoping we pick up BoB's favorite project QB. That would be sweet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read